Gas Smell

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just put the SCORPION SLIP-ONS, and i am very happy. The sound is LOUD and the look is nice. It's been about a week now and i am not sure if it's me or the bike, BUT, i notice a very strong smeel of gas. I did the airbox mod and opened it up a little more. I emailed scorpion and they said that i wont have to remap or get a a PC. They know more then me. I also read post from everyone, and it might be me. I just smells strong. The only way to be sure is to check the plugs. Anyone have any pointers or hints, i would be greatfull!!!!

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, thats a hard question to answer for me atleast. When i start the bike and let it warm up, the exhaust smell is a strong gas smell. It does'nt smell like gas when you are filling your tank gas, or a bad burnt gas smell. I hope this makes sence. Agian, it might be me and i hope so. I wont know till i check the plugs i guess.
thanks 4 the help Steve

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike may have overcompensated for the pipes and now is running rich. Is it popping or back firing on deceleration? Does it stumble at low RPM's? Are the plugs looking funny or wet? Does it idle high or rough? Is it running warmer or cooler than normal? Is the exhaust visible, and what color? Did you pinch any fuel lines when you did the airbox mod?

This can be diagnosed with a little more info.

Let us know and good luck.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there is no popping or back firing, no stunble, i will look at the plugs tomorrow. The idle is fine and the temp is the same. as far as the exhaust, no visible fumes or colors just a smell of rich gas. the fuel lines are all good. I guess when i pull the plugs that will tell me more. The only things that changed since doing the exhaust are, faster, louder, better gas miles, the bike runs perfect, the only thing is that smell. I will bring it to the dealer on Monday for the 8,000 mile service and see what they say. Thanks a bunch for all the help guys :Sport: :Sport:

S

sportrider

try disconnecting the battery so the computer will reset. I've heard it recommended after doing any mod that will effect the air/fuel ratio. I can't confirm it but its free to do so may as well try it.

W

wrightme43

try disconnecting the battery so the computer will reset. I've heard it recommended after doing any mod that will effect the air/fuel ratio. I can't confirm it but its free to do so may as well try it.

+1 let it sit for 1/2 hour or so disconnected.

W

wrightme43

How many miles are on the bike? Mine needed plugs just after just 8000 miles. It wouldnt run at all though. I would use the stock call out plug. CR9EK NJK. I know in the ninja engine, if you let the autoparts store swap to champion plugs that cross reference they would break and destroy valves. There was something wrong with the cross reference.
Dont waste money on majic 15 electrode plugs. Especially especially dont buy anything made by Bosch. I have seen more of their plugs fall apart than any other brand, buy like 10 to one