FZ6-S 2005 CYLINDER HEAD ASSY replacement

yanik

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I`m new here and looking for some technical info regarding my bike.

I`m riding on Fazer 600cc manufactured in 2005

I`m looking to replace my cylinder head assy completely because i have a small crack on mine and its sprays some oil while riding.

I had found good looking part on e-bay, and its not cost much, the problem is that i had found some differences between the one i have installed and the one i want to buy.
On the one i want to buy is engraved 5VX00 Y-2 and on the one i have installed on mine bike its 5VX00 Y-3.

Does anyone knows the what are the Y-X states?

Thanks in advance guys!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I`m new here and looking for some technical info regarding my bike.

I`m riding on Fazer 600cc manufactured in 2005

I`m looking to replace my cylinder head assy completely because i have a small crack on mine and its sprays some oil while riding.

I had found good looking part on e-bay, and its not cost much, the problem is that i had found some differences between the one i have installed and the one i want to buy.
On the one i want to buy is engraved 5VX00 Y-2 and on the one i have installed on mine bike its 5VX00 Y-3.

Does anyone knows the what are the Y-X states?

Thanks in advance guys!

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Something minor likely changed in the casting itself but i have no idea what. Sorry. I can not imagine it would stop you from using it tho. Read on and you may be able to figure it out.
I cant say this about the block casting ##### but in the Yama PN the last 4 digits change on minor revisions of the upper level assembly. Like this; -00-00 could go to -01-00 because something is different. That said, the little difference could be the brand of paint used / or an O-ring supplier changed, a bolt used, one of the sub-components (was improved, but still works with all the other parts), so it doesn't actually effect the Form, Fit, or function but it changes the PN slightly.

Look at these links and find the item changed from 04 to 05 and you may find the difference. Hint; copy and paste the part number listing into excel, sort by part number, turn on Do not show duplicates and you'll find it.

I'd say you're ok to order!

You consider welding the crack?

Look at these:

5VX-11101-00-00 YAMAHA CYLINDER HEAD ASSY

2004 FZ6 - FZ600SS CYLINDER
2004 FZ6 - FZ600SSC CYLINDER

2005 FZ6 - FZS6T Yamaha Motorcycle CYLINDER Diagram and Parts
2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST CYLINDER
2005 FZ6 - FZ6STC CYLINDER
2005 FZ6 - FZS6T CYLINDER
2005 FZ6 - FZS6TC CYLINDER

1B3-11101-00-00 YAMAHA CYLINDER HEAD ASSY

2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V Yamaha Motorcycle CYLINDER Diagram and Parts

1B3-11101-00-00 YAMAHA CYLINDER HEAD ASSY
2006 FZ-6 - FZS6V CYLINDER
2006 FZ-6 - FZS6VC CYLINDER
2007 FZ6 - FZS6W CYLINDER
2007 FZ6 - FZS6WC CYLINDER
2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) (CA ED.) - FZS6XBC CYLINDER
2008 FZ6 (DARK PURPLISH BLUE METALLIC U) (CA ED.) - FZS6XLC CYLINDER
2008 FZ6 - FZS6XB CYLINDER
2008 FZ6 - FZS6XCB CYLINDER
2008 FZ6 - FZS6XCL CYLINDER
2008 FZ6 - FZS6XL CYLINDER

Last edited:

bpchura

Reaction score
Visit site
Could you post any pictures of the crack and its location? I have never heard of the head cracking. Due to a faulty casting, freezing, ect I'm curious to find out why this happened.

yanik

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi again,

FinalImpact, i considered welding it, but the crack is too close to the bolt that connects the chassis to the motor and i`m afraid that the welding will distort the thread, and not to mention the price drop i will have to do when i will want to sell the bike.

Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful.

This is the cylinder head:
Yamaha FZ6 Fazer 2004 2006 600cc Complete Cylinder Head with Camshafts 5VX00 Y 2 | eBay

any comments will be appreciated.

bpchura

i don`t have a picture of the crack, i cover it with a peace of textile and ride as it is and i don`t want to remove it for now. you can see in the pictur,e i marked the location of it, it`s right behind the "hand" that attaches to bike to the chassis on the side that closer to the radiator.

The bike is not mine, Although i have the some color :Flash:

i think i might bought the bike with the crack, but i noticed the oil only few months later as it did not sprayed much.

Attachments

• 100_1908.JPG
    100_1908.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 356

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I seldom follow fleebay links but i did this time. Off hand, something looks fishy with cyl #1 as there is no obvious grey ash like 2-4... You might ask for some clarification on that.
It could be camera angle but somehow #1 does not look like 2, 3, or 4. Anyone see that?

A simple explanation is head gasket failure and steam cleaned the combustion chamber. That said, after sitting; 4 valves of cylinder #1 could be rusted in place and you can't just throw it on there; but that may not be your intent!?
You might ask if the oil was milky or for some other angles. JM2C but 1 is not like the others!
Good luck!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I seldom follow fleebay links but i did this time. Off hand, something looks fishy with cyl #1 as there is no obvious grey ash like 2-4... You might ask for some clarification on that.
It could be camera angle but somehow #1 does not look like 2, 3, or 4. Anyone see that?

A simple explanation is head gasket failure and steam cleaned the combustion chamber. That said, after sitting; 4 valves of cylinder #1 could be rusted in place and you can't just throw it on there; but that may not be your intent!?
You might ask if the oil was milky or for some other angles. JM2C but 1 is not like the others!
Good luck!

Its definitely cleaner inside the "outskirts" on cylinder #1. By the plugs, it looks about the same and over all, pretty clean..

The ad does state is also came off a 2005 model, and as FI noted above, they change casting #'s for all different reasons. Could be a date code/ casting run as well. To my knowledge, the head has remained the same (short of color) from 04 thru 09.

You may want to check on the warranty and RETURN SHIPPING if there's an issue. You'll have at least half a day in labor so you don't to do it twice..

Shipping might be pricey...

For the OP, depending on the EXACT LOCATION, welding is a definite option. A good TIG welder would "V" out the crack, drill the ends of the crack, etc. Now if it gets into an oil gallery, that'd probably be an issue as you don't want to weld it closed.

Is the leak weeping and just spraying about while riding OR UNDER PRESSURE, blowing harder with more RPM's?

The head needs to come off in any case. Being the location is apparently very near the left frame mount, I suspect the head mount is cracked (did you check the tightness of that bolt??)

And just a side note, should you entertain welding it, you may consider a marine propeller shop for the repair. They weld thin aluminum (aluminum props) which is harder to weld than thicker aluminum.

Here's a before and after pic of a marine lower unit I had to dis-assemble, get welded and re-assemble. Still holding:

Repaired:

Last edited:

yanik

Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact,

Any chance you mark the things that you say is fishy on the picture? its hard to understand to what do you mean.

its not a head gasket failure as i tried already to replace once the cylinder head and one of the valves collapsed, he corrupted the cylinder head and one of the pistons, i had to replace 1 piston and to return to the cracked cylinder head.

i`m sorry i did not understood the rest of the message, will be glad if you will write it more clearly for me.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FinalImpact,

Any chance you mark the things that you say is fishy on the picture? its hard to understand to what do you mean.

its not a head gasket failure as i tried already to replace once the cylinder head and one of the valves collapsed, he corrupted the cylinder head and one of the pistons, i had to replace 1 piston and to return to the cracked cylinder head.

i`m sorry i did not understood the rest of the message, will be glad if you will write it more clearly for me.

In the 3rd picture, tbe left most chamber is cleaner than the other 3 chambers. During normal combustion a healthy engine typically the exhaust valves will be grey with a light coating of ash or combustion deposits. The intake valves are thinner and run cooler temperatures as the air and fuel cool them. Thus they normally have a very different color.

Granted; picture #3 has shadows but in those shadows the colors look incorrect (different from the others) as the combustion chamber looks to be deposit free (too clean). This can happen when an engine is ran with a leaking head gasket as the combustion process turns the coolant to high pressure steam which cleans the combustion chamber making it look like the one in the picture. Too clean.

Or someone could have manually cleaned it if for example the engines piston rings were not sealing and it was passing oil, they may clean it for the pictures. I need a better picture tho!
Request all the history on the engine; did it have a blown head gasket, water in the oil or oil in the coolant?. Ask for a better picture of the combustion chambed side of the head and how many km on the bike it came from....

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It may just be bad lighting but the valve seat area appears very shinny in picture #3 of fleebay post.
FWIW: Viewing on a phone...

This random picture I found is more typical...

img302.jpg

FWIW: exhaust valves are the smaller ones. They run HOT as the burned gasses flow passed them.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
its not a head gasket failure as i tried already to replace once the cylinder head and one of the valves collapsed, he (the valve?)corrupted the cylinder head and one of the pistons, i had to replace 1 piston and to return to the cracked cylinder head.

Do I understand ALL the bolded above is previous/current damage to YOUR ENGINE???

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guessing here;
Sounds like the original head was damaged and leaking oil (crash broke frame & head?).
A replacement head was installed and it dropped a valve and trashed at least one hole.
Original leaking head went back on along with a piston.
Yanick, does that sound right? What are we missing?

Pictures please...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like a valve kissed a piston, broke off, bounced around the combustion chamber destroying the piston and cracking the head.

If the above happened, he's lucky the cylinder / block didn't get damaged.

Seems we may never know!!

yanik

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
Sorry i didn't replied earlier, busy busy busy

In the 3rd picture, tbe left most chamber is cleaner than the other 3 chambers. During normal combustion a healthy engine typically the exhaust valves will be grey with a light coating of ash or combustion deposits. The intake valves are thinner and run cooler temperatures as the air and fuel cool them. Thus they normally have a very different color.

Granted; picture #3 has shadows but in those shadows the colors look incorrect (different from the others) as the combustion chamber looks to be deposit free (too clean). This can happen when an engine is ran with a leaking head gasket as the combustion process turns the coolant to high pressure steam which cleans the combustion chamber making it look like the one in the picture. Too clean.

Or someone could have manually cleaned it if for example the engines piston rings were not sealing and it was passing oil, they may clean it for the pictures. I need a better picture tho!
Request all the history on the engine; did it have a blown head gasket, water in the oil or oil in the coolant?. Ask for a better picture of the combustion chambed side of the head and how many km on the bike it came from....

i asked some questions:

The seller don`t know how much KM the bike have done
the engine was dissembled in year 2005 and it was working

Do I understand ALL the bolded above is previous/current damage to YOUR ENGINE???

No, this is not the damage to my engine.

Guessing here;
Sounds like the original head was damaged and leaking oil (crash broke frame & head?).
A replacement head was installed and it dropped a valve and trashed at least one hole.
Original leaking head went back on along with a piston.
Yanick, does that sound right? What are we missing?

Pictures please...

i will elaborate more:

I bought the bike,
after 2 months I noticed some oil on the side of the bike where the arrow of the picture shows.
i found very small crack that spraying/leaking/call it whatever you want while riding.
i bought used head assy on ebay with the valves and the camshafts, installed it, one of the valves broke down and bounced inside the engine damaging the installed head assy and one of the piston.
i replaced the piston with a new one and installed the original head assy (the leaking one)

This is the whole story

Thanks again for your attention and remarks!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hindsight; perhaps the head in the photo was pressure washed as the outside is spotless too.

I'd rather have oil film (some grime) than water shot at the head. Especially if its not getting used right away.... Too much time for bad things to happen.

On that note: its pretty rare these drop a valve. Well unless the valve lash is excessive.

So what is the plan?