Front sprocket change up ?

adamrmac

Yamaholic
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 fz6 , what would happen if I dropped 2 teeth 0n the front sprocket ? would like to get more wheelie power so I dont have to shift while my front end is up. any suggestions would be appreciated !

i am no expert so take this with a grain of salt. But from my experience if you go down 2 up front it will make the bend around the sprocket too tight and eat chains. It may even cause some rubbing problems on the swing arm.

If you want a wheelie machine by a cheap stunt bike or go up on the rear.

My 2 cents anyway.

Marc

Actually I think you would have to shift sooner if you drop -1 or -2. Your R's are going to be higher at a lower speed. Not to mention that -2 will make you frown at highway speeds, would me anyway. I went -1 and loved it then I went +1 on the back and just that small difference was noticeable especially on the highway. I went back to just the -1 and am happy there. As wheelies go, it is a bit easier with the sprocket change but It isn't as drastic as you might think. There is also the increased chain wear with a -2 configuration, but I don't know if its enough to worry about. Start with -1 ... its the cheap ($30) and easy to see if its enough for you.

Actually I think you would have to shift sooner if you drop -1 or -2. Your R's are going to be higher at a lower speed. Not to mention that -2 will make you frown at highway speeds, would me anyway. I went -1 and loved it then I went +1 on the back and just that small difference was noticeable especially on the highway. I went back to just the -1 and am happy there. As wheelies go, it is a bit easier with the sprocket change but It isn't as drastic as you might think. There is also the increased chain wear with a -2 configuration, but I don't know if its enough to worry about. Start with -1 ... its the cheap ($30) and easy to see if its enough for you.

I will try -1 on front , too cold to ride yet anyways, thanks !!!!!

Go for -2, it is a lot better than -1, and you dont need to change your chain.

Your chain life may be shortened, but that is more dependant on your maintenance, and your ability to not let the chain get too loose, or dry.

Your gearing will be shorter, but not radically...much better pick up, and a little loss of stop speed!

:thumbup:

much better pick up, and a little loss of stop speed!

I Agree but if he spends a good amount of time at hwy / interstate speeds he may regret going that drastic just feels rough at higher speeds to me. If you are mostly all twisties then I guess there would be little downside to it but if you do a fair amount of highway you may not like it. But if as you say you can keep the stock chain then it is cheap enough to do one and then then the other if you are not happy. All depends on the rider I guess. :thumbup:

I ride mostly in LA commuting traffic M-F and canyons on weekends. I love the -1 it gives me a better low end on the power band but does not feel rough at higher speeds like 80 mph. Also think about a speedo healer it will make sure your ODO and speedo are accurate after the sprocket change.

P.S. It is really easy to pop a wheelie with the -1

I Agree but if he spends a good amount of time at hwy / interstate speeds he may regret going that drastic just feels rough at higher speeds to me. If you are mostly all twisties then I guess there would be little downside to it but if you do a fair amount of highway you may not like it. But if as you say you can keep the stock chain then it is cheap enough to do one and then then the other if you are not happy. All depends on the rider I guess. :thumbup:

I have toured 2 up with -2 front sprocket....much better for that application too, as it helps compensate for the extra weight associated with a pillion, and, or touring gear, such as panniers, and, or, Top Box.

losing 20km/h off top speed is not an issue either...how often do you get the bike up to 235km/h??? not very often, unless you wanna risk going to Jail!

As for "roughness", i dont think this is an issue on an inline 4, as inline 4 pot motors are very smooth by definition.

Back