FZ6 Curious - looking for advice

Sprocket

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for a bike to upgrade to from my Ninja 500. Basically what I want is an all round bike for commuting, fun rides, and 1-4 weekend trips a year with divided highway riding. I drive at the speed limit and don't race but still enjoy the corners. Right now I'm looking at a Versys, FZ6 and VStrom. The FZ6 I'm looking at has 8800km and is a 2004, does this have FI? They want $4600Cdn for it. That price includes frame sliders, top box and Givi windshield. Is this a good value. Also something to consider is I'm 6ft and 175lb with gear, will this be too small for me?

Last edited:

Hutchmaster34

Sparkie
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Bump for FZ6 :thumbup:

IMO the FZ6 is the best all-around bike out there, especially since you can mod it in what every direction you want (touring, racing, sport, or mix it up).

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can only speak for the FZ6 ..its a fantastic bike!! it will tick all the boxes for versitility.and still give you a huge grin at the end..it wont be to small, im 6' 7" and its still comfortable for me price wise im not sure (i deal with £££) but if all the service stamps are there ,you cant go wrong...oh and yes its got FI

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'3"/200 lbs. I find that with all my gear on plus a full tail bag I can't make the bike seem sluggish or unresponsive at all. After my butt got used to the seat I could put 150 + miles on without needing any sort of a break and no cramping up.
I bought my '07 in May of '09. 5K miles on it and I paid $4,500.00.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
you'll get a lot of biased opinions on here toward the fz6. Its an awesome motorcycle. The build quality of the yamaha is really good. I think its better than kawasaki. Research, research, research. Then buy the bike that has what you want in it. Try and ride all of them, AT LEAST sit on them. I knew when i sat on the fz6, let alone rode it, it made my decision much easier.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there have been a ton of people upgrading from the EX500 to the FZ, and i have not heard a single complaint from them!

The FZ is my 3rd bike and i am very pleased with it FWIW.

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
I sat on all three of the those bikes and by far thought the FZ6 the most comfortable . . . . . (did someone say we might to biased ;) )

I'm 6foot tall and pushing about 180lbs kitted up and with 22lbs in my givi box absolutely no problems with the weight for the FZ6.

DO IT !! :thumbup:

and it's already got frame sliders screen and box, surely it a done deal

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
I moved from an EX500 to an FZ6 in April 2008 and couldn't be happier! I can't speak to the size of the bike for you, as I'm 5'4", and had to shave the seat down by an inch so I could touch with the toes of both feet, but otherwise:

The FZ6 was everything I liked about the EX500, but better! Better acceleration, better handing in the corners, and more comfortable on long rides. I did a 12,000 KM round-trip from Calgary, AB to PEI and back on the EX500 and did a similar-length trip south through the US (Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, San Francisco) and back up the coast on the FZ6. I definately noticed a difference in how I felt at the end of a long ride day between the two bikes.

One thing that really stands out as an improvement is my low-speed control (see reference to short legs above). I think it is because the hand position on the bars is a little wider on the FZ6 than on the EX500. My comfort with low-speed manuvers (tight turns around gas pumps, in parking lots, etc.) is much better on the FZ6 than it ever was on the EX500.

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 6'3" 220lbs and i love the way that my FZ6 feels and rides. I did have to jack the rear shock all the way up and purchase a Pugi DB windshield before I felt like she rode like the dream she was supposed to. The riding position is what originally sold me on the bike, the power, speed, handling, and comfort are what put the **** eating grin on my face everytime she is between my legs. :rockon:

jeepinoutwest

Reaction score
Visit site
I wrote a detailed Versys v. FZ6 comparo on here somewhere. I had an 05 FZ6 an 09 Versys, which I sold the same year to buy an 09 FZ6.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wrote a detailed Versys v. FZ6 comparo on here somewhere. I had an 05 FZ6 an 09 Versys, which I sold the same year to buy an 09 FZ6.

Not to mention styling....I personally think the Versys looks like butt and the Vstrom is alright, but it is HUGE for a small bike (if that makes any sense)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you could say we're a little biased but that doesn't mean our experience of the FZ6 is in any way invalid.

This bike is so unique in that you can push it towards touring and sport riding and it's great in so many arena's. It's always given me a little more than I expect of it. That's a good reason to be biased! Ha! :rockon:

Chillin

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is a great choice, I might only consider the Vstrom instead if you live in an area that has some fire roads, etc(very light offroad type of stuff).

Dino

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't speak for the other bikes you're looking to upgrade to - but I did ride my brother's 2001 500R this past November. The FZ has waaay more power. I was really surprised about that. Aside from the seat (stock, Corbin and now waiting on a Bill Mayer) the only quibble I have about the FZ is vibration in the bars at highyway speeds (about 80 mph indicated seems the worst). Outside of that (and maybe I just need to get used to it) it's a fantastic bike.