Going Naked

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned an FZ6 for a few years now (it might be 4 years?). I bought it from a friend of my son to help him out. I've done some mods to it such as RaceTech Emulators in the forks, a Two Bros exhaust and a gel seat. But of the four bikes I own, this bike gets ridden very little - maybe 200 miles a year - which is a shame because it's a nice bike. Two of my other bikes (cafe racer and street tracker, both customs) are "naked" in that they don't have a fairing or a wind screen. I was riding the FZ a week or so ago and needed to stretch my legs. As I stood up I was amazed at how quiet and smooth everything got. In that moment I realized that it was the wind buffeting and noise that keeps me from riding this bike.

So this winter the front fairing is coming off this bike and it will be replaced with a 7" round headlight. I do have a few questions to support this project.

- The bike is an '05, so it has the round digital instrument cluster. I see on eBay that there is a cover and bracket available for about $20. What is the general consensus of this plastic cover? Does the incorporated bracket put the instrument cluster at a good angle? Is there a better way to go? I wouldn't mind installing an aftermarket cluster (like an Acewell unit), but I'd rather not lose the fault/error code readout.

- I know that many swap out the bars for FZ1 flat bars, but I do like the sit-up-n-beg riding position of the FZ6. The OEM bars that are on the bike now look a bit beat to me so I'm going to either update them with Renthal bars or a used, but in perfect shape, OEM bar. For those that keep the profile of the OEM bars, what profile is usually used?

- I'm planning on using bar-mount mirror mounts from Bikemaster because they are only $7 each - but is there a better alternative? I'm not apposed to getting a clutch perch with a mount built in...and it looks like the brake-master assembly could be tapped for a 8mm mirror mount. What is typically done during the naked conversion?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finishing up my naked conversion. I was originally going to use a 7" round headlight, but I had a EMGO 66-64313 Dual 4" Headlight assembly on my DRZ Street Tracker that looked out of place and I have decided to use the dual setup on the FZ6 and put the 7" round on the DRZ. My plan is to wire each light to work as both a low beam and a high beam so the bike doesn't always appear to have one light out.

I was able to purchase a nice set of bar end mirrors from swedespeed and LeaN69 was kind enough to sell me an instrument cluster bracket. I also did get the instrument rear cover on eBay. I waited 6 weeks for it to arrive from China, but it is a perfect fit (a good use of $20).

I'll get some photos up when it's all put together. I also have a damn-near perfect front fairing for sale that I'll post in the for-sale section.

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question for those of you that have used LeoN69's S1 bracket AND a rear cover. LeoN69 wasn't sure of the answer and suggested that I ask forum members.

Please see the attached photos. If I'm assembling this correctly, it appears that the two screws that secure the upper part of the bracket get inserted from the inside (see the photo with the screwdriver). The gauge cluster cover also uses those screw locations, but the screws get inserted from the outside (as they would in the OEM fairing). Is the answer to use longer screws inserted from the inside and then secure the cover with a nut?

IMG_3261.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

IMG_3264.jpg