Starting issue

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We have heard reports of corrosion making its way to the fuel rail and causing issues. What was the condition inside the tank when you replaced the pump?

Also, just because the pump is moving fuel doesn’t mean that it can maintain flow under pressure.

Last edited:

patty1104

Reaction score
Visit site
The tank was rooted. Rust galore from sitting around for the 3 years before I got it. The pump worked fine beforehand but I did a refurb and rust treatment on the tank so did a pump kit while I was in there. Next step can be pulling off the rail and cleaning it out in case anything made it's way that far. Definitely going to be making a soft fuel line with an inline filter between the tank and rail

patty1104

Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely not saying that isn't the case but would it really cause it to instantly stall just by using any of the other controls. Instead of just misfiring or bogging down?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good image Scott. Yes, item 31 is the fuel rail. If rust makes its way past the in-tank fuel filter it can get impacted into the fuel rail. This restricts flow. You may be able start the bike, but the limited flow quickly results in fuel starvation. Do you notice the rpms increasing just before the engine quits?

patty1104

Reaction score
Visit site
Sent it into the shop because I was limited with what else I could do. Ran perfectly fine on starting fluid. Turns out the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator was stuck open so couldn't maintain fuel pressure. Was removed and put in an ultrasonic cleaner a bunch of times. Afterwards, runs amazing again. All of that and something so simple. I hope this thread helps others with saving time to get it sorted

patty1104

Reaction score
Visit site
It's not the mushroom on the rail its part of the sender unit. Another easy to tell is that if the fuel line is disconnected it will have constant fuel flow due to being stuck open not just a dribble like standard.
Regulator circled in pic

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 4