Gimped for a first month of a 3 month riding season

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sure you ride before now and after september, but average temps are around +5 to +8 celcius when not below freezing in mornings and evenings.

well, how do i start off the riding season?

my football team entered a tournament for a cash prize instead of the non-competitive side of the tourney like they usually do. so, our division 3 team was pitted against division 1 teams, some of them having CFL players playing in the off-season, and some having starting squad members from universities, etc.

now, we're one of the best teams in div 3 as our team won that div last year, but these guys in div make us look like amateurs. to say they are well-drilled is an understatement.

so our rag-tag militia went to work over the weekend against these legions of battle-hardened centurions. the highlight of the weekend was a 36-14 loss to the best team in division 1. they had not been scored on the ENTIRE season last year by any teams except ours who put up a single TD in an exhibition game. and the same went for this tourney. they walloped some division 1 teams over 50-zip.

Their defense was fierce. the reason we have such pride in our performance was 2 critical errors gave them 14 of their points with turnovers for touchdowns. short of that we were very much in the game. our 14 points came off drives down the entire length of the field, picking up every first down the whole way down the field.

so, what we lacked this weekend in manpower and experience, we made up for with grit and determination. it was a weekend with temperatures around freezing, rain, mud, and a whole lot of digging down deep.

well, the last day of the tournament, 8th offensive play of the first game, I hear a crunch and my leg buckles. i go down like a sack of potatoes, face down in the mud, teeth clenched, aggonized as much by the pain in the knee im clutching as i am by the realization that ive just gone and ****ed over my squad mates for the season which is about to start.

they need me on their offensive line, and i know this. i spend the rest of the game on the sideline on my back watching with a deep sense of frustration as their defensive line picks up sack after sack and my quarterback gets dropped time and time again.

i know this sounds melodramatic but it seriously was like watching your friends walk into machine gun fire. maybe thats just because ive been watching so much band of brothers lately, i dunno.

anyway, im out for at least a month based on my own estimate. this will be the 2nd time ive had torn ligaments in this knee, but it feels half as bad as last time so im hoping it takes half the time to heal.

and all day today i was supposed to install some of my mods and just tear the bike apart and relube and clean the snot out of everything so all id have to do would be to take it to a shop and get the new sprockets and chain put in. instead i laid on my ass or hobbled around the house on crutches.

So, June 2010...wish I could have gotten to know you better....

Last edited:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Man that just sucks. I hope you heal really, really fast. My thoughts are with you, get better soon. :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Smokes Lone! Hope you get better soon! I'm still a bit gimpy but I feel like I'll be 100% soon. Ice time right?!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy Smokes Lone! Hope you get better soon! I'm still a bit gimpy but I feel like I'll be 100% soon. Ice time right?!

whats happened in ur case?

and if i could move to australia, believe me i would. i really and truly would.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
whats happened in ur case?

and if i could move to australia, believe me i would. i really and truly would.

Long story short. I crashed the R1. Lost the front in a tight turn. Took it to the dirt front went into soft sandy ditch and endo'd the bike. Hurt my ribs. Plastics busted, whole top of the bike scratched,tail section,tank, bent sub frame. Bike rode excellent on the way home. In the shop being fixed. I'm feeling much better now and ready to ride! Had all the gear on but didn't really need abrasion protection as much as impact protection and that worked great!

I'd like to visit our buds down under. It'd be a trip to kick it with all the gang there!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's madness! Poor ole R1. What, Wavex isn't here to plant the streetfighter seed?

That man's planted more seeds than a watermelon farmer, lol.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks hard mate heal fast , if only i was closer im sure i could make a great OT :thumbup:.... Well thats where i'd like to play anyways :D Go Packers !!!! :rof: Ohh dear & the season hasnt even started yet ;)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's madness! Poor ole R1. What, Wavex isn't here to plant the streetfighter seed?

That man's planted more seeds than a watermelon farmer, lol.

I don't know about the older generation R1 but the new generation R1 looks a bit more complex to make naked. Don't think it didn't cross my mind though and You can bet it would be an impressive combo especially with the crossplane motor.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah no doubt, that would look and sound so vicious. it would eat other streetfighters like a tyrannasaurus rex eats frightened babies.

sonic

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds about like my year. I high sided at the 3rd race of the year during morning practice and ended up needing surgery on my collar bone (which was in 6 pieces and needed a plate) and thumb (severe case of skier's thumb). The surgery wasn't until two weeks after the off and I need another month to allow bones to heal. After that, it is a few weeks of therapy before being active, though i'm positive i'll be riding as soon as the doc says the cast can come off, assuming I don't remove it myself here soon. I was in the hospital during finals week too, so I have finals to make up this week and next week.

My sympathy goes out to you!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds about like my year. I high sided at the 3rd race of the year during morning practice and ended up needing surgery on my collar bone (which was in 6 pieces and needed a plate) and thumb (severe case of skier's thumb). The surgery wasn't until two weeks after the off and I need another month to allow bones to heal. After that, it is a few weeks of therapy before being active, though i'm positive i'll be riding as soon as the doc says the cast can come off, assuming I don't remove it myself here soon. I was in the hospital during finals week too, so I have finals to make up this week and next week.

and mine to you!

yikes

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site

and mine to you!

yikes

I hope you both heal up fine!!!
Good luck on your finals!!