Formatting Displayed

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed that the text formatting seems to get displayed when you quote peoples posts. I'm not sure if it is the browsers fault or the site. :confused:

I noticed it too, but I just thought it was extra emphasis on the quotation marks. Kinda like italics.

I have noticed that the text formatting seems to get displayed when you quote peoples posts. I'm not sure if it is the browsers fault or the site. :confused:

\\\"mmm, strange\\\"

Let's see..... It's likely a recent update from Dennis has changed the coding a bit. What you see is a typical leading \ in front of symbols which allows the site to display the characters without treating them as codes that would otherwise change what is quoted. Does that make any sense? ;)

It's bascially telling the site to ignore the character as code and treat it as text.

Let's see..... It's likely a recent update from Dennis has changed the coding a bit. What you see is a typical leading \ in front of symbols which allows the site to display the characters without treating them as codes that would otherwise change what is quoted. Does that make any sense? ;)

It's bascially telling the site to ignore the character as code and treat it as text.

mmm, yes, but can it be fixed. :thumbup:

Dennis :cheer:

The root cause is probably the ability to display the ampersand sign without treating it as code. For several languages branching from HTML the & is a special character that envokes certain logic. So the code expects something to follw the & sign:

&quot = "

So if the code just sees & then it gets confused because there is suppossed to be something following it. A way around it is to proceed the & with code that allows it to be treated as text another is to replace the ampersand with the &amp ASCII code so it displays as &.

The root cause is probably the ability to display the ampersand sign without treating it as code. For several languages branching from HTML the & is a special character that envokes certain logic. So the code expects something to follw the & sign:

&quot = \"

So if the code just sees & then it gets confused because there is suppossed to be something following it. A way around it is to proceed the & with code that allows it to be treated as text another is to replace the ampersand with the &amp ASCII code so it displays as &.

I didn't know you could mix codes in the same program.

this thread is above my head, but i hope it gets all fixed up...

You want real fun go to the view button on your web browser then click source

I lied its a prob with the quotation marks not the ampersand. I don't know what the difference is between the single quote being displayed as \" versues grommits post getting \\"

" = \"

<font color="Blue"><i><font size="4">example text</font></i></font> = [COLOR=\\&quot;Blue\\&quot;]<i>[SIZE=\\&quot;4\\&quot;]example text[/size]</i>[/color]

Last edited:
hmmm...somehow missed this thread. It's been like this for a few weeks now....I always know when Dennis is changing stuff :shakehead:

Seems like it's only when you put " " in your post.

Back