Gas Gauge Stopped Working after Dent

zildjiany

Reaction score
Visit site
I was removing my Fuzzy from the shed when it pinched my leg and unfortunately I had no choice but to allow it to lay over on the door frame. All the damage that I could visibly see was a tall dent on the back left quarter of the gas tank. This is the first damage to my bike since I've had it brand new. I figured well I'll just have to keep my tank bag further back than usual to cover it up. Well this morning it occured to me I've been putting mega-miles on 1 tank and the gas gauge doesn't seem to budge at 4 bars. My tripometer said 205 miles!!!!! The most I've ever put on a single tank. I immediately knew my new dent was more than just a dent..... Any idea how to fix this without replacing the tank?!?!!?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is possible the leads under the tank may have come loose. I'd check that first.. One set for the pump, one set for the gauge.

You can have a body work guy use a suction device from the outside and pull the dent out from the outside.

Or:

You'll have to empty the tank and remove it from the bike. There's a float/float arm in there attached to the fuel pump. I suspect its jamped up against the inside of the tank. It is tricky removing the pump from the tank (there are several threads here on how to remove it). Either beat the tank back out from the inside and allow the float to become unstuck. You may be able to bend the arm in just enough to clear the dented part of the tank.

Good luck.