Euro Signals on US Bike, anyone try this?

jdough7

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for clear lense, forward turn signals for my '06. I like the Euro model at clear alternatives much better than the US spec at this website

Clear Alternatives: YAMAHA

Anyone know if I could put the Euro spec signals on my US ride?

Thanks,
Jay

You probably can, but there may be small differences in the size of the mounting holes. Nothing a washer or drill can't fix. There could be minor wiring issues but turn signals are pretty straight forward, two wires usually or three if the bike has the signals on in a dimmer state as running lights.

I think the main difference between the signals is that the housing size is dictated by euro or US regulations. Euro bikes are allowed smaller signals than are north american bikes.

The Euro turn signals don't include a running light function, they have single filament two wire bulbs that just flash. If you need to keep them as running lights you may have to do some extensive internal modifications.

Yes they will fit as a direct replacement, the mounting is the exact same size.
As mentioned above, they're only 2 wires though, so no running lights, and the bulbs are 12V/10W instead of 12/21W, so you will either need a new relay, some resistance or new bulbs to bring back the flashing speed to normal.

And more important, you will have to import the turn signals first.. the link you posted above is only for the clear lenses, not the whole euro turn signal assembly.

Last edited:
Yes they will fit as a direct replacement, the mounting is the exact same size.
As mentioned above, they're only 2 wires though, so no running lights, and the bulbs are 12V/10W instead of 12/21W, so you will either need a new relay, some resistance or new bulbs to bring back the flashing speed to normal.

And more important, you will have to import the turn signals first.. the link you posted above is only for the clear lenses, not the whole euro turn signal assembly.
Ooh! I didn't know the US indicators were 21 watts. Does anyone know if we can get the US relays in the UK? My system didn't like my after market 23w bulbs - but they are so much better than the 10w I've had to stick in. :(

So I got a set of the Euro signals for my 05. Does anyone know what type of mods need to be done...anyone do a write up somewhere to keep the lights as running lights and get them to flash correctly?

Thanks -

I think the biggest problem is going to be finding 21W 2 filament bulbs (running light + flash) that fit in the euro housing. It's pretty small in there since they run only 10W bulbs in Europe. You might have to look into LEDs setup and get an LED relay etc.. and you'll have to run a third wire to the housing, which probably means a different bulb prong.

If you're not dead set on keeping the turn signals as running lights, you can find 21W/12V halogen bulbs that fit in the housing. This makes the turn signals plug and play and keep them flashing at the speed as the stock ones. I can dig up the reference for you if you're interested.

I think the biggest problem is going to be finding 21W 2 filament bulbs (running light + flash) that fit in the euro housing. It's pretty small in there since they run only 10W bulbs in Europe. You might have to look into LEDs setup and get an LED relay etc.. and you'll have to run a third wire to the housing, which probably means a different bulb prong.

If you're not dead set on keeping the turn signals as running lights, you can find 21W/12V halogen bulbs that fit in the housing. This makes the turn signals plug and play and keep them flashing at the speed as the stock ones. I can dig up the reference for you if you're interested.

Got the signals and they are alot smaller and look WAY better - Looks OEM from Yamaha the way it should have been. Now the issue is getting them to work.

I need the running light function. So what I was thinking is gutting both turn signals and replacing the inner of the US with the Euro - but like you said there is not much room in there at all so without taking anything apart yet that may not be the way to go.

The internals look like LED for this signal since there is a curcuit board in there that the two wires attach to.

I can take pics and post them.

I thought there was soem type of conversion you could do if you used 2 wire on the US bikes (I thought the LED turn signals required this?)

Sorry I have rebuilt many engines and everything related to cars and bikes mechanically - wiring - not my strong point.

Thanks -

Here is the link -

Yamaha FZ6 Fazer 04-05 Indicator Complete with Clear Lens LED - Front Left Parts at Wemoto - The UK's No.1 On-Line Motorcycle Parts Retailer

So duh they are LED it says it right there - (sorry pretty dumb)

So with two wires how to wire them up as running lights and turn signals just leaving them as is?

What about something like this?

http://www.customled.com/products/magic_blinker/magic_blinker.htm

Would this let me use them as running lights and as turn signals that flash correctly?

Last edited:
Interesting that yours are LEDs.. Mine are definitely not, and I doubt Yamaha would be so kind as to put LED turn signal on stock euro bikes.. that's probably why they're 60 quids a pair.

I think the second link you posted should work just fine to get the running lights working. The turn signals will probably flash fast though. If you want to correct this, you'll have to get an LED specific relay.

It is interesting - they come with the OEM yamaha connectors. I thought the magic blinker took care of the speed issue for the flashing.

If not where can I get an LED specific flasher relay for an 05?

Also - so the running lights are only active for the front turn signals not the rear (funny how you own a bike for 7 years and not pay attention to that. So for the rear LED's they should just be plug and play(except for the flashing) since they are not used and running lights?

For the fron use the magic blinker setup to use as running lights? I think they contain a diode to chill the flashing but could be wrong.

The same company also sells LED relays: Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

But.. shoot them an email before getting an extra relay.. I have no experience with their products, so maybe you don't need the relay. I would hate to misguide you and make you spend an extra $20.

And yes, for the rear, plug and play besides the *potential* flashing fast condition.

Back