Engine wont start

Neuromancer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have trouble... Starting the bike for the first time after winter, everything seems fine (neutral light, no error, immobiliser ok), starter turns, but the engine wont run. Strange thing is after every attempted start the fuel pump pumps again. Pre-start maintenance included (besides the usual) changing battery (old one was dead).
Anyone knows where the problem could be?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Engines need 3 things to run: air, fuel and spark. With no codes or other information, I would start looking at spark. Air is rarely a problem and your info about the fuel pump leads me to think it is getting fuel.

Be mindful that an engine without spark will flood, so even if you fix the problem it may not start until after the plugs are given some time to dry.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the above.

Simply pull #4 spark plug (unless you have a spare (right most plug). Attach it back to the lead, ground it and crank the engine. Should be a good spark.

Please take note if the plug is dry or wet with fuel.

If its wet, to start that flooded engine, hold the throttle WIDE OPEN (ALL THE WAY). Crank the bike 6-7 seconds at a time (no more as it's not good for the starter), repeat(WOT). If its flooded, that will ge it running..

Please post your findings...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump priming at the end of cranking seems odd. However, I have nothing to go on as my bike has never failed to start so it may be normal??? :don'tknow::don'tknow:

Q? Sorry if it seems stupid; but, is the fuel line fully seated on the fuel rail??? Some may remove the tank during battery replacement and this would require disconnecting fuel supply.

Also, with the tank lifted, you could dribble some fuel into the open throttle bodies (remove air box lid) and pour in a few drops into each throttle body. Try starting it. [MENTION=23548]Neuromancer[/MENTION]

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The fuel pump priming at the end of cranking seems odd. However, I have nothing to go on as my bike has never failed to start so it may be normal??? :don'tknow::don'tknow:

I just turned the key on (didn't start) and of course it primed. Turned it off and back on seconds later, re-primed!. Did that several times, primed..

Didn't think it would do that (figured it'd hold some pressure), but it did and runs fine, so for the op, apparently THATS's normal.

I'm assuming (I know), that on initial trying to start, you DIDN'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE. You shouldn't have to un-less flooded..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just turned the key on (didn't start) and of course it primed. Turned it off and back on seconds later, re-primed!. Did that several times, primed..

Didn't think it would do that (figured it'd hold some pressure), but it did and runs fine, so for the op, apparently THATS's normal.

I'm assuming (I know), that on initial trying to start, you DIDN'T TOUCH THE THROTTLE. You shouldn't have to un-less flooded..

^^ :thumbup: ^^

Here's to taking one for the team.... I keep doing experiments on mine to gather knowledge. So far nothing to invasive other than abusing the starter...

Xlrrp

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a weird issue with mine a few weeks ago where it would fail to start at random times. Engine cranked fine, fuel pump could be heard when the key was turned on but nothing.

Turned out it was my ignition (key) switch. I lubed it (lock ease and then WD40) and the problem is completely gone. Never had a bike do anything like that before.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I have trouble... Starting the bike for the first time after winter, everything seems fine (neutral light, no error, immobiliser ok), starter turns, but the engine wont run. Strange thing is after every attempted start the fuel pump pumps again. Pre-start maintenance included (besides the usual) changing battery (old one was dead).
Anyone knows where the problem could be?

Any Updates??? Even a SINGLE RESPONSE?

Neuromancer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the advice, spark plugs were the cause! Engine was flooded too. After changing the plugs I cranked the engine with full throttle for 5 seconds, 2 times. It didnt start and I was afraid to damage the starter, so I left it like it was thinking the problem will be elsewhere. Next day I checked the spark plug cable connections again and cranked the engine once more. After ~5 seconds it started up! I was so happy to finally hear it running. I changed the oil, lubed the chain, did a quick test ride, checked quickly if something isnt leaking and off I went.

Thanks a lot, quick and on-the-spot advice.