Front Brake Res Prob - Need Advice Pls

Mikeinho

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I can't seem to see anything through the sight on the front brake res, as it's completely misted over. Tried using a torch (flashlight to you Yanks), and a laser pointer to light it up, but no joy.

I'm a bit reluctant to open it, as I previously shredded the screws on another bike - d'oh!!

Does anyone else have this problem?

P.S. rear brake res is fine, as this uses a clear cup

Well, I'm pretty sure it's plastic, and UV rays and haze plastic like that.

Why not open it up? Better yet, flush the brake fluid if you think it's dirty.

and if your worried about the screws destroying the holes, then when you mount it again turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel it "fall" into place in the tread, and you should be good to go :thumbup:

UHHH and if you spill some brakefluid don't let it sit on the painted parts for to long

Make sure that is not moisture. Either way might as well bleed the brake system. It's not that costly and pretty simple to do.
Also try and not set your pants on fire with that torch!

Last edited:
Yea the FZ6 bible (the manual that tells you how to tear everything down and proper torque specs for everything etc.) recommends flushing bleeding and refilling the brakes for this problem

The trick to getting the screws off without stripping out the heads is to use an impact driver. You should be able to pick one up for cheap. A couple taps with a hammer and it will get stubborn screws out with no damage.

The trick to getting the screws off without stripping out the heads is to use an impact driver. You should be able to pick one up for cheap. A couple taps with a hammer and it will get stubborn screws out with no damage.
This is excellent advice!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Cheers people!!

I went out for a blast the other (very sunny) day and brought the bike home with brake discs absolutely smokin' hot. Had no problems slowing/stopping.

Had a look in the front brake res, and all seemed fine.

Used the hammer tap technique to open the screws, and torqued them back to the correct level.

:thumbup:

When a Phillips is not a Phillips! Always use the right tool for the job

The deal with the two screws on the front brake reservoir cap is that they are a different type of Phillips known as Japanese Industrial Standard aka "JIS". A JIS screw has a dot on its head to identify it as such.

Japanese and other precision-made Phillips' head screws require screwdrivers that meet precise Japanese specifications. Many common American and European screwdrivers don't meet JIS specs resulting in an improper screwdriver fit that strips out screw heads, wastes valuable time, and makes hard work out of something that should've been rewarding.

You’ll need the proper tools; Japanese screwdrivers are made for these screws.

View attachment 20822

FZ6-ZN

Back