Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters
F

FZ6 Naked!

Premium ONLY! (well, when I'm somewhere that it's available)

My wife had a Saturn SL2 and if you didn't use premium or mid, the car ran like hell. Not a huge thing, but if that little bit made that big of a change on the car, I don't ever even want to chance it with the bike!

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
IIRC those models of Saturn had issues with the temperature sensors. Something about them breaking and causing the computer to get improper coolant temp readings. Caused the cars to run poorly on low octane fuel.

Sent from my iPhone

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used 93 octane for the past 4 years and just switched to 87 on this past tank. Surprisingly the bike runs almost identical and I'm expecting a bit more fuel economy!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've used 93 octane for the past 4 years and just switched to 87 on this past tank. Surprisingly the bike runs almost identical and I'm expecting a bit more fuel economy!

Shouldn't be that surprised... says right in the manual to run 87. :D

Well after the first tank of 87 octane I got right at 50 mpg during normal commuting! I can't be sure it's all the fuel and not the warmer weather but I used to get 45-47 mpg on 93 octane.

Astennu

Reaction score
Visit site
Up untill last week i have bin using Shell V-power or BP Ultimate.
But last week i tuned the bike with regular 95 fuel. It was recommended to tune the bike for the lower octane fuel when installing a PC. so it will run wel on those fuels when you are on holiday.

But he said 95 here is more like 90.
V-Power and Ultimate are supposed to be around 97.

CowtownBiomed

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not familiar enough with the FZ6 yet.

Does it have a "knock sensor" if it does, it should be able to adjust the timing to benifit from the higher octane.
If not then what is recomended would be best..
I have always run premium in all of my motorcycles, I consider it cheap insurance against knock and pre-detoniation..

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not familiar enough with the FZ6 yet.

Does it have a "knock sensor" if it does, it should be able to adjust the timing to benifit from the higher octane.
If not then what is recomended would be best..
I have always run premium in all of my motorcycles, I consider it cheap insurance against knock and pre-detoniation..

I don't believe it does. However, even if it did most factory PCM programming is VERY conservative when it comes to advancing the timing even with a knock sensor and even of you were running race gas it would only adjust so much. You would need to reprogram the PCM to take advantage of that.

Sent from my iPhone

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Enough !

let's see who can post the most awesome gif of beating a dead horse.
dead_horse.gif

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, and while I'm posting photos of beating dead horses, I may as well take a swing: I think my '06 runs at least as well on the least expensive (US) 87 octane. My car REQUIRES 93, per the owner's manual, and if I put 87 or 89 in it it sounds TERRIBLE. The bike seems fine on the cheap stuff. Better even, I think. Maybe an airplane mechanic could put it to rest. Those things run stupid-high-octane gas. 103?

Horse = dead. NOT! (I'm sure.)

abyss1406

Reaction score
Visit site
not going to lie, never felt the need to put cheap stuff in the ol scooter. I feel that premium from chevron feels better, and lasts longer too.

Acumen

Reaction score
Visit site
I was always raised under the premise anything over 10.5:1 compression ratio should run higher octane ratings. Considering I just went from a car to this guy, I have no problem spending the extra mula for the highest octane rating; it's still so much bloody cheaper than my car!

Poot

Thank God ^ was there!
Reaction score
Visit site
Getting 52mpg with Regular, and the bike performs exactly as I want it to.

No reason to spend more money on something that you don't need to.

TheRabbi

Reaction score
Visit site
I always try to get the "top tier" gas station (Chevron, Shell, BP, etc.) and if I can't then I usually use Premium at the other places.