Finally decided on a GPS....

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You guys need to get up on the latest and greatest technology out there ;)

This Google Nexus 7 has wifi, AT&T cellular and a GPS chip. Not that it even needs the cellular for the maps as you can download maps to it for offline use.

There is no Garmin/TomTom dedicated GPS that can even touch this thing.

Yes it's not waterproof but for me no problem I don't ride in the rain and if it starts raining while I'm out my days riding is over and I head home. I'll just stick the tablet in my waterproof tank bag.

This route was generated on my laptop and saved to My Maps which can be accessed with the Google Maps app on the Nexus 7.

OK.. if the maps can be saved (so you don't lose anything if you don't have data streaming), it's perfect... except I need one 1/4 of that size :rof:

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice! I like the larger screen. How is the vibration when you are riding?

Went for a short ride today no vibrations...going for a longer one tomorrow...

This combination of mount, tablet and GPS application has exceeded ALL expectations...this is the future boys!

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys need to get up on the latest and greatest technology out there ;)

This Google Nexus 7 has wifi, AT&T cellular and a GPS chip. Not that it even needs the cellular for the maps as you can download maps to it for offline use.

There is no Garmin/TomTom dedicated GPS that can even touch this thing.

Yes it's not waterproof but for me no problem I don't ride in the rain and if it starts raining while I'm out my days riding is over and I head home. I'll just stick the tablet in my waterproof tank bag.

This route was generated on my laptop and saved to My Maps which can be accessed with the Google Maps app on the Nexus 7.

Screenshot_2013-01-12-00-38-04.png

Maybe I'm just being a cynic here, but I'm not entirely sold. As far as I know, saving a map route to My Maps, does exactly that, saves a route. I have a suspicion that if you went even slightly off that route, and that took you off the map tile, then you would be back to square one. No way of knowing where you are unless you got back somehow into the saved map tiles already on the tablet.

Another potential issue is that, at least for smartphones, there is a physical cap on the offline map size that Google will let you download and save. For my Droid, its less than 60MB. I have trouble believing that there is no cap for a tablet, because then you could just download a copy of the whole US. So if there is a cap, it then means you have a limit on the route you can save on your tablet, which should still be fine for small routes, but might be troublesome for bigger routes, say 100 mi. BTW I don't know big the route you show in the screenshot is, but you could easily prove me wrong or right with trying to import a bigger route.

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds cool in theory, but what about the glossy screen in the sun? Also, have you looked into the long term effects of the vibrations on the tablet? I know that with my little garmin, the vibes definitely don't help the power socket (mini usb). Now on my bike, it is constantly connecting and disconnecting from power. However, it still works fine in the car where there aren't the vibes. I am ok with messing up my 3 year old cheapo Nuvi. However, I'd be a little bummed if my 200$ tablet screwed up on me. Just my opinion. At the very least, I would not reccomend charging it while you're riding.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe I'm just being a cynic here, but I'm not entirely sold. As far as I know, saving a map route to My Maps, does exactly that, saves a route. I have a suspicion that if you went even slightly off that route, and that took you off the map tile, then you would be back to square one. No way of knowing where you are unless you got back somehow into the saved map tiles already on the tablet.

Another potential issue is that, at least for smartphones, there is a physical cap on the offline map size that Google will let you download and save. For my Droid, its less than 60MB. I have trouble believing that there is no cap for a tablet, because then you could just download a copy of the whole US. So if there is a cap, it then means you have a limit on the route you can save on your tablet, which should still be fine for small routes, but might be troublesome for bigger routes, say 100 mi. BTW I don't know big the route you show in the screenshot is, but you could easily prove me wrong or right with trying to import a bigger route.

you seem confused about what a modern tablet is capable of...there's no cap other than the total physical space available on the tablet..."bigger routes, say 100mi" :eyebrow:....my average day route is over 300mi...i currently have western NC, western VA, northern GA, northern SC and eastern TN maps downloaded to my tablet...ya its a few GB's of data but no big deal for a 32 GB tablet...i was deep in the mountains this past Sun and did not have cell signal for most of it...no problems...i am entirely sold this is the navigation platform of the future....

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds cool in theory, but what about the glossy screen in the sun? Also, have you looked into the long term effects of the vibrations on the tablet? I know that with my little garmin, the vibes definitely don't help the power socket (mini usb). Now on my bike, it is constantly connecting and disconnecting from power. However, it still works fine in the car where there aren't the vibes. I am ok with messing up my 3 year old cheapo Nuvi. However, I'd be a little bummed if my 200$ tablet screwed up on me. Just my opinion. At the very least, I would not reccomend charging it while you're riding.

absolutely no problem seeing screen in bright sunlight this past Sun...vibs?...these tablets are no doubt torture tested to be vib/dropped many times over their lifetime...cost?...the cheapest Garmin you can buy that is capable of downloading routes to is over $250....this top of the line Nexus 7 cost $300...it's a no brainer really....

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not to hi jack the thread, but some very knowledgable folks on this thread so I'll ask...

I do have a NUVI car GPS I use BUT have an older Garmin Street Pilot III that Garmin no longer supports or updates maps. The maps currently are several years old but the unit still works great, is water proof and is generally visable in the sunlight. I also have a Touratec, lockable mount for it as well (below picture is the SPIII with the Touratec on my old FJR with a stem mount)

The question, does anyone know if there is someway to re-load a current map (Garmin doesn't) into this older unit?

