Givi Monorack on FZ6??

CheekyMonkey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, trying not to create a new post re Givi Rack..

Mine arrived today, usual vague instructions from Givi, anyone got any tips on fitting it to my 06 FZ6?

guessing you have this on by now, but I seem to remember it being fairly easy TBH - any specific problems, I can take a look at mine and maybe post a pic

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Cheeky Monkey, the answer to your question is NO!

I have made a couple of attempts to remove the plastics and failed. Basically down to the cross headed screws that go into the frame. If you look at the bike from the side almost directly above the rear wheel spindle. Hope I have explained that right. There is one each side and they seem to hold 2 pieces of plastic each.

Mr Yamaha seems to have tightened them with a 12' extension bar and they are made of a metal slightly harder than doggy doo!. Despite soaking with WD40 one refuses to budge and the cross head now resembles a kids attempt at throwing a pot on a potters wheel!

Next attempt is to cut a slot with a hacksaw and use a large flat screwdriver on it.

I think I now know how to fit the rack, thanks, I just need to get access to the frame to do it!

Unfortunately I am so busy with other things at the moment, and where I park the bike there is no power so I am a bit restricted in my choices.

I will not be beaten by the little b*****d though.

Peter

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Got the little ba*****s out! no damage and they are replaced when fitting the rack so thats ok.

Next challenge... the cross headed screws that hold the heat shield onto the exhaust!

Why do the use cap heads everywhere else but in these 4 places soft crossheads?

I really am not a mechanical numpty having changed car engines etc I just hope i don't have to do too much work on the FZ6 if this is a sign of things to come!

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Got the little ba*****s out! no damage and they are replaced when fitting the rack so thats ok.

Next challenge... the cross headed screws that hold the heat shield onto the exhaust!

Why do the use cap heads everywhere else but in these 4 places soft crossheads?

I really am not a mechanical numpty having changed car engines etc I just hope i don't have to do too much work on the FZ6 if this is a sign of things to come!

I attempted to mount the Givi rack onto my '07 FZ6 and gave up when I got down to the point of removing the tail light assembly to get to the heat shields. I had such a pile of bolts and fasteners that I feared I'd never get it back together. So I reassembled everything, loaded up the Givi hardware, and rode over to the Yamaha dealer and had them install it.

But it's SO worth it! I have the V46 top case and V35 side cases mounted, now, and I think it looks great! So keep after it!

sideview.jpg

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike looked just like Avalon's until yesterday. I put on new cans and they get in the way, as others have mentioned. Ugh. I've really grown accustomed to the convenience of a locking, relatively secure box. Have to say I'm on the fence about keeping the cans. I have a soft tail bag but they just don't compare.

As for the cross-wind shenanigans, I got blown across two lanes of a four lane highway earlier this year. I'm not blaming it directly on the givi but I doubt that its presence helped in the matter.

Maybe you can get different cans? Which ones did you get that dont fit?

Curtis

Reaction score
Visit site
...it's SO worth it! I have the V46 top case and V35 side cases mounted, now, and I think it looks great! So keep after it!

agmom98, I have just done the same setup on my '05 FZ6, and now there is not much room for my wife. There is very little room for her between the trunk (with back pad) and me, and the saddlebags are so close to the rear foot-pegs that she cannot get her boot heel back far enough to rest her instep on the peg. Have you rode with a pillion yet?

I have considered getting a super skinny girlfriend, but for now I'm thinking I need to dump my Givi setup :(

swerve9031

Reaction score
Visit site
Made it !!!! Not having much time other than the odd hour to spend over the past few days I have managed to fit the rack. Now all I have to do is win an auction on ebay for the topbox.

It would have helped if the dog had not chewed the instructions whilst watching me fit the thing but all is now complete and everything tight. Definately the worst part is fitting the brackets over the exhaust, one would not align correctly and needed persuasion. It certainly seems strong and of great quality. I guess a total of 4 hours which would have been a lot less if done in one go and lining up the different parts to fit was a challenge at times.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
I am a female rider and don't ever have a pillion rider (and I doubt any guy would be caught dead riding pillion on my bike anyway ;) )

That pillion space does look mighty small, though, with a topcase on the rear.

samevo8

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the SW-Motech still look low profile once with the Givi/Kappa adapter plate?

Also, the product description mentions "Requires cutting of fairing. " Does anyone know how extensive/difficult this cutting is?

Here are two racks that would work great on the FZ6:

SW-Motech: TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Alu-Rack Toprack (Yamaha FZ6 S2 Fazer, '07-) for Givi, Hepco-Becker, & Krauser topcases - GPT.06.313.100

Buddy of mine got the SW-Motech and loves it lower looking profile, I on the other hand have the Givi version. I would have pick the SW-Motech if it was available then, but unfortunately it wasn't. No matter I still like it.
Good Luck.:thumbup:

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
Does the SW-Motech still look low profile once with the Givi/Kappa adapter plate?

Also, the product description mentions "Requires cutting of fairing. " Does anyone know how extensive/difficult this cutting is?

The adapter does stick up above the metal plate. In most cases you wouldn't ever leave it like that though. Once the topcase is removed there are just three quarter-turn connectors to remove the adapter.

The cutting is pretty minor. You can kind of see in the picture on twisted throttle what needs to be cut, or download the instruction and see the template. It's just two small slots in the black plastic piece that goes over the silver exhaust cover.

samevo8

Reaction score
Visit site
So it doesn't look too bad in regards to the cutting so I went ahead and placed an order w/ Twisted Throttle. Then I got an email stating that the unit is in backorder and estimated ship date is July 24 (2 months!) Called Twisted Throttle, and the guy on the phone estimated early July ship out, which is still about 5 weeks away.

Anyone know other places in the U.S. (eg: dealers) where I can order this?

Thanks.

The adapter does stick up above the metal plate. In most cases you wouldn't ever leave it like that though. Once the topcase is removed there are just three quarter-turn connectors to remove the adapter.

The cutting is pretty minor. You can kind of see in the picture on twisted throttle what needs to be cut, or download the instruction and see the template. It's just two small slots in the black plastic piece that goes over the silver exhaust cover.

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
i didnt get akrapovic exhaust in the end, but my givi rack works on my arrow exhaust, with a little bit of modification.

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
if you have aftermarket exhaust the shad rack is a great option... and very sturdy... i went that route since i have the scorpion exhaust on my bike...