First Track Day. Now many more to come

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
On Saturday I did my first track day at New York Safety Track. It was an amazing experience and I highly suggest it if you live in the Northeast. Friday I took the ride up from Long Island to Albany where my friend lives. I had the FZ6 in full touring mode. I had custom built hardcases, a tail rack, and my tank bag all loaded. Once I arrived in Albany we loaded his Truimph and the FZ6 into his pickup and drove the hour down to the track. Set up camp at the track and the next morning the fun began. Anyone's first time at the track you have to go through a Rookie weekend. You got 45 minutes of class time in between each 15 minute riding session. The class was extremely interesting and taught so much. Our teacher was a Yamaha Certified Coach, and was spanking everyone on a 2005 Honda Dirt Bike. Once on the track you got to follow coaches and learn the lines. In the afternoon they let you begin to pass and run at your own pace. I would never had thought a stock 08 FZ6 on Michelin Pilot Road 4s could carve through the track that well but it did. I had the bike flying through the corners and close to 122 mph by the end of the straight. A coach watched me for a whole session and told me the first thing I should do is change out the stock pegs. They do not help support your feet good enough and he showed me the difference between his pegs and mine. Headed home in touring mode on Sunday. So much versatility from one bike.

I now have a slight addiction to the track that I want to feed. Just gotta get a lot of money to do it. But the FZ6 is an impressive machine for sure.

Anyone else been to NYST??

IMG_6606[1].jpg
Touring Mode

IMG_6594.jpg
Race Day

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the track addiction! I love NYST, haven't been able to get back since the first year they opened though. I'm hoping later this summer.
Motorcycle Track Days in New England is the organization I usually ride with. If you like NYST, you'll also love the Palmer MA track.

If you're looking to upgrade your front suspension, I have a set of R6 forks for sale. Come take a ride to New Haven and I'll help you install them!

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I will definitely have to take a look into that. Right now I am actually thinking of just getting another bike next year to fuel the fire I just lit under my ass. I want to keep the FZ6 as a tourer since it is just so damn good at everything. I'd hate to push it just a bit to hard and lose it. Would rather a bike that I don't care about.
Are the R6 Forks really that much better? I feel like the FZ6 forks do just fine.