GoPro'd my BRC

thatguymike

Reaction score
Visit site
First off... We passed! Woohoo

Playlist of the videos:

MAY BRC05: MAY BRC05 - YouTube

Anyway this past Friday I went and purchased a GP3+ BE for the course on the 3-4th, and I also plan to get into moto vlogging once a get a bike. I'm glad I purchased it, I was able to see the things I did wrong, and its just fun to watch lol.

I enjoyed the course in its entirety. Our RC Mike made it very easy to understand what needed to be done and how to make it happen.

Here's the class (I'm the tall black guy lol.)
6eryjapa.jpg

During the first day I had a lowside =[. I started the offset weave on the wrong side, and the panicked and grabbed the front brake while weaving. Here's the video of it

'The Low Side' Day 1: http://youtu.be/wAM-oP4Ip28

Then on the second day before the eval, my girlfriend dumped her bike. She banged her knee up and it turns out she fractured her ankle (found out about the fracture yesterday )
6y9adasa.jpg

My reaction to her fall
"Oh ****" Day 2: http://youtu.be/GwPGuDzKwpA

She's a real trooper and decided to hop back on to finish the course.
y2yhe6a9.jpg

So we finished the course and she's in a compression boot for a few weeks. But she plans to still get a bike! She just wants to invest in premium riding boots beforehand.

There's a lot more for us to learn and I plan on doing many exercises in parking lots once I get my hands on an FZ6!

Sorry if I rambled a bit, I'm at work and wanted to get this post up.

Oh yea the 'superview' on the GP3+ creates a fishbowl effect. You can see it in the edges and sometimes the center.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome!! Congrats to you both on passing the course! Sorry you had few incidents and really sorry your girl got hurt :(

Looking forward to watching the vids (blocked here at work).

Ask as many questions here as come to mind (anything you forgot to ask in BRC.. or whatever else). You have good attitude and you're taking the right approach about learning.. keep it up :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats and thanks for posting.

Sounds like the RC's were pretty busy filling out the incident reports. Weren't you glad it was on their bikes and not yours? I always stressed to my students not to underestimate the importance of the clutch control lanes, it comes back to haunt a lot of riders who do not work on improving their slow speed skills combining clutch and throttle, as it will be required for later exercises.

Last edited:

thatguymike

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!!! Yea I plan on asking questions, once I'm actually riding lol. And I'm beyond happy it was on the school's bikes lol. The seat on the TW just came flying off haha.

I do need to work on clutch control, using it instead of brakes helped with the box uturn a lot.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!!! Yea I plan on asking questions, once I'm actually riding lol. And I'm beyond happy it was on the school's bikes lol. The seat on the TW just came flying off haha.

I do need to work on clutch control, using it instead of brakes helped with the box uturn a lot.

When you get your FZ6 you'll learn the key to managing your speed in low speed maneuvers, like the U-turn box, on this bike is to lightly ride the rear brake. The FZ6 is known for its narrow clutch friction zone and sensitive throttle.

Thanks for sharing your BRC experiences!

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
When you get your FZ6 you'll learn the key to managing your speed in low speed maneuvers, like the U-turn box, on this bike is to lightly ride the rear brake. The FZ6 is known for its narrow clutch friction zone and sensitive throttle.

Thanks for sharing your BRC experiences!

I actually took that MSF low speed course -- the Basic Bike Bonding class -- on my FZ6. I also took it on a loaner CBR250 the first time.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, LOL on the seat. Of all the crashes I have witnessed, I've never seen a seat come off. I was laughing when I saw that portion of the video.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. What did the rider coach say after the front brake grab? You edited out that bit! :D

With that I think you'll have no trouble respecting the front brakes of the FZ6 when you get one. They are every bit as powerful as they look.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great vids, man! I'm shocked they keep mirrors on bikes. We pull them off before students ever get on them.

thatguymike

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, LOL on the seat. Of all the crashes I have witnessed, I've never seen a seat come off. I was laughing when I saw that portion of the video.

LMAO. Yea that TW has seen better days for sure.

Thanks for sharing. What did the rider coach say after the front brake grab? You edited out that bit! :D

With that I think you'll have no trouble respecting the front brakes of the FZ6 when you get one. They are every bit as powerful as they look.

Well after first making sure I was ok lol... he asked if I knew what I did wrong. At first I thought it was definitely from me releasing the clutch and blipping the throttle. The friction zone and where the clutch fully engages was weird to grasp on the Yamaha. It seemed to catch right at the very end of full release. Very different from the Kawi I started on that morning (Kawi was a tight fit for me lol). He explained how I grabbed the front brake while not having the bars squared.

Anyway in the vid right before the fall, I make an 'ahh' sound lol. At this point I felt myself heading towards him. I guess I let the clutch out too much. Then I panicked and grabbed a fistful of fail lol. Its weird I didn't think I touched the brake until I watched the video that night. The RC loved that I had reviewed it.

Great vids, man! I'm shocked they keep mirrors on bikes. We pull them off before students ever get on them.

Thanks! Haha. A few of them were mirrorless, some had broken ones, some had only one. I lucked out lol.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Same here. But I always explain why the mirrors are missing to the students. If Eric and I were paired up coaching, I would ask my students that in the event of a crash, what would most likely happen to the mirror. They mention that they would break and I would ask them who have to clean up the glass? Some say it would be me, or the rider, but my answer would be Eric:Flip:. They get the point. I love abusing the other coach.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike, were you using second gear all the time? I've had TW's for many years (1987 and 2001 models), and it seemed to me as I watched the movie that you feathered the clutch a good bit to get started, and I never heard you shift gears. One good feature of the TW - for offroad use - is that first gear is very low, a real stump puller. I suspect therefore that you ignored first gear, and were running in second all the time?? That may have affected your control? FWIW, I'm only 5'7" with a 29" pants leg inseam, and the TW fits me perfectly. So it must have been ugly tight for a tall guy like you! Having to ride with your knees virtually against the handlebars couldn't have made it easy to properly control the bike.

thatguymike

Reaction score
Visit site
Mike, were you using second gear all the time? I've had TW's for many years (1987 and 2001 models), and it seemed to me as I watched the movie that you feathered the clutch a good bit to get started, and I never heard you shift gears. One good feature of the TW - for offroad use - is that first gear is very low, a real stump puller. I suspect therefore that you ignored first gear, and were running in second all the time?? That may have affected your control? FWIW, I'm only 5'7" with a 29" pants leg inseam, and the TW fits me perfectly. So it must have been ugly tight for a tall guy like you! Having to ride with your knees virtually against the handlebars couldn't have made it easy to properly control the bike.

Yup. You hit the nail on the head. For the most part I used 2nd gear. I only used 1st for the exercises that required us to shift from first to 2nd at the cones. Like you said 1st is a very low. I know one time used 2nd for the box turn and it worked out pretty well.

The TW was tight, but fun. Much better than the kawi I had earlier that Saturday morning.

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site

We used to take them off, but I think the MSF is recommending leaving them on now. All of our newer bikes have them on .......... at least for a couple of classes ;) . We actually even have a box of spare mirrors.