Thank you..

Last edited:

mikesova

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the cheapest Garmin you can buy that is capable of downloading routes to is over $250

That's not a true statement. 2455 can be had for less than 200, not that I would recommend it.

Got a question for you: How do you tell the unit to follow a pre-saved route?

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
you seem confused about what a modern tablet is capable of...there's no cap other than the total physical space available on the tablet..."bigger routes, say 100mi" :eyebrow:....my average day route is over 300mi...i currently have western NC, western VA, northern GA, northern SC and eastern TN maps downloaded to my tablet...ya its a few GB's of data but no big deal for a 32 GB tablet...i was deep in the mountains this past Sun and did not have cell signal for most of it...no problems...i am entirely sold this is the navigation platform of the future....

I wasn't referring to the storage cap on the tablet itself, which is I'm assuming somewhere around 27GB for your 32GB tablet accounting for the space that the OS and other applications take. I was referring to Google's cap on the amount of data it will let you download from its map server for offline maps. As I pointed out in my post, it seems to be around 60 MB for my smartphone even though I have a 32 GB SD card in it, which definitely makes my smartphone intrinsically capable of storing more map data than a tablet, but apparently tablets are allowed more leeway on downloading maps. Good for you.

Also, since I write firmware for embedded processors for a living, I'm pretty sure I'm less confused than most about what a modern tablet is capable of. I wasn't trying to discount your opinion, just trying to discuss the pros and cons.

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Google Nexus 7 review: Catching Fire - GSMArena.com

This post goes into the very issue I was discussing a little bit. They might have increased the cap since this article was released, or maybe all the maps you have fall within the limit.

PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

Screenshot_2013-01-17-22-10-47.png

The maximum individual map you can download is 87MB which I estimate to be approx 90 miles X 90 miles ...however you can download an unlimited amount of these or til run out of storage space...once the offline map is on the tablet then Google maps has access to them when you loose cell signal...as i stated before ive got westen NC, western VA, northern GA, northern SC and eastern TN download...it's basically a bunch of the squares you see in the above pic slightly overlapped running north, south, east and west of my location...

I write firmware for embedded processors for a living,

CS huh...im an EE...

;)

Last edited:

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
CS huh...im an EE...

;)

Nah, I ain't no stinkin' CS major. I'm an EE too brotha. :thumbup:. Anyway, that's pretty intriguing that you can download all the maps you want. All the forums I seem to have stumbled upon seem to think its limited to 6 for smartphones. I'll have to try this for myself now.

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im really interested in how this holds up in the long run. I have a note 10.1 and finally figured out the whole gps thing (maps are always available even without wifi or data; a concept i didnt understand off the bat). I agree that this is the best gps platform yet, and very well may be the future of gps. I need to look into waterproofing and how long the nexus 7 holds up after a lot of mileage! Please keep us updated. I need a new gps soon and am really considering this route!

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thread. I had a Garmin Nuvi 350 on mine for a couple years, now I have a 255w. I've ridden with both in downpours, freezing temps, over rough roads - no problem. I hardwired the charger and mounted on the left handlebar inside the signal switch (ball mount off eBay for $5). I don't download or program routes so no comment, but the maps are good. The 350 had an MP3 player but it was crap.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I hope your set up works well for you, but I would be worried about the vibrations, but that's me.

Agree about Garmin when it comes to uploading routes from Basecamp. It's absolute s**t. It *looks* like it works, until you're out there actually trying to follow the route.

Couldn't use your setup though.. mine has to be waterproof and I don't want it to be bigger than my motorcycle :BLAA:

I wish Garmin worked properly :(

I have a zumo 550 and I love it, but I must admit mapsource software is not very user friendly, uploading routes can be a PITA especially if you have multiple routes. I've recently downloaded basecamp so I don't have any real experience with it yet. I even sometimes use Tyre to create a route and then export the GPX file to mapsource, just to check.

I recently reinstalled city navigator on my new computer and it was a PITA, first install the updated mapfiles from old computer then install CN using original codes (not update codes), as the garmin site won't allow me access to my updated maps as my update code was only valid for a year :banghead:

I agree with you, a waterproof satnav is a must, years ago I used to run a palm top in my tankbag but I could hardly read it when it started raining :banghead:

Not to hi jack the thread, but some very knowledgable folks on this thread so I'll ask...

I do have a NUVI car GPS I use BUT have an older Garmin Street Pilot III that Garmin no longer supports or updates maps. The maps currently are several years old but the unit still works great, is water proof and is generally visable in the sunlight. I also have a Touratec, lockable mount for it as well (below picture is the SPIII with the Touratec on my old FJR with a stem mount)

The question, does anyone know if there is someway to re-load a current map (Garmin doesn't) into this older unit?

Thank you..

As I read on the Dutch GPS forum the last usable map for the streetpilot is the city navigator 2009, it's a shame as it's a nice unit. A friend of mine still uses it and still thinks its great, but yeah he misses some of the more recent roads, but generally the nicer rides are on the older twisty roads:thumbup:

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree about Garmin when it comes to uploading routes from Basecamp. It's absolute s**t. It *looks* like it works, until you're out there actually trying to follow the route.

Couldn't use your setup though.. mine has to be waterproof and I don't want it to be bigger than my motorcycle :BLAA:

I wish Garmin worked properly :(
I have a standard TOM TOM 520, no rain cover. It's been through some really nasty weather without any problem.

Neil