Complicated Power Commander III USB issues

cca310

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been trying to do some research on my issues for a few days now. Unfortunately, not only have I not been able to find a solution, I have not been able to find anyone who has had my exact issue.

A quick background. I decided to purchase a Power Commander II USB for my 2008 FZ6. I purchased it used and stated to be in working order. I installed it and my bike now my bike idles very poorly. I decided to update the firmware and flash the zero map. To my understanding, the zero map should run exactly like stock, but this is not the case. Idle is jumping around and bogging at ~ 900 RPM.

While plugged into my computer, the Power Commander is is reporting wildly inaccurate RPM at idle. It states the bike is idling anywhere between 1000 - 26000 RPM. The TPS is also jumping around a lot, roughly 200 units in the program Obviously something is wrong here, but I'm just not sure what. I did a some research and really could not find much on my issue. I was thinking it could be a grounding issue causing the Power Commander the act wacky. Out of curiosity, I decided to completely unplug the Power Commander ground and guess what? It's idle just like stock. I decided to ride it around my neighborhood and warm it up. As I rolled onto my street, the bike started to stutter and was jerky. I plugged it into my computer and it shows that there is an occasional hitch in the readings causing the issues with my bike, but the bike is running so much better. I looked at the FAQ on Dynojet's website. They state that some people experience "jumping TPS" (which I do), and they have a fix for it. Here is a picture: Link I'll get to why I am apprehensive to do this.

I decided that I had done enough troubleshooting myself and I emailed Dynojet for some assistance. They said that "The Throttle Position calibration should not effect the RPM input in any way." So I am not sure I want to cut into the wiring harness if I am going to return the item if it's faulty (eBay money back guarantee). I was told that the bike shouldn't run without the Power Commander ground connected and they do not know why this would be happening. I sent over some pictures with a little more information and they suspect "there is a hardware problem", which I'm assuming is with the Power Commander and not my bike. I am still thinking it is a grounding issue, but I am not certain at this point.

If anyone has any knowledge on my issue, I'm very interested in hearing it.
(I apologize about this big chunk of text I posted and if the formatting isn't quite right)

Attachments

• yns0t09[1].jpg
    yns0t09[1].jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to our family!

Technology for today's machines has changed drastically. Most of our descriptions are very simple compared to the complexity of how something will actually work. Anything from dirty plugs and oxidation on pins to crosstalk between sensor paths can interfere with proper operation of sensors and controls. A TPS can be bad to begin with. If you've tested the bike without the PCll and it runs correctly and after you install the "Zero Map", I would suspect the PCll. I didn't know that unit was still around. Is that the K&N Power Commander ll? I know the title says PC lll but you referenced PC ll...

Is the unit compatible with the FZ6? You may have to go through that modification to find out whether it will work correctly.

Last edited: