Fz6 losing power while riding

sammythekorean

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have read a lot of posts but seems like my problem is slightly different. So throughout the day it happens just enough to get me worked up, so here it goes. Sometimes in neutral bike will turn off. Power is still on so I have re push the engine start to turn it back on. Sometimes it won't so I will have to reset my kills witch real quick and then it turns on. Never have to wait that long to turn the bike back on so I'm lucky. Then as I ride it loses power in differnt gears and at different rpm levels. When it loses power my reading on m rpm is off, completely turns off instead of gradually decreasing. Sometimes I pill the throttle completely and power kicks in and then my rpm is reading shows close to red lining because of the throttle being turned all the way, seems right so far. But most of the time I will lose power while riding and have to drop to first and re push the engine start. This procedure is happening while I am still movin on the road which is dangerous. It happens maybe sometimes and not all every time I ride by still makes me mad.

What I have checked?

Checked all fuses and its ok.
Checked all connectors.
Jumped kickstand switch not it.
Clutch switch nope.
Emergency kill switch is good.
Thought it might be the fuel injector relay so I had it replaced for 40 bucks, not it.
Used techroline to clean the tank, nope.

I wish it wasn't the fuel pump but maybe it is. What else could be my problem? By the way the reason I replaced the relay was because sometimes the the relay will not click when I turn the bike on, so I thought it was that.

Bike info:
2005 fz6 with 14,900 miles
I do oil changes every 1500-2000 miles with full synthetic Yamaha brand
K&n oil filters
I have two brothers exhaust
K&n air filter with mod of cutting a big hole up top to suck more air in. The mod is in this forum.
No power commander yet but bike still ran fine without it for a while.
New battery
This problem starts happening a month ago. Bike ran perfect before this happened.
All out of ideas and really don't want to put her in the shop so they can steals lots of my money.

Also not tps, checked the list already.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree its not like the others as it seems you have two issues happening at the same time.
1) the electrical system shuts down, i.e. dash out and engine off.
2) the engine will run after being shut down but the starter is locked out.

Is this correct?

For the second part I have this: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-electrical/46547-starter-lock-out-trouble-shooting.html Read, look it over and see what crosses over to the 1st item. It could be they are related.

IMO - things that can be weeded out based upon what you said above and what you've done so far as the battery and fuel pump. Is it a true statement that when "everything is working normal" the starter cranks at a normal speed and it starts/runs normally like it did?

Again; this is another bike I WOULD PARK UNTIL THIS IS RESOLVED as it MAY GET YOU KILLED!

After inspecting everything around the battery, pull it apart and follow all main leads to ignition switch and left side pod, I'd cut the Zip tires holding the wire loom to the fork tube and fire it up. Push, Pull, Twist, bend and move that loom from the ign switch all about and see if it cuts off. That'd be my second major step after the primary inspection pulling all connectors apart and looking for faults.

Keep us posted please!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like it could possible be a regulator/rectifier over heating issue if the bike is loosing all electrical power.