Fuel Pump Issues + Metal in Tank

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great link and great info there...

IMHO, I'd rather clean what I have rather than installing someone eles's potentially dirty injectors...

A dirty trick I did to poor running Chev I picked up was to reverse flow the injectors to blow the filters debris from them after something dissolved in the tank.
In short you need a high pressure storage tank, shop air, some good quality hose to connect to the outside of the injector sealing the spray nozzle to the hose and preferably a none flammable cleaner. Oh the tank needs a feed off the bottom so when pressure is applied the cleaning agent is fed into the injector via regulated shop air (80psi in this case). Pressured it to 80 PSI, applied 12vdc to injector, and walla - reverse flow occurs. A bulk of the crap stuck in the filters of each injector came out. Lets just say it was good enough that it ran great and was treated with Techron fuel injector cleaner. It never had a problem!

I'm not saying this is the best path here but sometimes there are options. . . Even Air and 12v can remove large chunks. . . Just don't blow parts across the room. Hold the injector in a clean white towel over a garbage can with a fresh white bag in it. keeping in mind that you MAY damage the injector so don't blame me! And don't exceed the OEM fuel pressure. START LOW and go up to the max. Sometimes even the lowest pressure will push stuff out.

Dake

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after two tanks of cleaner it's running a lot better. It's still reluctant to get going at WOT or from a stop in 1st. As long as it remains rideable I'll let it be and not remove the injectors. Thanks for all the help and advice :rockon:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after two tanks of cleaner it's running a lot better. It's still reluctant to get going at WOT or from a stop in 1st. As long as it remains rideable I'll let it be and not remove the injectors. Thanks for all the help and advice :rockon:

Just curious, what are your engine temps running? if it seems to be running warm, it's because its starved for fuel. I'd hate to see you ruin an engine when some elbow grease would keep it alive.

Dake

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, what are your engine temps running? if it seems to be running warm, it's because its starved for fuel. I'd hate to see you ruin an engine when some elbow grease would keep it alive.

I don't have an exact number, but as far as the temp gauge bars go it seems the same as usual, even though it's 100+ degrees every day lately (it rarely goes out except at night).

It confuses me that on the highway I can pass with all of the usual gusto, even just by rolling on in top gear, but at under 6k (particularly in 1st and 2nd accelerating from low speed) it audibly struggles.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't have an exact number, but as far as the temp gauge bars go it seems the same as usual, even though it's 100+ degrees every day lately (it rarely goes out except at night).

It confuses me that on the highway I can pass with all of the usual gusto, even just by rolling on in top gear, but at under 6k (particularly in 1st and 2nd accelerating from low speed) it audibly struggles.

OK thanks on the temp reading. That seems good to know. But does it seem any hotter heat wise off the engine??

Watch this vid in the link. Is your's behaving like this? Although one has to wonder if the TPS died on this bike. . .
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...reased-after-drop-parking-lot.html#post495234
Does it do anything like this?

Dake

Reaction score
Visit site
OK thanks on the temp reading. That seems good to know. But does it seem any hotter heat wise off the engine??

Watch this vid in the link. Is your's behaving like this? Although one has to wonder if the TPS died on this bike. . .
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...reased-after-drop-parking-lot.html#post495234
Does it do anything like this?

It doesn't seem to run hotter. Though it would be hard to pinpoint that and say that it's not because the low last night was 79 degrees

It behaves somewhat like the bike there, but only under load does it do that at any point over ~3000rpm. It will sit in the driveway and rev fine all day (unless I do an immediate snap to WOT from idle, which I assume would happen anyway). As far as the noise goes it's similar, though less pronounced. fwiw, mine has never been down/dropped. The mystery continues.

Edit: My father suggested that something could be floating at the top of an injector nozzle such that it doesn't cause any problem, until the fuel flow gets so demanding that it gets sucked into a position of partially blocking the injector. Note that's not a mechanic's opinion, but it sounds plausible.

Last edited:

Dake

Reaction score
Visit site
An update, lest this be another thread with no ending ;)

Thank you guys for your advice and help. I ran three tanks of fuel injection cleaner since my last post, and the bike is running very well now. The 2011 FZ6R fuel pump has been going for several tanks, and is doing just fine. So if you're in line for a new fuel pump, save yourself $400+ and get an FZ6R one, they seem to do just fine :thumbup:

An aside: Before I found this forum I had no clue how to take a bike apart or work on one. I actually enjoyed fixing the FZ6, so now I've got a CB750 project I spend my nights on. Looks like you guys have created another gearhead :rockon:

lrojasma

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh men, that is so nice to hear that you found a new pasion, and gain encourage of the forum. :) i really like that.

Si1973

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pic's on the pump apart. You can get to the filter but be very gentle with it..

Hi there.
You replied to me yesterday on my similar issue of FZ6 losing power and galloping at higher revs.
I just wonder, do you still have those photos of how to remove the gauze filter on the fuel pump to clean it.
I'm planning on tank off this weekend.
Thanks,
Simon