gutting my muffler,need advice

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
found this how to
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbid4GwHM68]YouTube - Auspuff Mod Fz6[/ame]
sounds pretty badass near the end when taking off ...

i won't be doing this until i get my 2nd exhaust set from ebay
looking for some opinions / advice on this perticular method
translation for the youtube link:

"drill 2-3 holes through the area shown in the red rectangles,through each outlet"

now i believe there are 2 walls that need to drilled in before getting to the third wall located at the marked red areas?

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
Let us know how it goes, I wish i were like you and could afford a new exhaust. Stock sound kills me, esp with friends that all have aftermarket exhaust.

Stupid dual canister expensive FZ6 :'(

jwhelan

Reaction score
Visit site
now i believe there are 2 walls that need to drilled in before getting to the third wall located at the marked red areas?

There are no walls that need to be drilled before the wall located at the red areas. I have already done it to my exhaust.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks i'll keep that in mind,
im not going for the aftermarket i ordered another stock set which i will keep as a spare (only because i needed a shroud) ,
i hope it doesnt sound raspy and cheap though , anyone care to comment on the sound ?

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
so i did the mod , drilled 4 holes on each side , sounds good its not loud unless im riding sprited and quiet on the highway at normal speed
after drilling 3 holes it sounded like a lawnmover , i was getting annoyed but the 4th one perfected the sound somehow :D
ill try to get a vid up in a while

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
thats not gutting the muffler at all

thats drillinga few holes in the baffles

still sounds stock tome,
if u want to GUT the muffler u need to open it up and remove any restriction in there
thenit will sound like crap

aftermarket pipes for our bikes can be had cheap enough to do
will sound and Perform much better than anythign you can do at home

i never contemplated this for mine

went out and got me some leos withint 3 months :)

big_b

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.glenwoodvfd.com
I agree.. You cannot beat the sound of an aftermarket "free flowing exhaust"

I also did the exhaust drilling when I first gor my bike .. I could not believe how quiet it still was after drilling out the baffles and taking a long 1 1/2" dia. punch to it to open the baffle up ..

Now my Two Brothers exhaust is LOUD and I LOVE it !!!:rockon:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I myself don't like loud exhausts. I just got the biggest drill bit I could find and drilled thru the baffles. Sounds just right for me.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i'd say mine sounds pretty damn good and i paid 15 bux for a drillbit only , and also gutted the cat , i'll take a vid next weekend stay tuned:Flash:

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
quick update
there is a mistake the video i posted is what the muffler sounds like when you cut it open and remove all the inside pieces then weld it back.
the drawing is accurate though .

now what i did was take a 1 1/8 inch holesaw and drilled a hole beside the left side outlet , so now i have 3 outlets the same size .
it sounds very nice under 100 KM/H , its loud people will know you are there .
on the highway it sounds high pitched when at high rpm but its still quiet at cruising speed
i'll up a video clip sometime today

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
I drilled the baffels out (1 5\8 in ) a few months ago. Found that it helped the sound a little. Best part is i can here the exhaust when i blip the throttle on down shifts, only hear the wind before. Good luck.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for the terrible cellphone quality , the 2 pictures show the third hole i cut
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uIug6lXbPw]YouTube - MOV00104[/ame]

metzgaa

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty new to all this, i'm tired of the stock sound, but I don't want to spend the big bucks on aftermarket right now. I've been doing some research, and I came across this picture, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with what you guys have done. FZ6 goes loud and far - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN
let me know what this guy is doing to his exhaust, and if this is a good idea or not. Thank you

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty new to all this, i'm tired of the stock sound, but I don't want to spend the big bucks on aftermarket right now. I've been doing some research, and I came across this picture, and I'm not sure if it has anything to do with what you guys have done. FZ6 goes loud and far - | Motorbike reviews | Latest Bike Videos | MCN
let me know what this guy is doing to his exhaust, and if this is a good idea or not. Thank you

He has aftermarket pipes. Then he took out the Baffles in the pipes. That made the bike very loud. If you want a very loud bike, it is a good idea.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for the terrible cellphone quality , the 2 pictures show the third hole i cut
YouTube - MOV00104
I'm not loving the idea of drilling a hole behind the plastic heatshield. You may find that melts if the heat coming from the exhaust is too hot. Cutting the cat will help with the heat, but I'd keep an eye on it.

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not loving the idea of drilling a hole behind the plastic heatshield. You may find that melts if the heat coming from the exhaust is too hot. Cutting the cat will help with the heat, but I'd keep an eye on it.

im watching it,it hasnt melted on me i did cut the hole where i did for the same reason , to keep the plastic cooler (i can always put heat wrap behind the plastic to keep it cool )

it sounds unique though i am thinking to mod it some more if i do i will update with a high quality vid

red06

Reaction score
Visit site
i thought id share my honest opinion , after throwing that muffler into the dumpster . dont mod the stock muffler , not even drill baffles , order a set of aftermarket :thumbup: