Gearing up for the buy: Final Prep

jdough7

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've found the bike I want, and I've come to the determination that I want to make move on it. Only things left to do are:

Finalize the loan with the bank
Finalize the insurance
Run the VIN to check for any blemishes
Perform a thorough inspection as per Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

Am I forgetting anything?

Last edited:
Get some protective gear (if you don't have it already), buy a camera, and forget about any other aspect of your life getting any of your discretionary funds...

Seriously, sounds as if you're buying used but are being smart about it. Looking forward to seeing your new bike.

That pretty much sums up what I did. mstewar1 brings up a good point: get some gear. All I had when I got mine was a helmet and I wish I had the gear I have now. A rock to the arm doesn't hurt nearly as bad in a leather jacket as it does in a ski jacket...

Got a good Joe Rocket jacket and HJC Helmet. Probably replace with another that matches the bike eventually, check out the riding gear thread. Used to ride a Vulcan 750 so i'm not a virgin. Thanks tho.

Jdough,
The fz6 is a pretty reliable bike. Besides the throttle position sensor that was factory recalled on the '04/'05 model, there's not a lot to watch out for. You don't mention the year of the bike you're looking at buying. If it's one of those years, you might ask if that service has been done.

So, again, what you're doing as far as checking into the bike's history and giving it a good checklist-assisted going-over is about all that there is to do.

Look for the tell-tale signs of the bike having been down -- scrapes on the bits that'd touch the ground, that kind of thing. Take a look at the tires -- does it look like it's been ridden by a squid who likes to do burnouts?

Glad to hear that you've got some gear. Be sure to leave a little in your budget for pants and boots, too.

See you around...

Back