Fork Spring Install Questions

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I got my Race Tech springs a few days ago, and I'm curious about a couple things during replacement. Last year I changed the fork seals and springs on my beginner gs500 and it was a fairly easy process, so I know this shouldn't be too bad either.

First question, if I'm only planning on replacing the springs and the oil, do I need to take apart the entire fork? The dust covers are in great condition and the seals should be as well, since I've never had any kind of leakage.

Second question has to do with the spacer length. Should I use the stock spacer or should I cut the one sent with my new springs? What length spacer do you all recommend for a guy weighing 260 w/o gear?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
No help needed any more... I ended out using a few millimeters more preload than the stock setup. If they're too stiff, then I'll just cut the spacers down.

CavDoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Knowing nothing about such things, my answer would have been "Call Racetech - they should know, they designed 'em!"

Let us know how it works out! :rockon:

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
Knowing nothing about such things, my answer would have been "Call Racetech - they should know, they designed 'em!"

Let us know how it works out! :rockon:

Funny, cause I did contact them and they weren't much help either...lol. They told me they recommended 10mm of preload. Considering the stock setup was closer to 20mm of preload (and my size...lol), I used 25mm of preload. Plus I figured I could always cut the spacers down if needed. Took a quick ride in them today and it's awesome. I barely feel the bumps anymore.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
RT springs come in different weights and they are shorter than stock. Also, RT springs are linear rate where as stock is a progressive rate. You didn't say which spring rate you got.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
OK. I had .95 springs with 15w oil. @ 200lb geared up.
I had my spacers at 6 1/4in. plus, I had the slingshot racing adjustable preload fork caps.

I think I cut my spacers to 6 3/4in. How do you like those fork caps? It's a brilliant idea. I'm surprised I never seen them, then again I guess a lot of bikes have adjustable forks.