Gearbox whine...

Dougie

Reaction score
Visit site
More a niggle than a worry.....
My 2009 Fazer 600 has a fairly audible whine,more noticable when off the throttle than on,its only covered 5k miles and had an easy life,any others experience this??:eyebrow:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on what Chevy stated, might also be rear wheel alignment. Most likely chain tension though.
Nelly

Downs

Touring Jarhead
Reaction score
Visit site
As stated above check tension of chain.

Mines adjusted properly and lubed with a Scottoiler and aligned and i still get whine. Which i believe is coming from the gearbox anyway.
I got used to gearbox whine long ago. So if that stuff doesn't fix it don't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
More a niggle than a worry.....
My 2009 Fazer 600 has a fairly audible whine,more noticable when off the throttle than on,its only covered 5k miles and had an easy life,any others experience this??:eyebrow:

+1 on the above posts.

Something else to check, if the front sprocket is excessivly worn (notches in the plastic part of the sprocket) and the chain tends to tighten and loosen while spinning by hand (bike off and on the centerstand), you may need a new chain/sprockets. My old front sprocket was worn pretty bad (same symptoms above) and once replaced, quiet as a mouse...

Besides taking it easy on the bike, the chain should be lubed at least every 500 miles, more so if ridden in the rain. I usually clean and lube my chain within 200 miles..

When checking the adjustment of the chain, make sure your at the taughtest part of the chain when taking the actual measurements.. It does make a difference..