FZ6-N Instrument Cluster acting up.

kala

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!

I bought my first bike about 5 years ago second hand and before me, the instrument cluster was tampered with Probably odometer wind-back or who knows what and after a year of riding it started to act up, i opened it up and the connection between the display and pcb was broken, so i opened it up even more to solder new wires to it. After putting it back together, i gave it some hot-glue aswell. The instrument cluster worked fine (~4 years) until a week ago when the bike was in heavy rain for a few days. The display had moisture in it, opened it up, dried it and tested it, worked again but the odometer was at zero, so something short-circuited the pcb, but still worked and i put the pcb into its casing, sealed it and let it dry for a few days.

After connecting the instrument cluster to the bike, big EP is flashing on the display, turning the iginition ON changes nothing.

Leaving the ignition to ON, disconnecting the 4-pin connector and re-connecting it, the display turns on like it should, everything works as it should. So i put the bike back togeher and went to ride, it worked until i turned the ignition off after ~40km. After that it shows me Er_1 and Er_2, also temp and fuel indicators are flashing with the ignition at OFF position, when turning the ignition on, instrument cluster works as it should and i can go ride. After leaving the bike overnight, it is flashing EP again.

The bike runs fine without the instrument cluster.

I opened the instrument cluster up to investigate, so far i have:
1. Checked the wires.
2. Checked the resistors on pcb.
3. Checked the pcb for burns or corrosion.
4. Battery seems fine.

Test drive:
https://i.imgur.com/EmmQ99t.jpg
4-Pin wire:
https://i.imgur.com/wO3uHk8.jpg
Big EP:
https://i.imgur.com/uPKgaza.jpg
Here's a video about the Er_1 and Er_2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_2GTntI6J4

Any kind of help or suggestions are well appreciated.
Thanks for your attention.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our great forum!
The instrument cluster has a chip that interacts with the ECU. There is a data line from the ECU to the instrument cluster. If there is a delay in those devices talking to each other there may be er-1/er-2 codes thrown. This could be a case where there is crosstalk or some other issue with a damaged component in the cluster or ECU.

An example might be an ungrounded soldering iron was used to make repairs and/or there was no static protection of the device when working at component level.

I hope it works out for you. My first impression per your information and the history is the cluster is kaput.

kala

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your input, i am not giving up just yet, talked to a motorcycle electrician today, he's willing to inspect it some time next week. Before i will take it to him, i will tear the lcd and casing off from the display and clean it all with 96% alcohol, then re-solder the lcd to pcb.

kala

Reaction score
Visit site
Instrument cluster fixed, didn't have to take it to electrician, got it working myself. Reason for it to cause problems was moisture, the moisture made some goo and formed some kind of salts on the pcb that got between the display connector to the pcb which is some kind of rubber material that has wires in it. After cleaning the pcb properly and re-soldering the display light panel back to the pcb it started to work.

Owner before me who opened up the instrument cluster to do who knows what caused this issue. I am just glad that the part is so robust and withstand moisture issues multiple times and can be messed around with, without breaking.

This issue has been solved.

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Well done I was going to say try getting the board ultra sonically cleaned you'd be amazed at how many boards in the laptop repair industry come back to life with a proper clean. Glad to see you got it working.