GPS tether

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Are you guys using anything to tether your gps to your bike or do you just trust your mount? If you do use a tether what are you using and where did you get it?

I use a tether on the FZ6 as I have a fairly large GPS (Garmin 276 C). I attached a small ring to the back of the GPS thru my holder and have a simple short cable (with carbiner type ends) running from that to the handlebar. Nothing fancy. I just use a typical ram mount. I use this same GPS on my Goldwing as well. I used this GPS on my Goldwing for three years without a tether and I did not have any problems but I just decided to add an extra level of safety "just in case". The RAM mount held it firmly and I believe you can get a locking mount as well. I was initially more concerned that the GPS would come off the cradle more than come loose from the ram mount. I initially just used a black heavy rubber band around the outside edge of the cradle (keeps the attachment points clinched tight) and even that was fine by itself. Much depends on the size/weight of your GPS and what type of cradle you have that mounts to the Ram mount or whatever system you use. Basically, if either my GPS pops off from the cradle or the ram mount comes loose, the tether will keep it from falling off. I also use this GPS in my cages as well (bean bag mount) but without the tether attached. I just made these parts up myself. Sorry, I don't have any pics. My opinion is that the biggest concern is that the GPS attaches firmly to the cradle that is attached to the mount. I don't think your mount itself will fail.

Just did about 2500 miles with my Garmin 60cx on Ram Mount with no tether. Solid as a rock. HOWEVER - I added to my tankbag one of those necklaces that serve as ID card holders with a small carabiner hook on the end for my next trip. They give them away free at lots of places so cost for tether is zero.

Hotei

Good suggestions guys. I have a Zumo 550 that I shuttle between my FZ6 & Goldwing. Gotta love RAM mounts, portable & very secure fastener on that end. I wrap a mini-bungee cord aound the top clamp so the clamp doesnt accidenty pop up and let the GPS fall out of the cradle. They come with a mini set screw ,but its a pain to screw/unscrew, so I went with the bungee.

Back