FZ6 buying experience - it could happen to you!

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everybody,

As promised here is complete purchasing experience. To express my feelings at the times I would have to use a lot of "French" but Admin probably wouldn't allow it so we'll stick to nice words only.

Greatly influenced by members of this forum my son Igor and I decided to buy FZ6. Best price we got here in Mississauga was from Envy Riders, 9500-9600 dollars. Thanks to the forum we knew that good US price is in range of 6500 dollars. USD and CAD are about at par so we decided to take things in our own hands and do it ourselves. It turns out to be we got much more than we were bargained for.

Initial idea was to buy bike in the crate, load it into our mini van and bring it home. None of the dealers wouldn't do it so we ended up transporting it over. Went to Yamaha site and found bunch of dealers around Buffalo. Called one by one and found out that price is dropping as you go more out of the town. So we found our bike at Pioneer Motorsport in Chaffee, small place about 50 km south of Buffalo. Nice dealership though, nice selection of bikes. Spoke to Rick at 716-496-6000 and we cut the chase and got OTD for 6599. We paid 500 bucks using credit card immediately and selected cobalt blue color. They had black one in stock and it took them 3 weeks to get the other one. We didn't care much since bad weather was persistent. In the meantime I found insurance, 1011 dollars. All they wanted was VIN and model. I faxed them Invoice, sent a check and got my insurance faxed.

Since I don't have friend with pickup or trailer and U-Haul would not rent a van for across the border trip (full size van called cube van you can take anywhere) I decided to drive the bike. I asked for temporary plate at my local licensing office and they said I have to totally import bike and then they'll give me the plate. I decided that minor thing like that will not stop me so we proceeded. I asked dealer to get me temporary license plate valid for day or two so we can drive bike to the border.

Knowing about 3 days lead time on Wednesday, well before pickup I faxed letter and Invoice to US border office at Lewiston Bridge near Niagara Falls. So we were ready. Finally came the day for pickup.

SATURDAY, day 1 (April, 26):

Nice sunny day.We woke up at 6:40 AM and after easy drive to Chaffee we were in front of the dealership at 8:55. it is about 200 km from Toronto. Bike was ready. I paid balance by cash and asked for Recall Clearance letter. They wrote me a 2 letters. One they wrote themselves on their letterhead and second one they printed of Yamaha dealer's WEB site. Both letters saying that there is no recalls on FZ6.
No plate though. Rick said that they didn't have situation like this and didn't know how to handle it. They expected us to show up with truck or something. In 30 minutes all together I dressed up and we went on our way. Slow ride, observing all speed limits, enjoying new bike, my son following closely in car, just picture perfect.

We passed by Buffalo and we were about 8-10 km from border on the highway 190. I am at 60-65 MPH (speed limit!) and there is kind of line behind me. Suddenly big dark pickup drives in parallel, maybe few meters behind me for about minute. Unphased I am holding my slow speed and than truck turns on red and blue lights. Police! I slow down and stop immediately. Police truck stops behind me and my son behind him. We all get out and policeman yells at my son: "You there! Stay where you are and don't move!". He also grabs handle of his gun. I approach and start explaining what we are doing. Policeman kind of cools down, leaves his handgun alone and after that my son approached with folder full of papers. Now we are having normal conversation. He looks at the insurance and title and looks VIN at the bike. I was afraid that papers will go flying across the highway in strong wind. Everything checks out. Another police cruiser stops and they talk for a minute. It looks like he was just passing by and stopped to help officer. I can't tell if first officer called him.
Policeman says that he wanted to check why there is slow moving vehicle (??, I was at speed limit) and than he decided to ticket my son for following too closely. Now everything is explained in different view.
Anyway, he said that he would expect us to have temporary plate from dealer and was surprised when I told him that we couldn't get it. He says to proceed to the border which was only 5-8 minutes away from there anyway.
So we come at the border, park vehicles and there comes offices with standard "May I help you?".
I explain that we are exporting the bike and looking for the office. He says: Not today or tomorrow, office works from Monday to Friday 8 to 4!"

I felt like somebody hit me with a shovel, WTF, WEB site says 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. He goes, " You didn't read it right, not export office. Now you have to move from here".
So we moved to smaller parking lot. Standing around scratching our heads. What to do now? We are stranded on US side with new bike and can't do anything before Monday 8 AM. I am looking around and see nice big building on the right at the border. I thought, it's probably motel, we'll stay there or pay them to garage the bike for 2 days. We started walking towards that place. Building is at distance of some 400 meters. Suddenly new officer emerges from border building. At first it looked like he is going to the car in parking lot but than it is apparent that he wants to talk to us. We stop he comes closer and yells at my son: " You, stop there! What are you doing with your hands!!?" (putting car keys into the pocket).
He grabs the handle of the handgun with his right hand (WTF! for second time in 10 minutes). We freeze. He comes bit closer and I tell him what we are doing and that we are looking to leave the bike because we can't move it across the bridge. He relaxes a bit and still holding his right hand on the gun says that we can't leave the bike anywhere on their parking lots because they'll take it away. He says:
"Take it back to some gas station and pay them to store it for 2 days. That building you see there is not a motel but hospital."
So, we turned around and I started driving back towards the Buffalo. 3-4 km down the road at exit 23 I got out of the highway and now I am driving aimlessly don't even know what I am looking for. Wal Mart, Wallgreens ... passing by, nothing useful.
Suddenly I see Carstar. They repair cars there and it was open. We go to front desk and explain situation. Peter there says that we can leave a bike inside and we'll pay 20 dollars per day when we come back. He says:
"Just come back on Monday as you are saying. Somebody left ATW like that forever here"
I would like to tell him that I would actually rather put bike besides by bed overnight and would not leave it like this otherwise. He understands, he has big Honda cruiser parked right at the entrance. We glance at our prize bike and leave.
Driving back was uneventful, we were down big time, felt like you know what....

MONDAY, day 2 (April 28)

Got up at 6:00AM and after 120km drive stopped in front of the Carstar at 7:30. I paid 60 dollars to Peter and sincerely thanked him for favor. I dress up quickly and 10 minutes after that we were at the border. Export office opens at 8:00AM. I am 4th or 5th in line up. There is about 15 people waiting.
They open office and you have to sign your name on the clipboard and go to waiting room. There they call you on PA. I go back. There is younger female customs officer. I thought,
"Good, I always have easier time dealing with young people". How wrong I was.
She calls my name and I approach the desk giving her title. She asks me:
"When did you fax it?" (voice annoyed, edgy, like something happened or didn't happen last knight and it's purely my fault).
"5 days ago on Wednesday"
" Did you confirm it?"
"??"
"Did you confirm it?
I am wondering how you do that? It is very hard even to fax anything since fax is always busy, let alone phone it. You get voice prompts.
She says, do you have copy of title? I say no. Go get it. Where, everything is locked up? Hopefully Igor saw fax machine in one open small room and we make copy on that machine. I go back to see her. She takes copy and puts date stamp on my original Title. I open mount to ask something like can you still do it today? She snaps:
"See you on Thursday"
"But..."
"Good bye!"

What now? We are in same s... again. It's Monday and we can't do anything until Thursday. We drive back to Carstar to our friend Peter. We leave our baby again. Drive to Toronto uneventful.

THURSDAY, day 3 (May 01)

We are up at 6:00AM again. Sun, quite cold. Show up at Carstar at 7:30, pay another 40 to Peter. This man really helped us. I really don't know what we would do without him. We are at border at 7:50. We park at small parking lot. I undress riding clothes, helmet and gloves. My daughter this time walks across the parking lot behind the truck and I go slowly on the bike, walking speed. I am crossing a road where big tractor trailer was stopped for inspection and officer looking at it. He yells after me:
"Hey you stop!!!"
I freeze.
"What are you doing, where is helmet, where is license plate??!"
Again, I felt like all my ships went down in one stormy night. I start telling about exporting the bike and that all the papers are with my daughter walking around. He cuts me off:
"Get off and push it!"
"Yes officer, thank you officer".
I am pushing it across the parking lot to position below the export office window.
I am first at the door and only one person behind me. Younger male tall officer opens the door at 8:05. We sign up and he says:
"OK, you can stay here since it's only 2 or 3 of you"
He takes my title and asks:
" Where is a vehicle" (you must present it at the time of export).
"Right below your window Sir"
He glances out, walks to computer and enters VIN, turns around and stamps the Title.
"Go, rock it!"
It took about 60 seconds for his actions! That was all. I am out in the heartbeat. Push my bike across back to small parking lot. I dress up and drive across the bridge.
There, nobody in line. Very young officer at the post and somebody else with him probably doing a training. They are in good mood, smiling, looking at the bike (who wouldn't?)
I tell him what I have to declare and he takes notes, price of the bike, when I got it and all that and tells me:
"Just go to that building one the left and somebody will help you"
I go there, park, my daughter is behind me. We enter the place. Difference is like Earth and Mars. Bunch of officers, everybody looks and talks pleasantly, nobody mad here. They hand me clipboard with form. "...please fill it up and hand anyone you see that is free.."

I feel so much relaxed. Huge tension drained out of me. It took me less than 10 minutes there. They sent me to cash counter, I pay GST (tax) and person there says. You can go now and go to RIV office for next step.
Hour and 10 minutes later I was in Toronto. My legs and hands frozen but happy to be home. Left bike in garage and went to RIV office. 2 people in front of me. One importing 13 cars and second one 10 cars. Quiet, relaxed atmosphere. Nobody is mad about anyone. Lady at counter took my papers and I paid 205 dollars for RIV. Few minutes later she calls my name:
"Your Recall letter is no good"
It turned out that they didn't like letter hand typed saying that my bike is not under recall. Hopefully I had the other one, printout from Yamaha site. She glances at it.
"Ha, this is what we are looking for!"

5 minutes after that I am on my way. Went home, picked up the bike and next step is Canadian Tire to see that bike complies to Canadian regulations (daytime running lights, KM speedo). Nobody yelled at me there either. 20 minutes later they call me on PA and said that everything is OK and there is nothing to pay (??). They already faxed papers to registration office but I can go there only tomorrow. They kind of need 24 hours to enter it into the system.

FRIDAY, day four (May 02)

Few hours ago both of us went to reg office. Got our plate and had unexpected expense, 532 dollars for PST (provincial tax). I am clinching my new plate and asking:
"Madam, why do we have to pay PST? We bought bike in USA not here"
"What do you think that they would like everyone just to go across the border and pay less than here?!" She is in good mood happy to entertain us.
So we went home. I will still investigate about this and try to get my money back (good luck fighting with tax office!).
Plate is on the bike and we already took turns driving it. As soon as I finish this we'll go to parking lot do some training.
So to put everything into perspective I am listing expenses and adding FF (fun factor, 1 for very hard and 10 for very easy:

* buying experience - 6599 - FF = 9
* going to border first time - FF = 7
* at the border - FF = 1
* storage at Carstar - 60 - FF = 10
* second try at border -FF = 1
* storage at Carstar - 40 - FF = 10
* at the border parking lot - FF = 1
* at the export office - FF = 9
* at Canadian Border - 333 for GST - FF = 10
* at RIV office - 205 - FF = 9
* at Canadian Tire - 0 expense - FF = 10
* at the registration office - 532 - FF = 9

Total money expended: 7769.00 (should be -100 with no storage fees).
Total savings: 1831.00
How do we like the bike: it's everything you people said it is going to be!
What we don't like: it is very hard to put it on center stand

Savings paid for all our equipment (helmets, gloves, jackets, boots and M2 courses).

