FZ6-Fazer 600 Custom undertail for single sided exhaust

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
Few months ago a friend and also the owner of Racetech exhausts called me and asked me if i could make an undertail for a fazer that has a single sided exhaust and the owner didn't like the empty space under the bike's tail.
After 5 minutes of talking, i've desided that i could do such a thing and we arranged to bring me the bike so i can start working.
What i did is quite simple, it took me less time than i expected and it was easier than what i thought.

The bike came with r6 headers and a racetech exhaust.
The first thing we have do first in such a case, is to take the tail appart so we can work properly.
singleside1.jpg

singleside2.jpg

After removing the central part of the tail, i had a to fill this gap.
singleside10.jpg

I've used a hot air gun with PolyPropilenium (PP) stick and you can see the result.
The reason that i've used polypropilenium stick is that the bottom part of the tail, the one that i had to work with, is made exactly from the same material so the welding is 100% succesfull.
singleside3m.jpg

After doing that, i've used the original tail to create a fake mold from aluminium tape, paper and nylon so i can apply a layer of polyester and create something that looks like with the undertail i wanted to create.
If you look closer to the pictures you will see that the original tail is under the ugly stuff!!!
By this way i've created the basic shape of the undertail, the size of it and the most importand of all, the curves that it needs so it can stay under the tail perfectly.
singlesided11.jpg

singleside5.jpg

The next step has a lot of cutting and rubbing and dust and water and a lot of dirt so it wasn't easy to take any photos.
Unfortunatelly i have only one saved.
singleside7.jpg

The last step is painting and fitting the undertail.
singleside4.jpg

singleside8.jpg

singleside9.jpg

I hope you like it!
Enjoy and if you have any guestions, please ask!

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Like ^^they^^ said, awesome job. That is some fine lookin' tail. :BLAA:

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, I just posted that if you do a side exit exhaust, that you should go ahead and do a tail swap, too. Instead, you go and fab something like this. That looks great! You could probably make a few and sell them to some forum members.

alkinoos

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, come on guys!
You are really interested about that???
I thought that nobody else would be interested in such a thing and I didn't keep the mold!!!
I could make a new one if you believe it worth the effort.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure I'd do it to my bike but I do think it's what Yamaha should have done in the first place. Looks so much better.