Helmet Visor Tint Choice

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking of getting either a light smoke or dark smoke for my helmet visor.. I usually wear sunglasses on my eyes anyways (for when the visor is flipped up and for really sunny days).. I like the idea of keeping the glasses, but i am sick of getting that raccoon tan line on the really sunny days... any opinions on weather i should aim for a light smoke or dark? :thumbup:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a dark smoke visor (and keep a clear one with me too)

I find the light smoke ones don't really do much, and I have quite sensitive eyes.

BatmanFZ6

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a mirrored visor which is great on sunny days but sucks at night. I am going to change up to a deal on my clear visor.

stetsonxd

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a dark smoke. like said above the light smoke does not do much when it is really sunny. if i plan to be out all day or into the night i bring along the clear one for night.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
If you won't be carrying a clear visor for night riding, I think your only choice is the light smoke. I wear a light smoke myself, and it's nice during the day (I don't feel the need to wear sunglasses unless it's really bright), but at night, I sometimes wish that I didn't have the smoke. I flip it up when I ride slowly because it's definitely noticeable.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
> what am i facing at night

Be like Corey Hart and wear your sunglasses at night. Blah

Dark is my vote.

Due for a new helmet? Look into one with a built-in sun visor. Will probably be my next move as I can't wear contacts and will likely be required to wear glasses when driving after I renew my license. E.g., Helmets With Internal Sun Visor - RevZilla

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only use a clear visor since I very frequently ride at night. Its easier to use sunglasses during the day than carry and switch visors. Then I even have sunglasses to wear when off the bike. Dark smoke looks cool, but its too much of a hassle to me to constantly be switching. You could use dark smoke, and carry clear safety glasses to wear at night, but your visopr will have to be up the whole time.

jimmyfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
On sunny days you have to go dark smoke. A buddy of mine wears the Bell RS-1 helmet and bought the transition visor that goes dark in sunlight and clear at night. It's really nice not to have to remember to bring the extra visor or sunglasses. I've seen a couple of other helmets that have similar visors but I can't remember what brand/model they were.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I was a dark visor and then carry a clear if I know I'll be out late. I've ridden with a dark visor at night but generally if I get caught out I'm nearly always back within the city limits and street lights help even with a dark visor, though the police don't like it and chances of getting a fine.
I said was as I've just bought a Shoei GT Air helmet which has a internal dark visor. I've yet to use it but that seems to be the future.
But a dark outer visor does look cool :D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I would not ride at night with a tinted visor. My spare visor came with a carrying case that I can zip to my body under my jacket if need be. I also tried a photochromatic visor in the past, but it didn't go dark enough in the daylight, and obscured vision a little at night.

If you have an arai helmet they have a new dual visor system with an external flip up tinted visor.

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a helmet with a set of built-in, internal drop down, heavily tinted "sunglasses". The helmet also has an outer clear visor. That gives me the best of both worlds, and they're both always with me. I'll never go back to switching visors again! The light smoke visor I originally thought I'd need with this helmet is quietly gathering dust in the back of the closet. (Though it must be said, once every month I take an early morning trip directly into the rising sun, which is then at a very low angle, and there's nothing in this world sufficient to make it pleasant to stare directly at the rising sun.)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a dark smoke visor and i wear oakley flak jackets xlj underneath. At night, I change the oakley's lenses to orange or clears, and continue with the dark shield. Usually, the amount of light at night is sufficient for this setup.

For my next helmet, i'm considering one with an internal shield - this should save putting the glasses on/taking them off.

stetsonxd

Reaction score
Visit site
> what am i facing at night

Be like Corey Hart and wear your sunglasses at night. Blah

Dark is my vote.

Due for a new helmet? Look into one with a built-in sun visor. Will probably be my next move as I can't wear contacts and will likely be required to wear glasses when driving after I renew my license. E.g., Helmets With Internal Sun Visor - RevZilla

ive tried a helmet with a built in sun visor and was not a fan. I personally could not focus enough because i could see the gaps where the visor didnt cover. Im sure its different for others, thats just my experience.

Even with light smoke your going to have trouble at night. so id say either have 2 visors with you or stick with clear visor and sun glasses.

you could also get some big granny glasses to cover the exposed areas.Blah
2108SY.jpg

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
One solution I found was the Shoei GT-Air with an internal drop down sun visor for day use. For me it works great with prescription glasses too.

Beats the granny glasses above.

Wildcat_drvr

Great-Grandpaw!
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear an Arai Corsair V.
Dark Visor for day and a clear for night.
I'm a night-owl,
Sun comes up when I'm going to bed.
How do ya carry a curved visor,
Without wearing a back pack just for the visor?
I wrap my spare visor in a micro-fiber towel,
Then place it in a pillow-case!
Perfect fit.
Put it on the passenger seat with the curve of the visor hugging the seat.
Tie it down with bungys or a short piece of rope.
I use Glow in the dark rope from Harbor Freight.
If you use a black pillow-case it blends right in.
Best way I've found to carry a spare visor.
Try it you'll like it!
:cool:
Rich

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an Arai one, but this is very similar to mine

I can clip it to my body, or more usually i just throw it in my top box or rucksack.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
My daylight setup is 'crazy'. I've got XR1100, dark visor, dark pinlock insert and even this

ventilan_shoei_xr_1000_steel.jpg

A Sunax inside extra 'thing'. All together they make things go quite dark ;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Light smoke will not do too much. The benefits of having a dark or mirrored shield is to keep the intensity of the heat off your face. A must if you plan to ride during the summers in Las Vegas or anywhere in which the intensity of the sun is extreme, such as high altitudes. Carrying clear glasses for night is a good option, rather than carrying two shields. My riding sunglasses are transition so I have dual use to go along with my mirrored visor.

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I had been debating this also. I will probably get a new helmet next year. While we were out riding yesterday my sunglasses broke. I usually raise my visor when going through town just for the extra air, but without my sunglasses on it would make my eyes water. However, I really like the helmets with the smaller built in visor behind the regular visor. Marcin how do you like that?