fork seal replacement help

Stephen ingham

Reaction score
Visit site
hi guys, I noticed the other day whilst cleaning my bike that the fork dust seal seems to be perishing, although there doesnt seem to be any oil leakage, so after a little research I decided to order the main seal and the dust seal and am gunna replace them on both forks.
My question is what is the oil quantity?
Any other help or advice is much appreciated
fork seal.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious from those that have had to replace seals...

How many miles on the bike before they started leaking and if the bike was "garaged"(out of the weather when not ridden)?

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Replacing only the fork seals is IMO one of the ****tiest and widespread maintenance corner cutting. Then they wonder why they got an wobble...

So please, spare another 30$ and get at least a set of all balls bushings. Even if they don't seem worn out now, it's almost impossible to not damage them when removing the stanchions.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Replacing only the fork seals is IMO one of the ****tiest and widespread maintenance corner cutting. Then they wonder why they got an wobble...

So please, spare another 30$ and get at least a set of all balls bushings. Even if they don't seem worn out now, it's almost impossible to not damage them when removing the stanchions.

When / if mine start leaking, the seals are getting yanked with AIR PRESSURE, no fork leg disassembly. 150 PSI with a clean lower leg should do it..

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's something else, but even so... It's not only the rubber getting old, it's also the bushings allowing for more play, making the seals looser. I've heard so many stories of forks "inexplicably" loosing oil right after swapping new seals.
Even if they are only 10% worn, unless it's some kind of rare bike from the 70s with almost no spares available, I just don't see the point in preserving them.

SilverTwin

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious from those that have had to replace seals...

How many miles on the bike before they started leaking and if the bike was "garaged"(out of the weather when not ridden)?

Mine started leaking a little last summer at 12K, I used a Sealmate and all was well for the balance of the season. However, when I brought it out this spring, they were leaking bad, so I replaced everything with All Balls components and 10 wt oil. I purchased the bike used, and from the appearance of the fluid coming out, it was most likely original. Surprising since every other aspect of the bike was extremely well maintained.

The change was simple, and I'm glad that I tackled it myself as opposed to taking it to a shop. I used the write-ups here, which made it much easier.

The bike is always garage kept, and does not see rain.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have about 26,000 miles on the clock now, original seals and no leakage (with about 15 PSI in each leg for the last 2.5 years).

I changed the oil in them at about 20,000 miles and the oil was nasty and literally stunk...

Flushed them with another can of fork oil till they were spotless...

I've since learned, you can use brake cleaner to flush out any sludge / old oil when doing the work.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've put about 25k mi on the fleebay R6 forks. They rx'd new bushings and seals before install.

FIWI: Yamaha seems to spec the fill level as being very near the forks stroke length.
Stock stroke 5.1" stock fill 5.2"
R6 stroke 4.7" R6 fill level 4.4"

Over filling either is not the worst thing either. 0.5 to 1.0" especially on stock weak springs w variable rate.

As far as leaks go, I've seen random leakage as a result of dried on bug shells. Clean the hardened bug parts off the tube and they dry up and quit leaking!

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
I just noticed my left one started leaking this past week and bike has little over 28k miles on it. I don't do much riding, just commute to work here and there so most likely won't be doing any work to it till its time to put her away but will definitely be reading up all the threads about it

s_rodie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, I am going to rebuild my forks this winter. I have already ordered a seal kit. It looks like I have more things to order as well after reading through this. What brand of fork oil should I buy? Is there a brand I should stay clear of as well?

Thanks,

tom_nuke

Reaction score
Visit site

Alright... I'm knee deep in replacing the seals on my '09. Realizing I need more parts, I started checking out this kit. It appears that they only have a kit for the FZ6R, do you have a part number for the FZ6?