Female riders how do you wear your hair in your helmet wife wants to know

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
my wife usually does a loose bunn type thing so it is all under and no wind whiped hair and se gets a kick out of when we get somewere she can take the helmet off and shake her hair out.. most ppl are like daym that was a chick on that bike.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear (wore, I just chopped it all off) in a low pony tail with pony tail holders about 3 inches apart down the length of my hair to prevent tangles. .. .

bcbikernurse

Reaction score
Visit site
I put my hair up in a pony tail and when I put my full face helmet on I slide the pony tail down with the helmet so it sits just below. I hit a June Bug the other day and it hit me square in the visor and I thought it was a rock. When it happened again a couple of days later, I actually saw the thing come at me. If that hits her face because she wants to wear an open face helmet then she can expect some serious bug damage!!!:eek::eek::eek:

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday you showed us your friends helmet. If that didn't convince her to wear a full face, maybe this will help. She looks cute enough now, wouldn't want her to exfoliate that face on the pavement.

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
A modular helmet is still a full face once you pull it down.

SNELL does not certify any flip up helmets to my knowledge. I'm sure they're DOT certified, but not SNELL, if that matters to you.

As a female, I'm just resigned that every day I ride is a bad hair day, and I have a LOT of hats. :)

msgirle

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear a ponytail still but lower it so it's not uncomfortable in a full face helmet. I think it's best to wear a full face because if anything were to happen you have full protection. That's my opinion tho. Sometimes I wear a bandana over my hear then put the helmet and that's more comfortable than the ponytail.

Hope that helps!

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer to braid my hair, but when having a bad hair day and that fails I put it in a ponytail. I am claustrophobic too but value my teeth so have been able to mentally put that in perspective. You can if you think you can.

Heather

Reaction score
Visit site
I too am a big proponent of full face helmets. In a past job, I've seen the aftermath of the accidents that "nobody thought would happen". The more protection - full face, all leather, etc. - the better. Full face helmets take some getting used to, but they are well worth it.
Re: the hair - I have slightly longer than shoulder length hair. On my motorbike commute to work, I leave my hair down; as I rarely go past 55 mph and that's only for about 5 minutes. However, on longer, faster rides, I have learned (the hard way!) to make sure it is well tied back in either braids or a ponytail. (Either are fine with the full helmet). If it isn't tied back, it gets ridiculously tangled! Also, one other hint - best to avoid hairspray anytime before the helmet goes on...or helmet head is guaranteed! Other, light, leave-in products (spray varnish/biosilk) are OK though.

BudweiserJason8

Reaction score
Visit site
Im a guy with some pretty long hair and i just started riding and learned fast to keep my hair in a loose low ponytail with a bandana on under my helmet and just recently i started putting an extra hair tie about halfway down the ponytail to keep my hair from blowing in the wind and tangling.

Thanks for the tipoff on the BUFF moopie, i will definitely be picking one up soon!

CoFZ6

Junior Newbie Trainee
Reaction score
Visit site
A modular helmet is still a full face once you pull it down.

There is a difference - a regular full face helmet has more padding on your cheeks, while the modular doesn't have as much padding on the front of the cheeks since that part flips up. My wife wouldn't wear a full face helmet either until she tried on a modular. She wears an HJC IS Max, which is what my next helmet will be.

S

sm00thpapa

There is a difference - a regular full face helmet has more padding on your cheeks, while the modular doesn't have as much padding on the front of the cheeks since that part flips up. My wife wouldn't wear a full face helmet either until she tried on a modular. She wears an HJC IS Max, which is what my next helmet will be.

Less padding means less protection, I sure as hell wouldn't wear that helmet then.

LittleRed

Reaction score
Visit site
SNELL does not certify any flip up helmets to my knowledge. I'm sure they're DOT certified, but not SNELL, if that matters to you.

Well, it's not Snell, but Shark makes the Evoline helmet- it's a full modular that converts completely to a 3/4 (the chinbar can go all the way to the back of the helmet while the visor is still usable) and it technically has four safety ratings- DOT and ECE when closed, as well as separate DOT and ECE when open.

Check it out here

As for the hair, I simply chopped mine off, but used to wear it loose and out the back or as a low ponytail just under the neck roll.

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Less padding means less protection, I sure as hell wouldn't wear that helmet then.

Modular helmets are a little roomier around the chin area (because of the flip up swing action), and not as much padding, but they still provide a hard cover around the chin area compared to open face, which at the most will have only a visor if at all.

My wife is claustrophobic and didn't want a full face helmet. So she got a modular and got used it. Then she went down on her bike, found sever scratches on the flip module and visor. Then when we bought a new one she settled in for a full face Scorpion. She still complains about it but wears that over her other modular all the time now.

So, modular helmets do protect. Looking at the scratches on the old modular we know open face would NOT have saved her face.
And now she is more used to full face.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
My G/F uses an HJC full face and just puts her hair in pig tails or one pony tail (usually braided)

When I had my accident a few months back a majority of the scratches were across the face shield and chin bar. My face would have looked like ground beef if it wasn't for my full face.....not a scratch on my face and still ugly as ever!

moopie

Reaction score
Visit site
Im a guy with some pretty long hair and i just started riding and learned fast to keep my hair in a loose low ponytail with a bandana on under my helmet and just recently i started putting an extra hair tie about halfway down the ponytail to keep my hair from blowing in the wind and tangling.

Thanks for the tipoff on the BUFF moopie, i will definitely be picking one up soon!

Glad I could share info on such a useful item. It worked wonderfully yesterday out riding in the 96 degree weather with a heat index of 100. It was nice not feeling sweat on my forehead but now I need to find a way to keep it from feeling icky on my cheeks. Cracking the visor a bit every now and then did help some. Welcome to the forum...it's a great place!