Hello and a question.

iBeef

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I've recently passed my bike test and purchased a 2007 fz6 s2 with 11k miles on the clock in black. I absolutely love the bike and I'm very happy with my choice, I'm just taking it steady to start off with. It's a lot faster than the bike I learnt on!

Here's a pic of the bike:
ee03626ee95c995c0d7b1a5bbc527724.jpg

I do have one question though, as the weather was nice this weekend I took it out for my first few solo rides (bar the day I picked it up) and had a great time on it. When I got back on Saturday however I noticed a slight tick that wasn't there when the engine was cold. I've recorded a few videos and wondered if you guys could tell me if my engine sounds normal? I've read that ticking can be a result of the cct but the videos I've watched sound horiffic compared to mine. I've also watched a few videos of an fz6 running normally and it sounds similar to mine. I suppose this is just for peace of mind because if I do have something to worry about I can get it done under warranty.

Cold engine:
https://youtu.be/oIhV-o33E6Y

Warm engine:
https://youtu.be/U3YgDLZiI2k

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to becoming a member of this community :).

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that is normal although you can`t really tell from a video. I would recommend an oil change just to be sure and see how it goes. You never really know how long that oil has been in there.
Also i have noticed that for some reason on my bike when i put 95 octane the noise is higher rather when i put 98 octane, but maybe its just my mind playing tricks :)

iBeef

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that is normal although you can`t really tell from a video. I would recommend an oil change just to be sure and see how it goes. You never really know how long that oil has been in there.
Also i have noticed that for some reason on my bike when i put 95 octane the noise is higher rather when i put 98 octane, but maybe its just my mind playing tricks :)
Thanks for the reply,

It was serviced when I brought it from a bike shop local to me so the oil shouldn't be an issue. I'll keep an ear out for the engine, just wanted to make sure I wasn't causing any damage. I'll look into the fuel, I put standard unleaded in it when I picked it up, is it ok to run high octane fuel?

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Higher octane does not mean more power. Higher octane means higher Knock resistance usually needed on high compression engines. So less octane is a problem, higher octane is OK.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and yes, the Ravens are beautiful bikes!

Grab a long wood dowl or real long screw driver and place one end to your ear the other on the engine block. Specifically the head, CCT area and to the sides of the intake and exhaust ports. Listen for a tap sound....

Off hand the tap tap tap sounds like some of the valves are loose. I adjusted my 08 at 21,000 mi. All of the exhausts were loose and out of spec. The intakes were fine.

Walk around sounded like this:
Soundcloud MP3 FZ6 excessive lash

iBeef

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and yes, the Ravens are beautiful bikes!

Grab a long wood dowl or real long screw driver and place one end to your ear the other on the engine block. Specifically the head, CCT area and to the sides of the intake and exhaust ports. Listen for a tap sound....

Off hand the tap tap tap sounds like some of the valves are loose. I adjusted my 08 at 21,000 mi. All of the exhausts were loose and out of spec. The intakes were fine.

Walk around sounded like this:
Soundcloud MP3 FZ6 excessive lash
Thanks and yeah they are!

Next time I go out for a ride I'll have a listen at the end of my ride. Your sound clip does sound similar to mine :/ is this a major issue? I imagine it's something hard to get done on warranty if it's only a slight noise. It does seem like they all tap a bit to a certain extent. Do you have a sound clip of after you sorted your valves?

Thanks.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, dealer is not gonna help you.

Others had posted values upon checking them and were twice as loose as mine and none have dropped keepers or valves (think mass destruction). That said, use the ear - stick test. You'll hear a distinctive tap tap tap. The chain will make buzz or a whirr.

Here is the soundclip after. No tapping....

Soundcloud FZ6 MP3 Audio

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

Listening to the audio's, I don't hear anything unusual.

Remember too, the muffler keeps the bike EXTREMELY quiet making any other noises more noticeable.

Also with that low a mileage, a bad CCT, worn chain is very unlikely.

I would be curious what weight oil they put in the engine...

iBeef

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, dealer is not gonna help you.

Others had posted values upon checking them and were twice as loose as mine and none have dropped keepers or valves (think mass destruction). That said, use the ear - stick test. You'll hear a distinctive tap tap tap. The chain will make buzz or a whirr.

Here is the soundclip after. No tapping....

Soundcloud FZ6 MP3 Audio
Thanks for the sound clip, I think I'm just going to keep an eye (ear) on it for the moment. I will deffo do the screwdriver tip next time I go out for a ride :).
Welcome to the forum!

Listening to the audio's, I don't hear anything unusual.

Remember too, the muffler keeps the bike EXTREMELY quiet making any other noises more noticeable.

Also with that low a mileage, a bad CCT, worn chain is very unlikely.

I would be curious what weight oil they put in the engine...

I've read a lot about these engines being a little tappy so maybe it's me being paranoid. I'll just see if it gets any worse.

I did wonder, I know garages etc. tend to use bulk oil that isn't the best quality. I normally do my own car servicing and only use quality stuff. It might be worth dropping the oil for peace of mind. I've got a few parts ready to go on so I'll probs do it then.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Scott, I know you had said you couldn't hear mine tap when I first posted the audio. Can you pick out the tap now? There are the normal noises and then there are the taps. Once you hear them in person much easier to cancel out the other noises. After adjusting lash, so much quieter and smoother running.

And yes, as it warmed they did become more obvious. Mind you there were only three you could pinpoint with a screwdriver.

As for oil - JM2C, stay away from mobil1... esp the race products....