Excited About This Note From Madstad:

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
I wrote:

Have a 2009 Yamaha FZ6. Not FZ1 and not FZ6R. At least one other FZ6er has your DIY kit and I believe 20" Spyder shield. He had to "bend" the brackets to align with holes in shield--don't know if he meant stock shield or spyder. Do you have to customize your brackets for the FZ6? Is there a specific FZ6 kit yet?

Are my cheesy stock shield screws believed to be strong enough to support any additional stress from a larger/taller/more upright bolt-on shield?

I don't mind drilling my stock shield as I have a Puig Racing shield for summer. But do you offer a "stiffer" shield for the 2009 FZ6? Seems the pic of FZ6R on your site maybe had a Madstad product instead of a stock shield.

Oh, and I'd probably go 20", but are 18" and 20" the only sizes offered?

Thanks!.....Jeff.

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I do have a specific adapter plate for your FZ6. We have a customer riding around with one but we never got around to putting it up on our web site. We've just been swamped the last few months but I recently hired a web guy who will be updating our site with lots of new products, and the system for your bike is one of them.

It works like the other RoboBracket systems: we replace the stock shield with a metal one, and our RoboBrackets bolt to that. Our metal adapter plate/shield is stronger than your stock or Puig plastic shield, and you don't need to drill any holes in them. Then a new shield (with central holes) attaches to the RoboBrackets and becomes the new primary adjustable shield.

So, we have a complete drop-in kit available, however I don't have any of the FZ6 adapter plates in stock at the moment. We are making some tomorrow and will send them out to powder coating, so I should have some in stock in about a week. We have a few choices on the shield color and size, and regarding size the answer is no, we can also make taller or shorter shields but in my experience the 18" and 20" will cover 95% of riders. Our brackets have a height range of about 5" and because the aerodynamics of our system is so different, a smaller shield on our brackets will outperform a larger shield attached to your fairing. And usually by a long shot. If you are 5'11" or shorter then the 18" should be fine, and 6'0" or taller then go with the 20".

As for shield color, we have four tints available now which you can see on our Windshields page here:

Windshields

The style shown in the photos is the "Adventure" shape but that's not what would normally go on the FZ6. The sportier shapes would be the Spyder or the Sport CR.

Thank you for your interest, and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Best regards,
Mark Stadnyk
MadStad Engineering
(352)608-4069
Home - Madstad Engineering
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edited to add this followup note from Mark after I asked about price and again about using better screws. He again responded very promptly. Just need to decide shield style, height, and color!

The whole kit is $289.95 plus about $18-$20 shipping. I will include a set of stainless steel shield screws so you can replace those cheap plastic ones from Yamaha, I don't trust those things either. For the extra few cents I wonder why a manufacturer would cheap out and use plastic screws, just doesn't make sense to me. You don't have to worry about damaging the fairing, the weakest one I've ever seen is on the Triumph Tiger 1050 and one of our customers took it to a track and drove it at 140 mph with no problems. That bike has no support whatsoever around the top of the fairing, whereas your FZ6 has metal support up top for the mirror stems. Our metal plate adds even more strength so you should have no problems with the extra size, weight and air pressure from a larger shield.

Best regards,
Mark Stadnyk
MadStad Engineering
(352)608-4069
http://www.madstad.com

Last edited:

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can go to lowes and buy metal screws to replace your plastic ones for about one dollar. I would assume they used plastic ones so owners would not torque them down too tight and crack their windscreen.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that is a company I'd do business with! Thanks for posting and don't forget pics when done!

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
i have the yamaha brand touring screen thats 4 inches taller than stock
it was only $120 and drops right in and its smoke which makes the bike look better than the clear screen they make one even taller than mine though and a yami dealer should be able to get one in stock pretty easy:thumbup: oh and i have a S2 (09) also for a geometry standpoint im 6' and the buffeting from the wind is gone for me and if i hide behind it all i hear is the purr of the 4banger under the tank

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
i have the yamaha brand touring screen thats 4 inches taller than stock
it was only $120 and drops right in and its smoke which makes the bike look better than the clear screen they make one even taller than mine though and a yami dealer should be able to get one in stock pretty easy:thumbup: oh and i have a S2 (09) also for a geometry standpoint im 6' and the buffeting from the wind is gone for me and if i hide behind it all i hear is the purr of the 4banger under the tank

Thanks. Tried the Yamaha touring screen on a friends identical 2009 bike. Still get wind noise through the top of the helmet and a little buffeting and I'm just 5'9". I'm hoping the height and angle adjustments plus the additional width of the Madstad over stock will create a little better pocket around the head.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
here's a pic from the website:
media.nl

D

Dave.TX

Jeff, I got almost identical emails from them last week too. I'll be purchasing when they get the kit in stock. Want the Spyder 20" screen as I'm 6'4" and getting light smoke. This seems to be the only setup that works for everyone, just takes a little adjustment and leave it. Other screens work for some, not for others and I don't want to try the "which one will work for me" thing where you hope the first one is the right one.

My bike is already headed towards sport touring status, this windscreen should help out a lot with the wind buffeting.

Pseudo-Fed

Reaction score
Visit site
Jeff, I got almost identical emails from them last week too. I'll be purchasing when they get the kit in stock. Want the Spyder 20" screen as I'm 6'4" and getting light smoke. This seems to be the only setup that works for everyone, just takes a little adjustment and leave it. Other screens work for some, not for others and I don't want to try the "which one will work for me" thing where you hope the first one is the right one.

My bike is already headed towards sport touring status, this windscreen should help out a lot with the wind buffeting.

I'll race you to posting pics up here after our installs.....:BLAA:

D

Dave.TX

I'll race you to posting pics up here after our installs.....:BLAA:

I'm gonna lose at that one since I'm not the quickest at getting pics. I do installs then think, "I should have taken pics during the install." I did snap a pic of my 12v outlet and GPS. They're not posted here, just uploaded them to photobucket. Although the black bike pictured above is similar to mine except I'll have a tinted screen instead of clear. Maybe I'll get clear...

I may try, though! :spank:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brahms

Reaction score
Visit site
Why They Use Plastic Screws (or Well Nuts)

Don't see this addressed anywhere else here. Motorcycle (and most windshield) manufacturers use plastic screws or rubber wellnuts to keep you from slicing yourself in half in a front-impact accident. The idea is that when you hit the windshield, the mount will break away.

On my V-Strom I have a Madstad mount and a small Cee Bailey. The Cee Bailey is attached to the Madstad with stainless screws and rubber wellnuts. Choose what you like for yourself. I prefer to keep all important rider body parts, even though I'm no longer swimming in the gene pool.

xDavidx

Overlord of the Universe
Reaction score
Visit site
You can go to lowes and buy metal screws to replace your plastic ones for about one dollar. I would assume they used plastic ones so owners would not torque them down too tight and crack their windscreen.

Do you know the size/part number of the screws? I broke one of mine when I installed the Puig racing screen. :(