Front signal lights always on - Previous owner mod? Can I reverse?

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently purchased '06 FZ6. Front signal lights are always on. When I signal, the one stays on, the other flashed.

I want them off unless I'm signaling. Is there a wiring schematic available, or does anyone know where this may have been spliced in? Would like to undo it.

Thx much.
--Mike

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that it comes stock from the factory like that. I don't believe it was a mod done by the previous owner. I know there is a reason for this that I heard somewhere. It sounded like good reason at the time but for the life of me I can't remember what it was :confused: oh well.

Good luck and :welcome: to the forum

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in the states there are DOT laws that require certian things on vehicles.

Front must have running lights. These are the 'always on' lights you are talking about. They must be amber.

Front must also have headlights on motorcycles (and I beleive cars built after a certian year)

The rear must have Red running lights at night. Red break lights. White lights are illegal unless they are used while the car is in reverse.

The reasoning is fairly simple. You learn to recognize the standards. So when you see a vehical with amber lights and 'white' headlights you know it is coming towards you. The amber lights define the approxamat width of the vehical. When you see red lights you know the vehical is going away from you or stopped. White lights / reflectors at the rear of the vehical can / does cause confusion. You may think the vehical is backing up or could mistake it for an oncoming vehical. In closely spaced traffic, white rear facing lights impeeds the night vision of the person behind them.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also make sure your bike has the correct lamps installed (Unless it's LED) One filament in the bulb will be the running light (always on) and the other filament is the brighter directional filament.
Both lights should be on at all times and when you put the signal on, that light should flash brighter. It sounds like you have a defective lamp on the side that is completely off when not flashing. A bad filament. As previously mentioned they are suppose to be lit at all times in the front. The rear ones only light with the directional signal.

Grainbelt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks folks. I'm not sure if the other one turned all the way off, I was watching the reflection in the tailgate of a black truck in front of me at a light. I'll investigate to be sure.

Just seems odd, my Ninja 650R and DR650 didn't have running lights, though I guess they were canuck-spec. I don't think my US spec GS500 had them either, but perhaps I simply didn't notice.

Thanks again!

Pauly_V

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't believe the DOT requires the front 'marker lights' to be on. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. The FZ6 is the only bike I've owned that had front running lights. (maybe my ex500?)

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2001 CBR F4i had signals that functioned as running lights. The more lights, the better (to a limit), IMHO.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) on CARS are NOT a requirement in the USA. There is no Federal law mandating this, it is a decision that the automaker has made. And there is no requirement for amber running lights in the front for motorcyces, it is another choice by the manufacturer.