Fazer V Aprilia Shiver

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
I went from an 04 Fazer to an 08 Aprilia Shiver back to an 08 Fazer and I want to compare the three.
The Aprilia:Smile on your face every time you hear that V-Twin,great gear box once its run in,decent handling,3 engine modes Touring,Rain ,Sport,beautiful to look at good spec hydraulic clutch etc.Only one problem,mine was totally unreliable and parts are harder to get than a policeman not in a car and the after sales service sucks.Its marketed against bikes like the Fazer in the UK but so far is not reliable enough to compete.
The Fazer;I must say the 08 is a big improvement on the 04 but some faults still remain;I still find the gearbox very clunky and very hard to change down if you have to stop in a high gear suddenly.Yes I know you just let out the clutch a little but you shouldnt have to.It could still do with more bottom end although the S2 is better but I think they may have changed the gearing to achieve this as it seems to rev very highly in 6th gear and I dont remember this on the 04.
These are the only real problems in an overall brilliant package and I am more than happy to be back on a Fazer.
Ive done the headlight mod,R&Gs are on,bellypan is fitted and this Thursday with the first service Im getting the new style Scorpions.
Im going to have the seat modified so I dont slope in to the tank and I can sit a bit further back and once its all done I wiil post some pics.:thumbup:

ROACH1111

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been attracted to the looks of the Shiver, but haven't ever ridden a V-twin. Thanks for the review!:thumbup:

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
My previous bike was a monster 1000DS. Great bike. But not practical enough or comfortable enough for long rides. (though i did some big miles regardless)

So the FZ6 hits the spot for me. Though, I do miss the instant grunt and sound of the 1000cc L-twin. It certainly isn't that big an issue.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Great comparison, ranieri. I've been on my FZ6 for nearly 3 years now and it's been nothing but wonderful (and isn't going anywhere anytime soon if I can help it!).

I actually just got my first chance to ride a buddy's Ducati 696 a couple of weeks ago. While it's a beautiful piece of machinery, I wouldn't want it as my only bike. For starters, the seating position is just WAY too uncomfortable. Not that you're leaned forward too badly (although obviously more than the FZ6), but it put me in a sitting-on-my-nuts position that just wasn't comfortable. And while I LOVED the torque and low-end grunt, I really missed the fun-factor of wringing it out and hearing that screaming I-4. I realized that it's doubtful I'll ever want or own a v-twin over an I-4 for that very reason (and yes, I know the 696 isn't a v-twin...but it's comparable).

Of all the bikes I've ridden so far, my FZ6 is the most fun and most practical...BY FAR.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is the selling point of the FZ6S2 - the overall package. The Shiver is a gorgeous bike, but from what I have read has not really held up against competitors like the street triple. It is also not quite the beginner bik the 696 is. I think it will have a hard time carving its niche.

ranieri

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi
I went from an 04 Fazer to an 08 Aprilia Shiver back to an 08 Fazer and I want to compare the three.
The Aprilia:Smile on your face every time you hear that V-Twin,great gear box once its run in,decent handling,3 engine modes Touring,Rain ,Sport,beautiful to look at good spec hydraulic clutch etc.Only one problem,mine was totally unreliable and parts are harder to get than a policeman not in a car and the after sales service sucks.Its marketed against bikes like the Fazer in the UK but so far is not reliable enough to compete.
The Fazer;I must say the 08 is a big improvement on the 04 but some faults still remain;I still find the gearbox very clunky and very hard to change down if you have to stop in a high gear suddenly.Yes I know you just let out the clutch a little but you shouldnt have to.It could still do with more bottom end although the S2 is better but I think they may have changed the gearing to achieve this as it seems to rev very highly in 6th gear and I dont remember this on the 04.
These are the only real problems in an overall brilliant package and I am more than happy to be back on a Fazer.
Ive done the headlight mod,R&Gs are on,bellypan is fitted and this Thursday with the first service Im getting the new style Scorpions.
Im going to have the seat modified so I dont slope in to the tank and I can sit a bit further back and once its all done I wiil post some pics.:thumbup:
Oh Yeah, I just remembered something;every time it rained heavy the full beam on the Shiver headlight would stick on for about three days till it dried out making you very popular with other road users!!:eek: