HEED caged engine guards

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have been thinking about getting an engine guard for a while and found this Heed set up on e-bay.
They are constructed from steel tubing and powder coated black.
Heed offer free postage in Europe and the goods came double packed in cardboard and cellophane with foam padding to protect the paint.
The shipping time to Ireland was 5 days.

57d643b4.jpg

cc914608.jpg

87199b94.jpg

778b603c.jpg

The installation is a 20 minute job that took and hour with the assistance of my three children (6,5,4 year-olds).
I also changed the oil filter and oil as the guard needs to be removed to access the filter. Which for me is not any hardship as I change the oil and filter every summer.
5243a0d1.jpg

32dc7718.jpg

The kit comes with very clear instructions in both English and Polish.
When installing the left hand side you need two ratchets and extension bars as when you twist the left bolt the right nut turns.
When installing the right hand side guard the bike needs to be on the side stand as the center stand when down stops removal of the engine bolt.
b2149a7f.jpg

e65673c4.jpg

The upper part of the mount on both sides is secured to the engine mount the same way that the sliders are secured. The kit comes with new upper mounting bolts that fit perfectly.
e65673c4.jpg

32dc7718.jpg

I am happy with the product and at €114.00 they are comparable in cost with a decent set of frame sliders.
The only two negatives I can think of at the moment is that the guard will probably allow the fairing to hit the floor. Where the sliders don't.
Removing the guard to get to the oil filter might be a pain for some owners.
daf31e65.jpg
8ef1c608.jpg

Neil

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks sweet :thumbup:

I'm presently looking into engine guards as I changed my insurance from full cover to 3rd party recently, I guess I figured it didn't matter if the insurance paid for it.
I think it might look even better on my black engine ;)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
how much do that thing weigh? looks like you could lose about 5-10 hp

Nelly's MotoGP sponsors are going to be pissed when they find out he added those let alone the 0.02 seconds he'll lose in the 1/4 mile! LOL! :p

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nelly's MotoGP sponsors are going to be pissed when they find out he added those let alone the 0.02 seconds he'll lose in the 1/4 mile! LOL! :p
Actually I have recently been riding @ no more than 7000rpm to see what the tank range difference would be. Funny enough I am getting 326 km (202.5 miles) amazing compared to the usual 241km (150 miles).

Neil

tyler2011

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those look very similar to the Sw-motech crash bars I have on my FZ. They are seen here on twisted throttle: SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'09)

The upper mount is a little different and highway pegs help on long rides although I don't think they look good. Function first tho for me. The picture is from before I put on highway pegs on the vertical bars just as the sharp bend starts. For me, 5'10", I want them a couple inches further forward to be perfect but they are good where they are.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Nothing like a set of good case guards. Frame sliders only do so much. Adding these in is a very good idea.