FZ6 converting from 78hp to 98

wacolli

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I know this topic has been discussed a lot of times however there are so many different answers that I think it is reasonable to make a new one to be sure.
I would like to convert my limited 2006 Yamaha Fz6 from 78hp to 98hp. I've seen a lot of posts saying that grind limiter on throttle is enough, however... Someone mentioned that I need to do something with pin and ECU or re-maping the engine...

How should it be done in proper way?

Thanks for replies!

Attachments

• 20170502_115945.jpg
    20170502_115945.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 255

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum! I didn't know there was a difference in the ECU setting between the US and EU models. Is your throttle mechanism modified because your of L plate or is it another type restriction?

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
is the 2006 the only year the bikes made less power? How about the 2008 FZ6?
Just wondering if the same mode would apply.

Thanks

wacolli

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!
Thank you very much for warm welcome ;)

I didn't know there was a difference in the ECU setting between the US and EU models. Is your throttle mechanism modified because your of L plate or is it another type restriction?
To be honest I have no idea, most of the topics are quiet chaotic with a lot of spam so couldn't get any proper information from them.

The difference is simply the throttle stop (left side of the bike). You can either bend or cut yours to match the 98 HP one...

That's perfect!! Thank you for image, i will try to bend it. Hopefully i could do it without dismounting half of motorcycle..

Thanks

Hmm Good question. All informations about re-maping motorcycle and tinekring around ECU makes me think that not every version can be unblocked that easy. I'm not even sure is it true or not.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Thanks

To my knowledge, ALL US bikes are 98 HP.

EU has much more stringent drivers licence requirements (IE, less HP for new riders)

Also, many of the NON US bikes have the immobilizer (I suspect the ECU is slightly different for that).

Last edited:

wacolli

Reaction score
Visit site
The difference is simply the throttle stop (left side of the bike). You can either bend or cut yours to match the 98 HP one...

I'm so sorry for bringing it back but i have difficulty with bending. It's very tight there and can't manage to do it properly (all the time throttle cable is touching bended throttle stop). I am trying to avoid dismounting half of my motorcycle to do it properly but is there any way to do it? Was thinking about dismounting stop and than cutting it but there is a spring and i'm bit worried i won't be able to put it back..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm so sorry for bringing it back but i have difficulty with bending. It's very tight there and can't manage to do it properly (all the time throttle cable is touching bended throttle stop). I am trying to avoid dismounting half of my motorcycle to do it properly but is there any way to do it? Was thinking about dismounting stop and than cutting it but there is a spring and i'm bit worried i won't be able to put it back..

Do not try to bend that! You must either get a clear shot at that with a side cutter grinding wheel such as a dremel type moto tool or disassemble so that you don't harm associated components.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to avoid dismounting half of my motorcycle to do it properly but is there any way to do it? Was thinking about dismounting stop and than cutting it but there is a spring and i'm bit worried i won't be able to put it back..

Pulling the TB's isn't terribly difficult, BUT if you can remove the cables (easy enough-loosen and yank). If you can remove the plate at that point for the cutting would be best.

I had to tighten a throttle return spring on my FJR years ago. Not bad once you know the secret:

Take a regular plastic "zip tie" and drill a small hole (just big enough for the spring). Twist the tie many time till it tends to stay in a circular "pattern".

Now, when re-winding the TB spring, simply attach the tie to the springs END and pull it around in the proper direction till it's properly tension-ed. You can also un-wind controlled, as well, same procedure.

You have a "handle" and is CONSIDERABLY much easier... You can use this procedure even if you pull the TB's for access as well.

Last edited: