Fender Eliminator [help]

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In this case all the barrel connectors stay in the stock location, under the side cover, there is no exposition to the elements and no need to solder anything.

PS: in your previous post you mention the need to cut the wires to get the signals off, there is no need to cut anything, the stock connection are made via plastic connectors, just unclip them, take them off, feed them through the new FE, clip them back on.

Same goes for the plate light.

I don't think that is how it was on mine, but I am not positive. I had to extend my wiring anyways since the factory wiring was not long enough to move the signals backwards. My memory of it was that there was no connector visible from where I was sitting (head on rear tire). And that the wires went up into the tail light area and directly into the turn signal housing with no connectors at all. I will double check this tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Also, there absolutely is exposure to the elements. The wiring is on the underside of a fender. A fender's purpose in life is to reduce spray off the tire. So if you ever ride in the rain even once that wire will basically be sprayed by a hose the entire ride. You may not even intentionally ride in the rain, but you will almost certainly be caught in it at least occasionally. Personally I always assume the bike will see the worst normal conditions possible and I try and prepare for them.

Now everyone keep calm here. Ther are frustrations with information and individual skill levels, remember we all joined this forum to ask for and offer help when we could . Im mechanically minded my son is not so i help when he asks. And his knowledge is getting better when he sees how things work but trying to follow notes from SIMILAR installs or from those of us that could do something with a blindfold on and have bucketloads of experience is sure to be confusing.
By his own admission our new member doesnt have lots of previous experience, lets all be patient as he gains it

End of my pep talk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now it would appear to work beautifully thx TT and Dennis

I never meant that I expected him to be able to rebuild his engine in 1 day with no prior experience, but more meant that he is making this more difficult for himself than it needs to be. I think its more a psychic issue, getting in his own head. A deep breath and a little experimentation and it is easy to do. When I was learning to disassemble cars I often felt like I was going to break things and I would say so, at which point my boss would laugh and say " use your man hands" and proceed to pull with an alarming amount of force. The plastics and rubbers used to build cars and motorcycles are (for the most part) very strong and very forgiving. There are exceptions, but this is not one of them.

When I white knighted you it was in regards to his comment that felt very whiny, and unappreciative. That was the only frustration I had. In a situation like this where people like are taking the time to not only explain how to solve the problem, but find simillar instruction manuals and take photos of your bike, draw lines on them to increase clarity, post them to the internet and then link them to your forum post, I really feel that people should be showing alot of gratitude, and at the very least being quite polite.

Kingwu has since clarified his intent, so I am not directing this towards him any longer. More just talking helper/helpee etiquette in general.

As for Townsends's suggestion that the hole is the wrong size, he may well be correct. I just looked over all the pictures again and none of them clearly show the mounting location, but if it is not the tear drop then he is definitely correct.

This may be a great opportunity to go to LED turn signals or better yet integrated tail light/turn signals. Personally I have been eyeing a sexy one that does sequential turn signal lighting.

Reactions: agf

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think that is how it was on mine, but I am not positive. I had to extend my wiring anyways since the factory wiring was not long enough to move the signals backwards. My memory of it was that there was no connector visible from where I was sitting (head on rear tire). And that the wires went up into the tail light area and directly into the turn signal housing with no connectors at all. I will double check this tomorrow if no one beats me to it.

Also, there absolutely is exposure to the elements. The wiring is on the underside of a fender. A fender's purpose in life is to reduce spray off the tire. So if you ever ride in the rain even once that wire will basically be sprayed by a hose the entire ride. You may not even intentionally ride in the rain, but you will almost certainly be caught in it at least occasionally. Personally I always assume the bike will see the worst normal conditions possible and I try and prepare for them.

Take off the side covers of your bike, the right hand side has the fuse box, the left hand side has all the wiring harness going to the rear, both connectors for the rear turn signals and a connector for the plate light.

That's the way it leaves the factory!

There are no open wiring living under the fender unless you cut things up. There is no need to cut anything up.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
First I would like to thank everyone for their input and advice! I went home and decided i'm going to take a part some pieces of my bike as said in this thread. I took the left side cover off and seen all the wires. Unplugged them one by one testing them to make sure I don't mix them up. I then unplugged, dismounted my whole fender.

I took off the turn signals by sliding it out the fender(the opposite way I was trying to do last night:spank:) and worked.

Now my new FE's holes weren't big enough but I still managed to get the rubber and the clip to match up. I didn't trust it would hold(which I still don't) so I zip tied them :D. I'm going to do some more research and try and find something to keep them together instead of using zip-ties. It can only work for so long.

All in all, it took me about 2-3 hours. Here are the pictures. I wish under looked more clean but it's fine, I can deal with that... for now.

I also believe it's suppose to stand more at a vertical stance, but I forced it to make that tilt. I had to get a new washer and nut to make it tight enough so it wouldn't move.:thumbup:

2cnjxtv.jpg

250kzfc.jpg

ie1qaa.jpg

iqa07s.jpg

Reactions: agf

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
To agf- idk how that reputation thing is or where to find it, I read it and it disappeared, but I appreciate it bruh :thumbup::rockon:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
if you want to find your rep and comments go to the User CP button, see image and then scroll around that page.
It takes a while to get to know your way around the forum but please do you will find soooo much info.
btw the FE looks good, no chance of it bottoming out.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
if you want to find your rep and comments go to the User CP button, see image and then scroll around that page.
It takes a while to get to know your way around the forum but please do you will find soooo much info.
btw the FE looks good, no chance of it bottoming out.

Thanks man. I'm just afraid the turn signals will eventually pop out. I just read the guy's eBay listing and it says, "Your stock one's will work as well but you will have to remove the rubber neck to expose the stud down inside so you can mount it."

I did not read it beforehand and didn't remove the rubber neck. I'll probably take a look at it after I ride it to work tomorrow. If it's still standing I will leave it. :thumbup:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
First I would like to thank everyone for their input and advice! I went home and decided i'm going to take a part some pieces of my bike as said in this thread. I took the left side cover off and seen all the wires. Unplugged them one by one testing them to make sure I don't mix them up. I then unplugged, dismounted my whole fender.

I took off the turn signals by sliding it out the fender(the opposite way I was trying to do last night:spank:) and worked.

Now my new FE's holes weren't big enough but I still managed to get the rubber and the clip to match up. I didn't trust it would hold(which I still don't) so I zip tied them :D. I'm going to do some more research and try and find something to keep them together instead of using zip-ties. It can only work for so long.

All in all, it took me about 2-3 hours. Here are the pictures. I wish under looked more clean but it's fine, I can deal with that... for now.

I also believe it's suppose to stand more at a vertical stance, but I forced it to make that tilt. I had to get a new washer and nut to make it tight enough so it wouldn't move.:thumbup:

See, how hard was that? No cutting things around, no screwing around!

"Who dares, wins"

Last edited:

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe it was actually one of your posts I seen that said to remove the side cover and find the electrical wiring. Thanks :thumbup:

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I believe it was actually one of your posts I seen that said to remove the side cover and find the electrical wiring. Thanks :thumbup:

No worries,

Sorry i got a bit annoyed at you earlier on, it just seemed that you weren't even reading what people where saying and just asking the same questions over and over.

There is only so much reading and asking you can do, at some point you just need to go figure it out for yourself.

Also, read the instructions! No one is smarter than the manual!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so pretty much, back to removing that stalk to use the stock directionals.

Sounds like they have you bolting the stock directionals W/O the stalk (no rubber mounting and tucked in much closer).

BTW, IMO, I'd tilt that tag down a bit. I suspect the police want to have a chat with you with it tilted that much. Just a suggestion...