fz6 or s2?

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Need some clarification...just bought a 2009 fzr in Louisiana...is this just an
fz6 or is it a Fazer or an s2? What exactly have I got? Other than a beautiful, awesome bike?

Differences between N. American and Euro versions?

ddg

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When you say you have a FZR, I assume you mean a FZ6R which is a new bike for '09. A "S2" is a second generation FZ6 which is manufactured from 07-09 (and on I hope). The first generation FZ6 was made from 04-06. This is all for the North American market, mostly same for Europe I believe. Fazer is just a nickname for the FZ6, some also say Fizer, all say awesome. Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forums. There is a specific section for the FZ6R recently added as well.

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 - N models are European Nakeds. North American models never have come stock-naked.

FZ6 - S American/European faired models 2004-2006

FZ6 - S2 American/European faired models 2007+

FZ6R - 2009 New FULLY FAIRED model (possibly the one you have). Brand new cowling and fairing design. Full cowling.

FZ6 ABS - European Models with Anti-lock brakes. North American models never have ABS.

FAZER - Disambiguation used to describe any FZ6, but mostly aimed towards the FAIRED models.

NAKED - Disambiguation used to describe ONLY the nonfaired (skeleton) FZ6. If you see a NAKED FZ6 in America, somebody has been doing some serious modding.

Last edited:

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 - N models are European Nakeds.

FZ6 - S American faired models 2004-2006

FZ6 - S2 American faired models 2007+

FZ6R - 2009 New FULLY FAIRED model (possibly the one you have).

FZ6 ABS - European Models with Anti-lock brakes.

FAZER - Disambiguation used to describe any FZ6, but mostly aimed towards the FAIRED models.

NAKED - Only released in Europe. Used for nonfaired models.

very nice!!!

aussiejules

Elite Member
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
r but what about here in oz, yeh i know you guys dont care. Pretty much the same, we actually had the fz6n first and the fazer came later. Very nice explanation :thumbup:

jcbarr318

Reaction score
Visit site
Working on photo. I know about the fully faired fz6r. I have the half-faired
fzr. OTD for 6600. Some nut traded this 2009 with 866 miles in for a suz gzx650f. I got the better end of that deal, I think. My other bike is a VStar 650 for when I'm feeling cruiser-y. Also got a YZ sitting in the garage. Love my Tuning Forks!!!!

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Working on photo. I know about the fully faired fz6r. I have the half-faired
fzr. OTD for 6600. Some nut traded this 2009 with 866 miles in for a suz gzx650f. I got the better end of that deal, I think. My other bike is a VStar 650 for when I'm feeling cruiser-y. Also got a YZ sitting in the garage. Love my Tuning Forks!!!!

Then you have a half faired FZ-6, not fzr since "fzr" does not exist. It's like the answer when you divide by zero.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
A picture is definitely a good idea. As stated, there's no such thing as a 2009 FZR.

It's either an FZ6-S ("standard" FZ6, basically the same since 04), or an FZ6R (fully faired, new for 2009).

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the FZR 600 does exist, but hasn't been made since 1994. My bet is that you have the FZ6-S2.

1994 FZR :thumbup::
97fzr600yamaha1007.JPG

fazerfish

Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK the current faired model is described by Yamaha as an FZ6 Fazer S2, the naked version is an FZ6 S2.

The new FZ6 (in US) is called an XJ6 Diversion and the naked bike an XJ6.

Don't know why we have to be different. :confused:

bushboarder

moved on up
Reaction score
Visit site
Need some clarification...just bought a 2009 fzr in Louisiana...is this just an
fz6 or is it a Fazer or an s2? What exactly have I got? Other than a beautiful, awesome bike?

Differences between N. American and Euro versions?

Like others have said, no matter which name you use for it, it's awesome.
Welcome to the club, enjoy!

dantow

The Phoenix
Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK the current faired model is described by Yamaha as an FZ6 Fazer S2, the naked version is an FZ6 S2.

The new FZ6 (in US) is called an XJ6 Diversion and the naked bike an XJ6.

Don't know why we have to be different. :confused:

I thought the xj6/ xj6 diversion were a different model

Z

Zealadin

From what I know (here in Aus at least) the XJ6's are totally different from the FZ6's, they are a totally different machine made to be learner legal.

fazerfish

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6R is a fully faired version of the UK XJ6 Diversion, different colours too. Same engine, same frame, same neat exhaust...... Not sure about the Aus version. As in the US this looks like the future of the Yamaha UK do it all 600 unfortunately. :(

Z

Zealadin

I was more meaning that the XJ6 including the British ones are not actually the same as a FZ6 with a different look, its a different engine, and its less powerful. Can take a look at the Yamaha page all the details about the 'new' design of the XJ6 there.

The FZ6 S2 =/= XJ6. I thought this initially too until I did a bit of research.

I liked the looks of the XJ6 and was going to buy one till I realised they aren't as powerful as a FZ6, and I wanted a proper 600, not a learner legal bike.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 as we tend to know it on this site such as the FZ6 s2 is a detuned R6. The FZ6R is a detuned version of the FZ6s2 which is an XJ6 or diversion in the UK. It's designed to me a bit more friendly to the newer rider but according to reports still has bags of fun on board.

Here's a couple of links which might help clear things up for you.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/619/0/home.aspx

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Yamaha/Yamaha-XJ6-Diversion-2009-current/?&R=EPI-105812