Front ABS, not working?

Freddy McBacon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi!
I have a FZ6-N S2 2007 with ABS.
The problem is that my front ABS is not working. I’ve tested the sensor, new pads and fluid, new battery. Nothing is working. Have someone had the same problem? Please help!

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a known issue, I have it as well. The ABS pumps are so fragile, they stop working at the slightest breeze. There are companies that refurbish them (google them), while a new one is around 2000 euros.... I opted to ride it like it is since it's more than half of what I paid on the bike to get a new one. And with a refurbished one, you still pay around 500-700 euros and no idea how long it will last.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wonder what fails? I doubt it's a seal, otherwise you'd lose fluid/pressure. However there maybe a seal at the pump that is the weak link. It would be interesting to disassemble a pump to see if the repair is as simple as replacing an o-ring.

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
Did some reading about it, as I was considering the same, taking it apart. It's two solenoids and a couple of electromechanical valves. Most people online think it has to do with not changing the brake fluid regularly (mine sat a while before I bought it) so it is very likely, in my mind, it is an issue with the valves. They are not opening correctly anymore. I tried flushing the brake fluid twice, still no improvement.

Mine is pulsating a bit, in the service mode, but very very faint. So the ECU seems to be working, the solenoids seem to be working, it's likely the valves. But I am a bit afraid to take it apart. It's the brake system and if I damage anything I might end up with a stuck wheel and road rash. Right now at least I can ride it and the brakes are working, even if the ABS is not.

adyrip1

Reaction score
Visit site
If you mess it up you can always adapt a non-abs master with new brake lines. I believe the calipers are the same.
If you decide to take it apart, I am curious in what you find and if you can fix it. I know you can fit non-ABS part, my fear was getting stuck brakes while riding, that's why I am holding back on taking it off and opening it.