F800R or?

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I still love my FZ6 but I think I will be moving on this fall.
Choosing between many different bikes but keep coming to F800R.
I will test ride it at the end of May to get hands on experience.
Also looking at Hornet 919, Fz1 and FZ8, etc - they all have plenty of info and I know lots of FZ6 people who moved on to them.
As for F800R - I found bunch of forums, etc but would like to hear from fellow forum members. Please share your experience if you moved to F800R from FZ6 or from FZ6 to F800R.
Two main questions:
Ponies - do you feel a lot of difference compared to FZ6? Is it considerable downgrade?
Torque - do gobs of torque outweigh lesser HP?

ordnance3466

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a big FZ8 fan and have thought about upgrading several times.

As for price, I have found many 2011 FZ8s in the $4000-$6000 range. I think the F800R will be a bit more pricey. If your looking at new, the BMW is a bit more like $1300 or so, so really comes down to the creature comforts.

As for the torque/horsepower difference from FZ6-F800R, going from about 46ft/lbs to 63 ft/lbs will be considerable. The acceleration and lower end should be much more responsive, but will lose a bit at higher speeds (to include top speed) and upper RPM range do to a drop in HP.

Another way to say this is on the FZ6 the acceleration (wide open throttle) is stunted until about 7,000 RPM...then it begins to pull like crazy. The F800R will feel much smoother and the pull you feel should be similar at lower RPMs as it is at Higher RPMs. You will still have more pull at higher RPMs due to the powerband, but it will be closer in comparison than the FZ6.

I hope this made sense. If not I can try to explain it a different way. :thumbup:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the big question is what kind of riding do you like to do, I've never rode one but I think the f800r would end up being pretty much the same as the fz6 total performance wise but more city friendly with the extra tq. So IMHO if you want to upgrade go with the the 919 or the fz1, if you just want a different ride go for the f800r or the fz8

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"Please share your experience if you moved to F800R from FZ6 or from FZ6 to F800R."

Hmmmmm..........:BLAA:

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you everyone for responses - I was thinking alone the same lines.
Not sure if I gonna go used or new - still undecided.
Its just ever since F800R was released in Europe - I have this feeling it is calling out to me! I do like 919 a lot and I am still in love with FZ6 - it is now fully decked to my specs and I enjoy every second of riding it.

Most of my riding is in the city and I do several long trips every year (from 2 days to 4-5 days). And that's why F800R also attracts me - seems to be suited great for my kind of activities.

As for FZ8 - love the looks but honestly I'd rather get FZ1 with low mileage and fully equipped with bags, seat, pipes, levers, etc.

Still waiting if there is a chance someone did make the switch and can share personal experience.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode the F800S and ST, pretty much the same bikes, except for the plastics.
the torque is there, and easy access. Its a bmw so build quality is excelent.
I owned an fz6 and fz1, and if I had to choose between an f800, fz6 or fz1 I'd go for the f800.
The engine is more fun than an fz6. and the fz1 is just crazy on power, but with poor ergonomics (for me, weird angle my legs end up in)

Pro's
-Fuel efficiency, on every litre of fuel, the bmw does 20km's, the fz6 +-15, the fz1 12.
-Overal quality, the yamaha's are nice, but the way the f800's been put together is much more solid to the touch.
-Torque max available at 6000 rpm, at that rpm, the fz1 and 6 get ready to go.
-BHP is fun on highways, at the twisties torque is much more important.

cons
-Its a paralel 2 cilinder engine, and sounds like one :p
-No fairing, if you had a naked fz6 its not a con though.

thats all I can think of right now.

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode the F800S and ST, pretty much the same bikes, except for the plastics.
the torque is there, and easy access. Its a bmw so build quality is excelent.
I owned an fz6 and fz1, and if I had to choose between an f800, fz6 or fz1 I'd go for the f800.
The engine is more fun than an fz6. and the fz1 is just crazy on power, but with poor ergonomics (for me, weird angle my legs end up in)

Pro's
-Fuel efficiency, on every litre of fuel, the bmw does 20km's, the fz6 +-15, the fz1 12.
-Overal quality, the yamaha's are nice, but the way the f800's been put together is much more solid to the touch.
-Torque max available at 6000 rpm, at that rpm, the fz1 and 6 get ready to go.
-BHP is fun on highways, at the twisties torque is much more important.

cons
-Its a paralel 2 cilinder engine, and sounds like one :p
-No fairing, if you had a naked fz6 its not a con though.

thats all I can think of right now.

Thank you! I can't wait to try it - naked is not a concern for me.
I did naked conversion on FZ6 and loved the feeling of going back to naked (almost all of my bikes before FZ6 were naked)
I do like mileage on f800 and would love to explore the torque.
I guess my main concern is (or already was?) going from almost 100hp to 80hp.
One little thing (and I think the only one) - I am not a big fan of cluster lay out on f800r. why not make speedo digital and leave tach analogue is beyond me.
And for finish and quality - toatlly agree. Not all BMWs create equal but at least in cars I love my bimmers, my oldest is 2002 325 wagon and to this day it is as good as new and I am still excited to drive it. I hope if I go for the f800r beamer - experience will be the same.

as for the sound - arrow sounds pretty good on it. I am ready for downgrade - I don't think any bike I am loking at can match sound of my FZ6 with Leo's (silencers out)

Last edited:

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't touch the Beamer... Here in north america, the term excellent quality and build isn't usually used in the same sentence as BMW... Just ask any adv guy about Beamer's shaft drive quality on their adventure bikes... My money would got to Triumph if I was to unload my FZ6... In fact if Triumph ever comes out with a faired version of the Street Triple (keeping the upright seating position), I'll dump the FZ6 and be first in line to buy...

Last edited:

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't touch the Beamer... Here in north america, the term excellent quality and build isn't usually used in the same sentence as BMW... Just ask any adv guy about Beamer's shaft drive quality on their adventure bikes... My money would got to Triumph if I was to unload my FZ6... In fact if Triumph ever comes out with a faired version of the Street Triple (keeping the upright seating position), I'll dump the FZ6 and be first in line to buy...

I have opposite experience with BMWs. There also multiple threads on advrider about FD problems and it is not as bad as it sounds. It also comes down on how bike was used, maintained, ridden, etc. There is no denial there are some known FD problems but from what I gather from my friends with GSs and from some folks on advrider - no one had experience of FD failing on them unexpectedly. There are tell tell signs usually and if you take care of your bike - you will likely see them in advance. I see so many extremely high mileage beamers - it just blows my mind some times.
Moreover - F800R is chain and not shaftie.
As for Triumph - love the bikes but dealer and service network is scarce.
If I am in the boonies - I have much better chances getting out to Yammie and BMW dealer.
I'd still love to get Speed Triple for city but my CFO (aka wife) only allows one bike so far :-(

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
My money would got to Triumph if I was to unload my FZ6... In fact if Triumph ever comes out with a faired version of the Street Triple (keeping the upright seating position), I'll dump the FZ6 and be first in line to buy...

+1 on Triumph. Just demoed a Daytona 675 last week and really loved that engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Triumph. Just demoed a Daytona 675 last week and really loved that engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried Daytona last year -OMG, awesome machine! Triumph's three cyclinder is sure piece of art.
But I think I am getting old as I would not be able to live with it as daily ride - seating position was extreme to me.

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried Daytona last year -OMG, awesome machine! Triumph's three cyclinder is sure piece of art.
But I think I am getting old as I would not be able to live with it as daily ride - seating position was extreme to me.

I am young and I couldnt deal with that seating position every day! To be honest I was pretty happy getting back on my FZ after riding the Daytona. I just loved the power delivery of that triple. Tons of torque down low AND tons of power up top. Wish they would have had a demo Street Triple R for me to ride to compare the two. I agree with your worries about the lack of dealer support for Triumph though. People come from hundreds of miles away to purchase bikes and get service from the dealer near me in Kalamazoo.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
i had the f800gs. 14k miles.
nice parallel twin engine.
unless you really want ABS and heated grips, get the triumph.
i think the reviewers in the vid i posted said the triumph had more power and cost less.
ABS on a bike is a great thing. Heated grips aren't as good as heated gloves, so don't bother.
does the triumph had switchable ABS? that would be nice.

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i had the f800gs. 14k miles.
nice parallel twin engine.
unless you really want ABS and heated grips, get the triumph.
i think the reviewers in the vid i posted said the triumph had more power and cost less.
ABS on a bike is a great thing. Heated grips aren't as good as heated gloves, so don't bother.
does the triumph had switchable ABS? that would be nice.

A friend of mine owns a f800gs, he said he looked at the triumph tiger 800c,
but if you intend to offroad, the 800c might be equal in ride/comfort, but the way its built might make it an expensive option. The entire rear frame is 1 single unit. Break it and you have to replace the entire thing. The f800gs' rear frame is more modular. On pavement the tiger might be better because of the smooth 3 cilinder engine.

What was said about the drive shaft on the bmw's; true, in the early series of r1200's there were some issues. BMW said you never had to change the drive shaft oil, they were wrong. but within the warranty periods they were swapped, outside of warranty you'd get a good deal.

BMW F800R vs Triump street triple. Thats a tough one :spank:
Both great bikes, and both deserve a testride. I considered getting a street triple after my fz6, but chose differently and never test rode the triple..

mongol777

Reaction score
Visit site
Triumph is not gonna happen for me as one and only bike - love the bikes but as I said dealer network is scarce.
And yesterday night I totally forgot about F800R and now in love with girl from totally different league:
66179639.jpg

I even decided which colors I want:
Gray and blue
Checkered
Black
I've been reading all night about this bike and looks like it fits the bill.
Unless I meet another beauty shortly - I will finish this season in peace on my FZ6 and will start looking for K1200RS in fall.