FZ6 Or SV650 and Why

cjb600

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in the market for a FZ6. I owned a 2005 model and sold it 2 years ago and now want another one I think. I am also looking at the Suzuki SV650. Any people here ridden/owned both? I read the reviews and the only thing I can tell is most prefer the low end of the SV. I have ridden the FZ6, so I know what it can do, but have not had a chance to ride the SV. I will be using the bike mostly for commuting and shorter day trips 100-200 miles. Thanks for your input!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 04 fz6 and use to own a dl650 wich is basicly the same motor and tranny as the sv and would say that after owning a fz6 the sv will likly let you down power wise

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at the SV as well when shoping and have since ridden one. Compared to the FZ it's a big let down in top end power and overall low end is nice on the twin as others nor did I like the riding position....narrow bars and more SS like seating position. My thoughts.....

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive ridden both

sv is a great bike but feels a lot smaller. smaller tire/overall size/etc

sv was fun and definitely put a smile on my face but the extra power and "heavier duty" feel of the FZ makes the FZ a better bike imo.

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a new to me 2007 FZ6 and my good friend and normal riding partner has a 06 SV650. I actually rode both this past sunday, we did a bike swap about half way thru the ride.

The SV is a quick "little" bike. I mean that it feels smaller, handles smaller, and isn't as stout on the road. I feel much more stable behind the bars of the FZ. The rear tire is a 160, and the FZ has a 180 if that means anything to you. The suspensions are both equally not adjustable. So they'll both likely need some tinkering with the suspension to suit your riding down the road. The power curve of the sv is a lot lower, but above 5k the FZ will leave it behind. Trust me, I know. We did some roll on's on both bikes, and then swapped bikes and did them again. It wasn't a huge difference, but from 50-100 in 4th 5th and 6th gears the FZ would pull away from the SV once wound up. The FZ has a smoother transmission shift than the SV as well, the "snick snick" feeling is a bit more pronounced and I personally thought it was more confident in the shift. The parts are ABUNDANT for the SV, huge aftermarket support. Lots of options for exhaust, levers, etc if thats your thing as well.

All in all, he even admitted the FZ had an edge over the SV. He said that if given the choice of the two, he would have likely chosen the FZ instead!

Hope that helps!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
My friend has a Gladius that I've ridden a few times. It has a little better power delivery then the older SV. The bike is fun to ride because it's so light. It's really much better mannered in traffic.

My friend put a gsxr rear shock on it and racetech springs and cartridge fork emulator in the forks. So at least his seems to handle better then my FZ I'm sure the upgraded suspension helps.

The FZ does beat the Gladius in top end, looks and braking. I also think the FZ is a little better built.

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
I have not ridden the SV650, but I own a Kawi 650R which is a similar bike. I would have to agree with many of the above comments. The 650R just feels smaller, and has a less attractive 160 wide rear. The low end of the parallel twin is really nice, but overall power is lacking. Also, you cant beat winding out the FZ6 motor to 14K RPM's. Additionally the heavier/bigger FZ6 just feels smoother.

The 650R is a great bike though. The Kawi clutch engagement is smoother than the Yami, and the throttle is a little easier to caress.

Sorry for not touching on the SV, but I figure the 650R is a pretty good point of comparison as well. Overall, I highly recommend the FZ6 and am so happy I decided to buy one.

Kaisersoze

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6, because yamaha is a better quality brand than suzuki.

1. Honda 2. Yamaha 3/4. either suzuki or kawasaki.

But while Honda is better quality, it gets a -1 on the fun factor. I think Yamaha blends the best of both worlds. Honda tends to take the edge off things.

*flame suit on*

Now before someone pulls a one-off example of a bike honda makes that is the bees knees when it comes to ultra performance...allow me to point out that just because Nissan makes the GT-R doesnt mean you see even a shadow of that potential in the rest of its line up (sentra, altima, maxima).

Last edited:

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
What do you want out of the bike?

Sporty/nimble/light weight?

or

Comfy/fast(er)/commuter?

If your leaning more toward sporty and nimble vs stable and comfy then go with the SV. Still plenty quick enough and a great bike to find your fast on. If you like top end and want something comfier and better for 2-up I'd say fz6

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6, because yamaha is a better quality brand than suzuki.

1. Honda 2. Yamaha 3/4. either suzuki or kawasaki.

But while Honda is better quality, it gets a -1 on the fun factor. I think Yamaha blends the best of both worlds. Honda tends to take the edge off things.

*flame suit on*

Now before someone pulls a one-off example of a bike honda makes that is the bees knees when it comes to ultra performance...allow me to point out that just because Nissan makes the GT-R doesnt mean you see even a shadow of that potential in the rest of its line up (sentra, altima, maxima).

I love my Honda. I really like the new CBR600F, if it was available here in the states I would have one instead of my FZ. Not sure why Honda doesnt release it here and target the FZ6R and the GSX650F. Not that there is anything wrong the FZ- its an awesome bike and I love it too but it would be cool to have a newer version of my first bike. The new CBR RRs just arent the same as my old F3. The CBR600F is what the FZ6R should have been, in my opinion.

Last edited:

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I've wanted an SV650 for as long as I can remember. I probably would've bought one, but every one I found when I went bike shopping was above my price range. Add to that the fact that I'm not normally one to be happy with what I've got...

I really, really like my FZ6. I've almost never felt like the bottom end was lacking, at least not in a noticeable way... if I'm riding down low, chances are it's because I'm riding for economy, not speed anyway. The top end though, is pure fun. I'm really not sure anyone *needs* more than it has. I'm far from the most experienced rider, but I sure can't out-ride my bike. That said, I haven't ridden an SV... yet. :p

The suspension is one advantage of the SV. Not for what it's got stock, but for upgradability. The rear shock is an almost bolt-in swap for a ZX10 or ZX14 shock. IIRC the fork can be fairly easily swapped for an inverted GSX-R unit, though I forget if the swap I saw retained the steering lock.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com

Yep. but look at the torque.

And 30lbs lighter. Other then top end the SV is a real good performer and the newer one has a little better engine.

I love my FZ6 and would not even think about trading it for a SV. But doesn't mean the SV isn't a nice middleweight bike also.

146_0606_02_z+fun_factor_preview+torque_dyno.jpg

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
A 4cilinder is much more forgiving. If you choose the wrong gear on a v-twin 2 cylinder it will lock up your rear tire really fast. That is the downside of having much torque on low rpm. I think a 4 in line is much more controllable. If you want to go slow and relaxed it does that really good. If you wanna go fast you just have to rev it. You are in full control. If you wanna go slow on a v-twin 2 cylinder you need to work with the clutch a lot to make it go slow. A v-twin 2 cylinder starts to shake a lot on low rpm's. So if you are someone who is searching for a all rounder the fz6 is in my opinion one of the best bikes available. Trust me. When I had my fz6 in the beginning I thought, damn that is a boring bike. But I really started to love it in the years that came. It is just almost perfect.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I think IMHO that a 4 cyl, even though it has more top end, would be a better first bike because of the fact that the bottom end dosent have as much grunt. Most first time riders on the fz dont take it above 9k any ways and below 9k the fz is a great, confident, forgiving bike for anyone to learn on. Vs the sv wich is capable of pulling the front tire at 6k accidentally where you have to demand that out of the fizzer. That can be a traumatizeing experience for a newby to the biking world. One that ive sceen people stray away from bikes all together because they are "dangerous"

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
I never said the SV was a bad choice.

Yep. but look at the torque.

And 30lbs lighter. Other then top end the SV is a real good performer and the newer one has a little better engine.

I love my FZ6 and would not even think about trading it for a SV. But doesn't mean the SV isn't a nice middleweight bike also.

146_0606_02_z+fun_factor_preview+torque_dyno.jpg

Jugro

Reaction score
Visit site
SV650 for the fun factor. Fix the suspension and your done, a fork swap to a GSX-R 600 front is super easy. Didn't have any quality problems with my SV even though I dropped it a few times.

FZ6 for a good all-rounder, that does everything your going too need.

Wish I didn't have to give up my SV to get a FZ6, but that's how the world turns.