Now I'll include 2 pictures and post this into General section and Canada - Ontario section. You can ask me whatever you want, hope I'll help somebody else.

Best regards, happy owners of the FZ6
Zack & Igor

W

wrightme43

LOL If it makes you feel any better most Americans cant stand dealing with govermental employees either. For the most part its consistent for everyone. LOL

Glad you got your bike, it looks really nice.

Trick for the center stand.

Aproach bike from the left with handle bar/wheel to the left. Grab left handle bar with left hand, grab left grab handle with right hand. Place right foot on the center stand foot pad. Push center stand to contact with the ground. Stand on the pad while pulling the bike to you with the handle bar and up on the grab bar. The bike will have to move backwards a little. It will go right up. Its easy once you learn how.

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
Zack ! Your face in the picture explains all the trouble you went through :D

as i listed the things to do to import on an earlier thread,,you should have a lot of spare time to deal with these things...
the story is a perfect example of things that could go wrong during the process...i would have never ever even planned to try to ride a not registered bike on a different country!! that was a mistake but it is good that the officer let you go...

you did good on getting all your paperwork completed and faxed in advance to US Customs...that part is the part where usually people fail to do...
when your paperwork is all good,,US part of this process should have only taken 5 minutes....never ever talk unnecessary stuff with customs officer :) that young female officer used all her limits of keeping your paperwork for 48 hours just because she got up from the wrong side of her bed in the morning...

canadian side is supposed to take more time,,,just like you experienced....
it doesnt matter where you buy your bike from,,,you have to pay pst at the license bureau to get it registered...and of course you have to pay gst at the border...so there is nothing wrong with the taxes...

congratulations,,,a lot of headache but you saved a lot of money....to be honest,,,i live 2 minutes from detroit but i didnt have the courage to do that!
i hope you enjoy your bike from now on!!
good days are ahead of you!

:Sport: :Sport: :Sport:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
What an experience... the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Services is just as just as bad. If the employes at the Motor Vehicles had guns they would shoot customers for not having all 6 points of ID!!!

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, we are back. Went to ride a bit but rain cut it short. Hopefully weather will be better tomorrow.
Thanks for tips how to raise it onto the center stand. We kind of still don't handle on that part.
As for the story that is how it happened. I actually posted it to the GENERAL form first but somebody removed it. Pity, many more people would see it there, rather than here on the bottom of the forum. I have to ask Admin (who is that) to re-post it.
Zack

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for comments. I hope Admin will post it under General section so more people can see it.

Also, I'll try hints for center stand.

Yes, we made mistakes and I am very glad that first officer let us go. We had all paperwork and insurance right. Later at the border I saw two cars with no plates going along and nobody was excited about that. One gentleman bought nice, big american car on eBay and was very happy with purchase.

Tolgatt, as for PST I am sure that things are wrong. PST is Provincial Sales Tax (every state in USA probably has something in that respect). I am selling security equipment myself and know for fact that nobody ordering from any other province (let alone USA or World) has to pay PST (8% in Ontario). When person from British Columbia orders something here he pays GST (Goods and Services Tax, 5%) only. Normally, somebody from NY doesn't pay any taxes to us, period.
My purchase was in State of New York, not in Ontario. Why would I have to pay PST? It doesn't make sense.

Zack

tolgatt

Goodfella
Reaction score
Visit site
My purchase was in State of New York, not in Ontario. Why would I have to pay PST? It doesn't make sense.

Zack

it definitely doesnt make sense but this is not an item,it is a vehicle..and unfortunately we have to pay PST at the time of registry,,,when we buy a vehicle from a dealership we pay GST+PST but if it is a private sale,we give the owner what he asks and pay PST only at the licence bureau...thats the system,,,
you probably have paid NY taxes too ,but that has nothing to do for Canada,,,and they for sure want their taxes!

sad but true

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
RE: Center stand - You actually don't need to pull as much as you need to "Stand" on the pad for the stand. Once you touch it to the ground, hold the left grip and the rear grab rail then put all your weight on the stand and the bike will put itself up on the stand.

Good story and glad to hear you finally made it back with the bike!

rottenkid

Reaction score
Visit site
Zak, Great story. I wish somehow we could have come in contact. I live in Tonawanda (just north of Buffalo, 15 min. from the border). You could have left the bike here for free. I have a blue 07, I bought it from Bob Weaver motorsports on niagara falls Blvd. If you're ever in need of assistance in the area, let me know.
John

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
John, thanks for offer. To tell you honestly we both like the FZ6 so much that maybe that sharing thing will not work out. Should buy 2 immediately.
I was looking for 07 first but they are gone by now.

FZ6inNH, I'll try your center stand system as well. Practice will help.

Zack

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great story Zack, thanks for sharing. At the end of the day I'm glad you are safe and sound with the new fizzer.

And another centerstand tip: the dealer told me the most important thing you need to do is commit to getting it up on there. It'll get there! It will become easy for you.

Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great story Zack, thanks for sharing. At the end of the day I'm glad you are safe and sound with the new fizzer.

And another centerstand tip: the dealer told me the most important thing you need to do is commit to getting it up on there. It'll get there! It will become easy for you.

+1 I weigh 130lbs and routinely put my bike onto the centerstand with no problem when gassing up or performing maintenance. It's one smooth motion after you have both stand legs on the ground: Step down with all your weight onto the center stand lever and at the same time pull up on the handlebar and grab handle. When you do all of the above in one smooth motion the bike will end up on the stand no problem. Let me know if you still need help and I can make a video for you....

Travis

H

HavBlue

I could see a duty fee and registration taxes for getting the bike into Canada but a sales tax to me would be beyond reason as there was "no sale" in Canada.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
John, thanks for offer. To tell you honestly we both like the FZ6 so much that maybe that sharing thing will not work out. Should buy 2 immediately.
I was looking for 07 first but they are gone by now.

FZ6inNH, I'll try your center stand system as well. Practice will help.

Zack
I can put a Gold Wing up on a centre stand just as easy as an FZ6. It's all about leverage. Your right hand has very little lifting to do, it's your foot and weight that does the work. Put all your weight on your right foot and a simple tug with your right hand is all that's needed.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I could see a duty fee and registration taxes for getting the bike into Canada but a sales tax to me would be beyond reason as there was "no sale" in Canada.

HavBlue beats me and common sense big time! That was one of the points why we did it in the first place. I will definitely investigate this issue further. I am merchant myself and we are not charging non-applicable taxes to prospect buyers, period.
Thank you everyone for input in regards to center stand. I am 85kg (185lbs) and have problem with it. I'm thinking, there is no way women or smaller built man could put bike on the center stand.
Why I am insisting on center stand? Driveway in front of my garage is sloped, not much. Few years ago Ninja 500 fell from side stand because arm sunk into hot ashfalt and retracted. Bike folded onto left side and got scratched turn signal and pipe.

Zack

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I am over 60 years old and weigh 175 pounds packed into a 5'8" frame....getting my FZ6 onto the centre stand is as easy as putting on my helmet (once I figure out where the front is...:p)
The trick is to make the weight of the bike work for you. Grasp the handlebar grip with your left hand, and the left passenger grab handle with your right hand. Once you've got the centre stand down and touching the floor, make sure that both 'feet' of the stand are contacting the ground. Then put your entire weight on the stand's foot extension while 'rolling' the bike backwards. The stand is designed to "roll" the weight up and back without a lot of input from the lifter.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Wait, go back to US, bureaucrat made mistake (sick joke). Re the center stand, yeah, you need to find the "touch." After that it will go on center almost by itself. Make sure you place right foot on center stand round foot pad and you barely have to pull bike up or back. It will go upwards on its own (acts almost like a horse) and set easily.