Fuel pump and starter not working

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 fz6 I was riding it the other day and I noticed it was cutting back a little bit I parked it the next morning I get up to to start it and I cranks but no start. I noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump priming so I straight wired it to the battery it came on I then went too crank it but it still wouldn't fire it was like something had immobilized my starter and fuel pump plz help

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I have already bypassed the lean sensor on it is there anyway to test it too make sure it is working maybe with a multimeter or something .......o are

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
I will tell y'all what I have already done ok. I bypassed the lean sensor until my new one comes in , I bypassed my kickstand sensor, and I checked my crankshaft sensor it is reading bout 287 ohms within working parameters, so I'm thinking maybe I didn't do something right when I bypassed the lean sensor plz help is there anyway I can check and verify too make sure the lean angle sensor switch is working properly???

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
The only other thing I could think it could possibly be would be the ecu but it looked fine when I took it out and cleaned it all the pins where str8 no corrosion....idk I'm baffled as to why I can't get power too my fuel pump unless the lean angle sensor isn't working plz help

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you bypass the lean sensor? There are three wires; the blue wire is a common voltage reference that is shared between the OAT and TPS, the black/blue is ground and the yellow/green is the actual signal? I don't think you can simply tie the signal to ground. I could be wrong, but the purpose of the reference voltage is that this is a differential signal switch.

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I looked at a previous forum and found those same wires you just told me about thank you so much but it seems to be checking out it read .6 volts and the parameter was .5 they said so I'm assuming it is working.....th en I read something about a kill switch could cause it but it cranks it just doesn't start is this true that when the kill switch is on the starter won't crank

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
And could a clutch safety switch cause this because the bracket that connects the two is broke but I held it in and still no prime

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
How do I test the clutch safety switch and the kill switch......plz help...,....and what color wires go from my fuel pump relay to the fuel pump and what should it read

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the condition of the electrical system? Were the changes listed above done to troubleshoot or are they part of the new 'normal'? This issue is clearly electrical, and I just want to make sure that we are looking for a typical malfunction, not a failure of some mod or patch.

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
No the electrical system is fine to my knowledge it has never given me a problem before and everything looks ok....all I did was bypass the kickstand switch and the lean sensor they both checked out fine on my multi meter and it will be replaced as soon as they new switch comes in.....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2005 fz6 I was riding it the other day and I noticed it was cutting back a little bit I parked it the next morning I get up to to start it and I cranks but no start. I noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump priming so I straight wired it to the battery it came on I then went too crank it but it still wouldn't fire it was like something had immobilized my starter and fuel pump plz help

Please confirm that the starter operates. Are there any codes? Generally, if you have a lean angle issue you should see a code. I've looked at the schematics on the FZ6 and never felt like I would give advice on bypassing the lean angle sensor because I have no specification on what resistance would be used other than a wide open or dead short. For me, it is unknown what effect a wide open or dead short will present especially when sensor supply voltages are share with other sensors.

There is a starter interrupt- cut off relay assembly that has 2 relays. One for the starter interrupt and one for fuel injection/fuel pump cut out. I forget what pod it's in. Left or right. It will have a 16 pin plug. Check to make sure it's fully plugged.

Can you confirm if there is spark?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So the basics.... If the engine cranks, all the switches are ok (neutral, sidestand, clutch). The fuel pump gets power from the 'Starting circuit cut-off relay'. When all conditions are met for fuel pump operation, the bike puts 12v on the red wire with the blue tracer. There is a black wire that provides ground.

So test these 2 wires and report back.

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I'm getting 5.2v from one red wire with blue and 4.8v from the other red wire with blue

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think we are going to need pictures. I am not sure about things when we are using terms like one and the other. How are you with wiring schematics? Do they help you?

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes I haven't been able to find any though but those were the readings I got off of the 16 pin relay and there was two red wires with blue on them so I tested both wasn't sure which one you were talking about

Josh4529

Reaction score
Visit site
H

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_152428059.jpg
    IMG_20210629_152428059.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210629_152419307.jpg
    IMG_20210629_152419307.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210629_152428059.jpg