February Ride over 7200' Donner Pass

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
A little background for those of you not familiar with Northern Nevada/Northern California history. The Donner party was a pioneer group attempting to reach California Gold Rush in 1800's. Almost all perished in a horrible winter with snowdrifts up to 20 feet deep. Many reports of cannibalism have surfaced. I-80 goes close to their actual route just West of Truckee, CA. Their campsite and wagon wheel ruts can be seen along the old highway that parallels I-80.

View attachment 56151
This plaque can be found along the Old Highway that over looks beautiful Donner Lake. A friend of ours that rode with us altered a pic of the actual plaque. SSA is the acronym for Sierra Sportbike Assoc. That's the local group my hubby and I ride with frequently. Good group of guys (and a couple of us gals).

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Where exactly is the plaque? At the East end of Donner Lake near the park?

It's a real shame we are riding the high country this winter, dang drought- there should be feet of snow up there. However it was a bit chilly when I rode through Truckee last month on my way south the ride with the SoCal Hoons.
:eek:
IMG_3583_zpshp8bljr9.jpg

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
The plaque is on the old Highway 40 that parallels 80. It's at an overlook spot about halfway up. Just before the arched bridge you can see from 80. It doesn't have the bit about by motorcycle. A friend of ours added that to our pic.

It was so weird to be riding by Sugar Bowl, Soda Springs, and Donner Ski Ranch on a motorycle and having to stop for skiers and snowboarders that were crossing the street to get to their cars. Roads were clear of snow and ice, a few spots had sand but not much.

I just checked and it is lightly snowing on Tahoe right now. We could sure use some more for sure.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
20 feet of snow would be great this time of year, it will get real ugly this coming summer with the drought reaching historic levels, plus the fires. Motorcycling over the Sierra in February is a great indicator of what is to come this summer.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
20 feet of snow would be great this time of year, it will get real ugly this coming summer with the drought reaching historic levels, plus the fires. Motorcycling over the Sierra in February is a great indicator of what is to come this summer.

Yeah, it's pretty scary. We are at the base of Peavine Mt. (mountain to North of Reno). It's not fun to watch it burn. Gets pretty close to homes, hasn't burned any yet but with this drought it could. We have a family home at North Shore Tahoe too. Always scared some idiot will leave a campfire and it burns all of Tahoe City down. It's so dry nothing would stop a forest fire.