Got overtaken by a cycle :-o

Fazrrr Girl

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding down Mt. Buffalo, keeping a nice distance from the cycle racers and car ahead, some nutter in lycra overtook me downhill going into a hairpin. I was doing 70km/h, and I guess he was doing 75km/h at least. He was being an idiot but oh, the shame :mad:

hardway

Reaction score
Visit site
I've gone by guys on dirt bikes while riding my dh mountain bike, but I've never passed a moto while riding my road bike, that's great! He must have been hauling ass!

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, the stories he is posting on a different internet forum right now!

I have caught cars on mountain descents before, and even followed them for a few miles, but I never had the guts (stupidity?) to attempt a pass.

SueMc

Reaction score
Visit site
That's happend to me too! :eek:

My husband and I were on a motorcycle tour through Austria and were riding over the Grossglockner pass. The motorcycles on that pass outnumbered the cars by about 3 to 1, but I couldn't believe how many bicycles there were as well!

As I recall, we were passed by a couple of the bicycles on the way down! However, they have only my admiration for actually pedalling up that climb!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As a rider, It's not just about what's in front of you, but you have to be aware who is behind you, and especially who is coming up behind you fast at all times. You should be prepared to yield to the faster rider, so that you are never startled when he does.

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Cool :rockon:

I've overtaken many cars during descents on my racing cycle, but I can't recall overtaking a motor bike. Last year I did the Mont Ventoux in France, it's the mountain where British rider Tom Simpson died during the Tour de France of 1967. I reached 100 kph there, the north face has a long stretch with a 11% descent and with just a few bends. It ends with a big hairpin though, so you need to slow down there :D The mountain road were also used in car races so there are some really nice bends which are also great fun on you bike or cycle. Actually it helps with cycling if you know how to corner with high speeds as we do on our bikes. The only thing is you don't were protection on your cycle as you do (well I do) on you motor bike.

Also when cycling on my mountainbike on the Island of Mallorca I've overtaken many racing bikes. The mountainbike has nice disc brakes that allowed me to brake much later.

Yep I love riding on two wheels :thumbup:

The Pheasant

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to race bicycles and find the experience of riding a motorcyle a real advantage when it comes to high-speed descending on them. I once overtook two 600cc sportsbikes while descending the top slopes of the Passo Manghen in the Dolomites, which are about 18% gradient and very twisty. Max speed in a pushbike is about 65mph except in exceptional circumstances such as the gradient on the Manghen, so solo motorcycles generally have the edge.
I once rode pilote for a photographer during the Dauphine Libere, a one-week predecessor to the Tour de France run through the Alps, during which we chased pro bike racers including five-times Tour winner Miguel Indurain on descents. The only way to get past was to wait for a very long straight and then go past at 100mph... Staying in front with a pillion was not that easy.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
that is insane, but the difference is that you were just cruising along, i bet he was trying his darndest to get up that fast

The Pheasant

Reaction score
Visit site
All you have to do going down a mountain on a pushbike is let your brakes off. Road racing gears don't reach much above 50mph.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done 52 mph on a bicycle in the Canadian Rockies. As I recall, I was in the middle of the road, and no twisties were involved. I was scared to death, but at the same time very excited. If there had been a moto tooling along at 50 mph I would have dusted them.

If you get a steep enough grade and stay off of the brakes and either have a lot of guts (or are not too smart) you can go really really fast on a bicycle.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I would think to pass at that speed on a bicycle you would have to be a very good rider.

Were you riding like a girl? Opps you are a girl... never mind.

Hey hey I am just kidding so don't flame me about girl riders.

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Per my calcs, on a 700x23 tire, with a 53x11 gear, 50mph is 133rpm, while 60mph is 159rpm. In any case, that is some nice spinning.

vdbergj1

Manna
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll tell you its nice passing cagers on a bicycle - usually just to get caught again later. I've done 72km/h (45mph) on a MTB with nobbies on a tar section. That was good adrenaline for the next climbs.