FZ6 Or SV650 and Why

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I chose the FZ over the SV for 2 reasons.

1. Comfort. I need a bike that can be ridden long distances without destroying my back/wrists, the SV isn't it.

2. Top end power! I love engines that come to life on the top end, like the old "power band" on the 2 stroke dirt bikes. If you look at the SV's power curves, it just falls on it's face up top...kinda like sex without the finish!

Philippe1985

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my Honda. I really like the new CBR600F, if it was available here in the states I would have one instead of my FZ. Not sure why Honda doesnt release it here and target the FZ6R and the GSX650F. Not that there is anything wrong the FZ- its an awesome bike and I love it too but it would be cool to have a newer version of my first bike. The new CBR RRs just arent the same as my old F3. The CBR600F is what the FZ6R should have been, in my opinion.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29617613/15082011244.jpg

I have one now, and there isn't that much difference with the fz6. I love it. :)
The biggest difference is the seating position and the sound. I really don't need an aftermarket exhaust. It's kind of bizarre. If you stand next to the bike it doesn't seem that loud. But when riding you always have that deep aftermarket-kind of a sound. It is fantastic. :) And the clutch and gearbox is a dream compared with the fz6. Seating position is the only thing I had to get used too. Don't get me wrong, in the end it still is comfortable, but if you compare it with the fz6, than the fz6 is much comfier. But I got used to it. Really love the bike. It also is a do-it-all. :)

Last edited:

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Get the SV, especially if you owned an fz6 already. I like change. But I would go for the SV1k rather than 650

wrlomas

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode both before I bought my fz6. I liked the sv but it was too light for me. I found it sorta shakes. I prefered the fz for the stable accurate feel. The sv was fun, great city bike, lots of tourqe and nimble but lacked that stuck to the road feel I get with the 6.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site

Darth Fazer

formerly Anakin StarRider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden both bikes & the SV is a very, very fun bike in the twisties; very easy to wheelie mid-corner (scary but fun!). I chose the FZ because of less maintenance (26.5k valve adjustment intervals vs SV's 14.5k) & also I feel that Yamaha has the best fit/finish quality of all Asian bikes, rivaled only by Honda (who likes to over-engineer everything, German-style, & make even changing a headlamp bulb an all-afternoon project!). Don't get me wrong, I love the SV650 & the DL650 was my second choice before buying my FZ; but I felt the FZ just fits what I want a bike to do a little better.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a new to me 2007 FZ6 and my good friend and normal riding partner has a 06 SV650. I actually rode both this past sunday, we did a bike swap about half way thru the ride.

The SV is a quick "little" bike. I mean that it feels smaller, handles smaller, and isn't as stout on the road. I feel much more stable behind the bars of the FZ. The rear tire is a 160, and the FZ has a 180 if that means anything to you. The suspensions are both equally not adjustable. So they'll both likely need some tinkering with the suspension to suit your riding down the road. The power curve of the sv is a lot lower, but above 5k the FZ will leave it behind. Trust me, I know. We did some roll on's on both bikes, and then swapped bikes and did them again. It wasn't a huge difference, but from 50-100 in 4th 5th and 6th gears the FZ would pull away from the SV once wound up. The FZ has a smoother transmission shift than the SV as well, the "snick snick" feeling is a bit more pronounced and I personally thought it was more confident in the shift. The parts are ABUNDANT for the SV, huge aftermarket support. Lots of options for exhaust, levers, etc if thats your thing as well.

All in all, he even admitted the FZ had an edge over the SV. He said that if given the choice of the two, he would have likely chosen the FZ instead!

Hope that helps!
if there is anything i have learned about motorcycles or life in general it is; you always would like what you don't have...

5spoke

Reaction score
Visit site
I started my motorcycling life on an SV650S and then switched to my current fz6. Both bikes are awesome. I think the fz is a little more powerful and much smoother. The SV had some slop built in. I like my fz just a bit more than I did my sv , plus with my height 6'5" the fz fits my legs where the sv had an odd shaped tank for my figure.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're really tall the SV might be a little cramped compared to the FZ. I really like SV's power plant...great for twisties. However, I'm 6'3" so it's just too small of a bike for me.

tommykaw

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a 2003 blue nked sv650 for 3 years. Great bike it had a zx10 rear shock and cartridge emulaters up front. It was a fun bike to commute on and ride any where up to about 90mph then it ran out of steam. It was one of my favorite bikes. I got bored with it and bought a 2004 silver fz6 from a buddy who upgraded to the fz1.
My opinion is they are both excellent bikes. SV handles a little better after the suspension is fixed. It's a little faster riding low speed.
The FZ6 comes with a lot of stuff guys take for granted. 1) a hugger none on the SV, 2) a center stand something that is great for chain lubing or fixing a rode flat. 3) a front fairing-great to get out of the wind 4) a 180 out back instead of the skinny 160 5) under seat exhaust was a sylying trend back in 2004 6) a decent size tank ..The FZ6 is a decent size bike for 2 up riding and very low maintenance. It's an easy bike to own and ride and it will make time if you are on a long ride trying to get home.
Ironically my buddy has a versys(same motor as the 650r) and I think my KLX 400 is almost as fast...just my 2 cents Tom

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Suzuki makes you choose between handlebars or a fairing on their two sv650 models. Well i want both, so i bought a fz6

I didnt think suzuki offered 2 models of the sv anymore...the only one you can get now is fully faired isnt it

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6, because yamaha is a better quality brand than suzuki.

1. Honda 2. Yamaha 3/4. either suzuki or kawasaki.

But while Honda is better quality, it gets a -1 on the fun factor. I think Yamaha blends the best of both worlds. Honda tends to take the edge off things.

*flame suit on*

Now before someone pulls a one-off example of a bike honda makes that is the bees knees when it comes to ultra performance...allow me to point out that just because Nissan makes the GT-R doesnt mean you see even a shadow of that potential in the rest of its line up (sentra, altima, maxima).

I agree. Honda makes great lawnmowers.

kostekh

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that SV has only one advantage - midrange power.
FZ6 has a lot more to offer- it is more stable and comfortable espacially for the passanger, has 25 BHP more than SV and seems to be more reliable.

If You want bike for short funny, stunty rides choose SV, if You want solid , fast universal bike choose FZ6

2 years ago I had similar problem - I have choosen FZ6 with fairing and I dont regret it at all!