Hall's Gap here I come.

Just spoke to Mikey...he just arrived at Halls Gap...alive & well, he got there at 11.30pm SA time....after a very hairy ride...dodging Roo's, Possums, Deer, etc, etc...and according to him he had a very very close encounter with a roo...fortuneatly not too close that he hit it.

Anyway, just thought i would let everyone know that Mike has arrived at his destination in one piece.

He even got rained on...rode through 2 hours of rain....bet he did'nt think that was going to happen...also said that at times, he was down to 20km/h due to Wildlife hazards.

Will be in contat with him, while he is away, and will keep you lot posted!

:rockon:

:steve:AWESOME!

Just got back from my trip.

Trip over was a horror...lol. Head wind picked up just as I was leaving. Got caught at 55km/h behind a dawdler with a copper behind me so I couldn't over take (not to mention the 20 minute wait for a road works traffic light and the ferry at Wellington). So I was about 200km short of where I planned to be when roo o'clock came round.

Got rained on for 200km and there was a pretty spectacular lightning show in the Grampians as i was heading up:scared:....lol.

The wildlife was prolific and at one point I did actually make shoulder to head contact with a skippy...lol.:rockon:. No harm to bike or 'roo. A slightly sore shoulder (roo heads are hard and it missed my armour). I was only going about 35-40km/h at that point so I slowed down some more. 2 jumped out in front of me and headed in the same direction just in front of me and I had to "split" them...lol. Carried the front wheel...lol.

A possum held me up for about 15 minutes as I stopped and waited for him to move....so he didn't. I thought, "OK I go around you." So then he moved into my path:spank:. I wasn't game to turn off my lights as I didn't want to get rear ended by some psycho in a ute with a bull bar....lol.

Eventually it got out of my way and I was off again:cheer:...at 25kays...lol.

Got over the mountains and down to Hall's Gap only to be confronted with emus.....I remember thinking that that was it...couldn't possibly be anything else in the short distance to go....Wrong again. Deer running through the town...lol.

I should've had my video camera on but I was saving card space for the photos I was going to take so I didn't use it....Doh.:banghead:

Got to my motel and set myself up and couldn't sleep...lol. I reckon one of the servo's I stopped at spikes the dimsims, as I was "buzzing" half hour later for quite some time....LMAO

Dawn came and I got up nice and early for my complimentary brekkie and walked outside to see...OMG! That place is magnificent! I look out across the browned off lawn to see kangarros as far as the eye could see...lol...no wonder I had so much trouble. I was still dodging them coming up the driveway. Sat and had brekkie, admiring the view and started planning my escapades.

Here's some pics.....More in a bit:thumbup:

Attachments

• P2200021.jpg
    P2200021.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 18
I really did want to put my bung knee to the test and do some geocaches but I didn't want to go too hardcore. So in order to roughly map out where they were in relation to the roads and tracks I had to ride all the roads with my gps on...lol...Aaawww! Do I have to?....lol. Off I went...lol. Did every single non-dirt road in the Grampians and was back in time for lunch with only one slightly psycho Rock Wallaby to mar the experience...lol.....while I had lunch I discovered, much to my chagrin, my gps had turned itself off....So off I went again with it strapped to my wrist so I could see when it lost signal and hit enter...lol. So after having done every road in the Gramps again and seeing the same Rock Wallaby jump out at the same place:eek: I set off for a fish at the spot I had mapped out over 12 months ago......Stupid drought:spank::spank:. Would've needed to go for a walk but didn't really leave enough time as the sun goes down early with all the mountains around you and I didn't want to get caught out again.....so off i went for a ride. I was getting a better feel for things now after taking it very easy ( there are no advisory signs up there) and so I did some "sports riding":rockon:. My tires have never looked rounder...lol. Did this until semi sunset and then headed down to scope some of the caches out..... FAR too hardcore for my bung knee except for a few which would have to be a night stealth mish...lol.

Fish and chips for tea and check out some of the hot rods that were in town for a cruise:rockon:( got to get lucky once in a while ).

I then headed back to base and set up my bike to get the skippies comfie with it as I wanted a pic with it surrounded by roos. 2 hours later it wasn't to be so I gave up and moved it back in front of my room and alarmed it up.

I was just about to start a conversation with one of the rodders when a Euro wasp set my disc lock screamer off...lol...WTF?

Any how, that was it for day one. I learned that I would need my yak to do any serious fishing (or a knee transplant...lol), and that tourists anywhere can really make a mess of things ( guy stopped in the middle of the lane to wait for his friends to catch up....it's all good though...he had hazzards on:banghead:)

I was pulling out of an intersection and I saw a family stopped with hazzards on and thought...OMG...what a carp spot to break down. So I quickly put on my good guy outfit (cape and all) and zoom up to lend a hand. I stop next to the window and ask if they are OK. Yup...just waiting for their friends:banghead:...."There's a turnout just up the road that would be safer mate." But apparently they were happier where they were:disapprove::rtfm:.

Anyhow. More pics and more to come.:thumbup:

First 2 are the view from Reid's Lookout and then there are a couple from Boroka lookout overlooking Hall's Gap. On the right hand side of the road there is a small bare patch. That's the motel I stayed at.

I got up early this morning to do some cacheing and there were people about so I had to abort...DOH!....Anyhow, had brekkie and did some more sight seeing before heading home.

More pics.

Makenzie Falls and assorted others.

Stopped at Victor on the way home for a coffee and headed home via Delamere.

Great stress relief trip. A great short holiday and recce for any future trips:rockon::rockon::D.

Attachments

• P2210072.jpg
    P2210072.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 26
The Victorian Gov't seems to want to stop motorbike prangs:rockon::rockon::cheer::thumbup:.

Advisory signs on corners might help more than these though.

The big sign has a section at the bottom that say "slow down".

It only seemed to come on when I rode past, so I thought I'd try out a theory.

I managed to get past it twice without seeing it come on.....had to be really "on it" though...lol.

Cheers
Mike

Yay....the ever popular panoramic shots.:thumbup:

First one down into Hall's Gap. The second one is across Hall's Gap.

Cheers
Mike

One last little story...lol. At Wellington on my return trip I Got on the ferry last. The ferryman:eek:(don't pay him) filled up one lane and had me zoom down the other. when we got to the other side this legend of a human being:rockon::cheer::thumbup::D Let me go first...all those cages already overtaken:bow::steve::wav:

He's got my vote for most useful dude of the day:thumbup:

Was nice basking in the ambiance:D. Nice spot.

Oh! Then there was the guy at Coonalpyn servo who rides a FJ1300 who got laughed at and payed out buy the girls behind the counter when he came out and was yakking to me while he drooled over my beast for 1/2 an hour...lol.

Cheers
Mike

Cool panorama shots.

Pity that poor bloke in the last photo though, he an ugly bugga, isn't he :rof:
Ya gotta get the spelling right though :Flip:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlboro_Man

:)

I never did smell good....er, I mean spell good....lol.

It's actually kind of a good photo.....it's just that you've got a durrie in your hand again....LMAO.

1st class debrief Mike and some stunning pic's to match :thumbup: , sounds like a fantastic albeit 'interesting' adventure.....You have the worst luck with our native wildlife mate :shakehead: , what did you do to them to make them so upset :confused: :D

1st class debrief Mike and some stunning pic's to match :thumbup: , sounds like a fantastic albeit 'interesting' adventure.....You have the worst luck with our native wildlife mate :shakehead: , what did you do to them to make them so upset :confused: :D

Dunno mate. Maybe they were jealous of hairy beast who got to ride the bike.

I even checked out my roo scarer before I left Horsham.

Once under 50km/h said roo scarer becomes useless of course...lol.

If I had've just shot through at 100km/h I'd have been fine.

'Cause my bike's so quiet they see light coming and hide behind a tree. Then when they hear my bike coming they freak out (like skippies do) and run straight out onto the road screaming Bansai (Baby tree?:confused:).

At this point I squeal like a 6 year old girl and lift my rear wheel in the air...lol...dropping it in time to drag the rear brake and swerve to miss in most cases...another advertisement for loud pipes:thumbup:.

Dunno mate. Maybe they were jealous of hairy beast who got to ride the bike.

I even checked out my roo scarer before I left Horsham.

Once under 50km/h said roo scarer becomes useless of course...lol.

If I had've just shot through at 100km/h I'd have been fine.

'Cause my bike's so quiet they see light coming and hide behind a tree. Then when they hear my bike coming they freak out (like skippies do) and run straight out onto the road screaming Bansai (Baby tree?:confused:).

At this point I squeal like a 6 year old girl and lift my rear wheel in the air...lol...dropping it in time to drag the rear brake and swerve to miss in most cases...another advertisement for loud pipes:thumbup:.

PMSL , a sreaming little bitch :D........Big hairy beast fighting kangroo's :D , gee that would have to look like this :thumbup:

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_NqulhmZWc&feature=PlayList&p=0EF79C0E7B68337E&playnext=1&index=18[/nomedia]

what's this about loud pipes...and good press about em from mikey! Time for some TB's hey mikey?:rockon:

Last edited:
what's this about loud pipes...and good press about em from mikey! Time for some TB's hey mikey?:rockon:

Hey, I've got nothing against loud pipes. It's only that I don't need the bull5h1t from the law for having them, if you know what I mean.

If I do go loud it will be (probably) a debaffle, so the cops won't even know. Or a straight through 2 inch "y" setup with no muffler. There's a vid on here some where about it...sounded about right to me...lol.

I don't want to lose all my back pressure though so most likely a debaffle is on the cards.

Cheers
Mike

Back