First ride after purchasing?

Personally, I'd avoid right turns as much as possible. New bike, unfamiliar clutch, slow speed, sharp turn are bad combinations for possible down bike. That's how my buddy laid down his bike... not once but twice.

Thanks for the welcome and tips guys. I won the bike, I'm now officially a 2005 FZ6 owner! (well, technically, I haven't paid for it, but... ya know) I'll follow your advice, i really wish this guy had installed frame sliders... I don't know how I'll avoid right turns, though...

grats on the new bike. i'm a new owner as well and i guys you could say i had my first real ride on the way home from the dealer (if you count a 40 minute ride that is). right turns were more difficult than left turns due to the increased difficulty of keeping the throttle steady but other than that its not so bad.

enjoy the new bike, i know i am!

Congrats! And welcome to the family.

Don't worry about right turns. Being too tentative can be bad also. Just give yourself some room (like a car length) to get up to speed and then it's much easier to make the turn.

Its up to the individual , i rode my home from the Dealer got my work gear together and took off straight out onto the highway :thumbup: no worries at all for me.....But your not me and there may be things you'd do that i wouldnt :D

I think I may one who broke the mold I got mine and it took me a couple hours to get home . I almost called the service dept. when I got home to set up the first service but it rained cats and dogs for a two weeks so it took me like two weeks to get the first 600 out of the way . if the weather had been clear it would have been 24 hours maybe ! but just be carefull on the way home don't worry about keeping up with traffic or anything ride your own line. and keep your eyes open for cager's they are everywhere ya'know

I bought mine on a fri and rode around town, (small town) the rest of the day, then rode the thing all night on a trip of epic proportions that lasted till four in the morning and I ended up in a town about 500 miles away with two of my friends from another town! I didnt get home for two days! Then I thought; "What an IDIOT I am!!" But whatever, you only live once and some things are worth doing just for the hell of it. The wife didnt leave me and the kids and dogs still love me so Im good!:rockon: Go ahead and ride the thing! Thats what you got it for.....right?

I picked mine up first thing Saturday morning and headed out of the city for a hours ride on a country road. Just take it easy and enjoy the new bike.

I picked the mine about 120 miles away from my place and I had to ride it all the way back in interstate...I think I did well. I had never played with a bike which was more than 250cc...I am soo glad I held my nerve...
KB

I went from a 400 cc 07 Majesty Scooter to an 07 Blue FZ6 no riding experience at all (with gears). Dowtown Vancouver to the outer suburbs of Surrey, about 50 km worth of riding and it took me about 10 minutes to grab the feel of this bike, and it has been true love ever since, take your time, dont beat on it but dont baby it, let it work a little, and enjoy!!!:thumbup::Flash::thumbup::Flash:

It was pouring with rain when I picked my new FZ6 Fazer up 8 weeks ago. The sales team were putting bets on that I wouldn't turn up but I did! I was nervous about picking the bike up but all the nerves soon went as soon as I rode away from the store.

Go steady and you'll be fine. :thumbup:

Hills

I rode mine for the first time after getting it couple of weeks ago. Onetrack was right about the "on/off" feel on the clutch, stalled it couple of times. I practiced on the parking lot for a bit to get the feel of the clutch and rode around town for the rest of the day....sweet bike :rockon:

update: I found a 2007 Blue FZ6 in the Atlanta area, and I'll be picking her up in three weeks. It's about 140 Miles from home, and mostly interstate. The previous owner rode it on the freeway quite a bit and gave me assurances that it has good road manners and that I'll have a good ride home. He did warn me that at highway speeds, the speedometer will creep up very quickly if I'm not careful ;)

The first time i rode my FZ6n was when I picked it up in Reykjavik(south west soast of Iceland) ane rode it home, wich is in Akureyri(north coast of Iceland). About 400 km ride, in rain and about 0°C-5°C(33-41F). I had no previous riding expiriens, ecxept my riding classes before I got the license. I had no trouble at all, besides the freesing cold. It all went fine, so I thing you should be fine, as long as you don´t go any faster than you´re capable of. Good luck!:thumbup:

When I bought my bike I had the pleasure of wheeling it the the back of the shop and then into the back of my truck. :D I only had a permit and not my license, so I wasn't able to take it on the freeway. As soon as I got it home I went riding all over town.

Showing my ignorance now, but the penny dropped recently that in America (or in some states, certainly) you can ride a Fazer legally as a first bike??? Here in the state of Victoria (Australia) it was limited to 250cc, but the rules changed last year, and now learners can ride up to a 600cc on an 'L' plate or a 'P' plate but it has to be LAMS approved and below a certain power to weight ratio. The Fazer isn't LAMS approved. Bit scary to think of a learner riding any bike they want. However, I learnt on a Kawa GPX250 and whilst a great bike, the Fazer gives me a lot more confidence as it just feels that bit more planted in corners, and has more acceleration when you need it to get out of trouble. I wish I'd upgraded as soon as I was able to now, rather than waiting another 9 months. I was nervous about riding it home from the dealership as ours is in a busy part of town, but as others of said, it's such an easy bike to ride that within minutes I was able to give all my focus to the traffic and forget I was riding a new bike ;)

I loaded mine into the back of a pickup truck and got it home that way. I'm very picky when it comes to proper break-in and all that. The dealer I got it from was pretty far from my house (but I saved over $800 in the process) so I didn't want to drive it home.

I did an oil/filter change at 50, 500(oil only) and 1000 miles. So if i drove it home I would have had to skip the first oil change and be half way to the second. :)

-TK

Showing my ignorance now, but the penny dropped recently that in America (or in some states, certainly) you can ride a Fazer legally as a first bike???
It really is going to depend on the state. Here in Pennsylvania, you can take a written test to get your permit, and hop on a 1,250cc V-Rod for the ride home. The permit is good for 6 months but only in daytime riding conditions. However, you can renew your permit indefinitely. So you theoretically may never need to take a driving test.

There was a big tough Harley guy taking the MSF class at the same time I was. He had been riding for 16 years on permits. Needless to say he passed the course with flying colors, but still. . .

-TK

Back