Fault code 46?

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Woke to find a dead battery on the bike. Jumped the battery using an unstarted car battery. Now receiving fault code 46. Could loose screws on the battery cause this? I had to loosen the screws a turn or two to get the cables underneath and did not tighten them before putting bike back together. Any ideas?

Fault Code: 46
Diagnostic Code: --
Symptom: Power supply to the FI system is not normal.

Probable cause of malfunction:
Malfunction in "CHARGING SYSTEM".

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could it be that the starter motor is not receiving charge? or that the starter motor has died?

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
Loose connections can do this as the power from the slave battery cant be drawn by the starter through a poor connection, also the highest consumer (starter) will rob current away from a low consumer (ecu).
Modern ECU's an electronics dont like poor connections and arcing and this can bring up fault codes.
I normally make the connection, start the engine and then let it run 10 to 20 mins allowing the generator to charge the battery, then switch off, disconnect the jump leads, and if your charging system and battery are ok it should then start on its own.
Not sure if its possible to reset the fault codes without a viit to Yamaha maybe somebody else on the forum can advise, it might reset itself after a run.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I hit the starter it just clicks/buzzes and does not try to start.
Have you taken the bike for a good run to charge the battery? Or checked the power discharge from the battery as it sounds like there is not enough power to turn it over.
Can you jump start it?

Nelly

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
As a footnote, If you have a flat battery, Older bikes and cars are generally fine with jump starting but anything that has an ECU, can bus, etc I would suggest the utmost care.
Modern vehicle electrics don't like surges and spikes in power, just like a computer which the ECU is.
1. Ideally use slave start box with switched leads.
2. Make sure your connections are firm and not likely to slip off.
3. When the connections are made allow the batteries to equalise their voltage for about five Min's, this will also allow the ecu to wake up gradually and prevents spikes.
4. Start engine and run 10-20 Min's leaving jump leads in place.
5. Only remove the jump leads when the engine and ignition has been switched off.
6, The bike should then start without the jump leads, providing the battery and charging system is OK.
7. If it is still showing signs of a flat battery its probably best not to jump start it and ride as if the battery is not accepting a charge you could blow the rectifier or if the generator is not charging the battery you will only get a short distance before there is no power left in the battery to power the electrics and the engine cuts.

There are all sorts of tests that you need to do to determine what caused the discharged battery, current drain, battery condition, charging system etc but these will require a volt meter and amp clamp and i dont want to bore everyone.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. To reset the fault codes you just need to disconnect the battery for about 10-15 minutes. Turned out the battery was on its last legs and the cold weather this weekend finally killed it. It was holding a weak charge but wasn't capable of holding a full charge. Got a new battery and while I was at it got a trickle charger and battery leads (with inline fuse). I can't really use the trickle charger on a regular basis because I live in a townhouse without a garage but now I don't have to pull everything off to get to the battery leads.

New battery (came fulyl charged) and charger were $100 total.

FooFazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad its all now sorted, now you can get back out there and give it some!:rockon: