FZ6n won’t fast idle down.

Raygunzed

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello garage,
I have a worrying mechanical error which is at this time is a mystery to my mechanic concerning my FZ6n 2007 model. The problem is when bike is started, it runs on high idle and will not idle down down when it reaches normal running temperature (41c) has been extensively examined but no fault found. Idling at 2500 rpm is not an ideal as fuel, clutch and handling is affected. I have spent a large amount of money to rectify and have contacted Yamaha Australia to no avail to fix. Bought the bike brand new and I am a 65yr rider who needs to have bike running perfectly 10,000 km on clock. Please any thoughts on fault would be a help to pass on to fix my bike,
cannot find authorised servise centre in Sydney to repair.
,cheers,
raygunzed.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First, verify your throttle is shutting down completely AT THE THROTTLE BODIES (left side, throttle plate)

If a cable is bound up/sticking it can cause the throttle to stay open.

If in doubt, disconnect the cables altogether from the TB.

A failed cable, shown below can keep the throttle from closing fully:

DSCN0075.JPG

Raygunzed

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello garage,
I have a worrying mechanical error which is at this time is a mystery to my mechanic concerning my FZ6n 2007 model. The problem is when bike is started, it runs on high idle and will not idle down down when it reaches normal running temperature (41c) has been extensively examined but no fault found. Idling at 2500 rpm is not an ideal as fuel, clutch and handling is affected. I have spent a large amount of money to rectify and have contacted Yamaha Australia to no avail to fix. Bought the bike brand new and I am a 65yr rider who needs to have bike running perfectly 10,000 km on clock. Please any thoughts on fault would be a help to pass on to fix my bike,
cannot find authorised servise centre in Sydney to repair.
,cheers,
raygunzed.

Raygunzed

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike idles down after continue riding about an hour after reaching 110 degrees with normal idle under 1000 revs, but she's red hot hot by time it reaches it, started happening one morning about 3 years ago when i started bike as per usual, key on wait for pump to take up and still high revving after 41 deg normal idle speed,
Raygunz.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a sensor for idle in the cooling track above the throttle bodies. I’d put my money on a failed sensor.

I also remember many years ago there was a member who had a similar problem. I think the final resolution to his problem was clearing a clogged water jacket in the throttlebody housing.

Last edited:

Raygunzed

Reaction score
Visit site
There is a sensor for idle in the cooling track above the throttle bodies. I’d put my money on a failed sensor.

I also remember many years ago there was a member who had a similar problem. I think the final resolution to his problem was clearing a clogged water jacket in the throttlebody housing.
Hello Gary,
I like your answer because of the swiftness of this error when it started, process of moving house for the last month and currently in lockdown in Sydney so will have to wait to report back to service centre.
thanks.